Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

saabsaab wrote: »
    Just me? Hardly, I would say that I'm thankfully in the majority on this. Just look at the poll on this thread 85% in favour of greater control.

The poll that’s 10 months old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Yeah, thats an outright lie.

There was less than 15 flights into Dublin on Wednesday for the entire 24 hour period. Only ten going out. thats less than 5000 passengers in the entire day and under 2000 outgoing

There was a checkpoint at departures in both terminal 1 and terminal 2. Immigration at the security area and 4 Gardai on the beat inside the building.

That's a bit disingenuous to talk about arrivals on 17th March. There are 51 flights arriving on 19th March including 2 from Ethiopia. Why on earth have we flights from Addis Ababa flying into Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The poll that’s 10 months old?

I doubt that much has changed especially after what people saw after Christmas. 5km? and airtravel, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Re the now fairly dated poll, have we defined high risk?

Not being smart I promise but what case number per 100,000 is deemed high risk or are we now just talking about Brasil etc.?

I doubt that much has changed especially after what people saw after Christmas. 5km? and airtravel, no.

but now we have PCR tests, essential travel only, quarantine from high risk countries, vaccine / PCR passports for EU travel on the way, a vaccination programme, a population that is tired of this whole thing.

I think that you should ask a mod if you can start a new thread and refresh a poll, accepting that we have a testing regime and quarantine from certain countries. And ask instead whether people want mandatory hotel quarantine, no travel, and a ZC strategy, which is clearly what you want. See whether you get 85%. Define the poll properly and start afresh

• Advertisement

Just me? Hardly, I would say that I'm thankfully in the majority on this. Just look at the poll on this thread 85% in favour of greater control.

You can't seriously be trying to argue this with me. You represent you, no one else and it's your opinion. I have my opinion but then I need to travel and the one thing that is obvious in all of this, people are very quick to demand a ban on activities that wont effect them or they don't think will effect them.

Let's see how many people that have family abroad vote to close the airports and ports then demand to be allowed travel for a funeral or medical emergency. Let's see how many people reliant on medication would vote to close the them and then moan when their meds run out.

Again, we are an island. An island with a population of recent immigration that still have parents, siblings, etc in other countries. An island that is reliant on imports for many necessary items.

So yeah, it's all a matter of opinion and we differ on this subject and that's fine too.

Rodin wrote: »
    That's a bit disingenuous to talk about arrivals on 17th March. There are 51 flights arriving on 19th March including 2 from Ethiopia. Why on earth have we flights from Addis Ababa flying into Ireland?

You realise I was referring to a comment above mine concerning that exact date right? I mean, I quoted it in my comment.

I didn't pick it but as YOU have mentioned the 19th. I see 46 flights in total, 4 internal and I don't see any from ethiopia. In fact, there's no direct flights between the two countries.

As the majority of flights are Ryanair at 20 flights followed by aer lingus at 13. I would also point out that Dublin is a hub for both companies. All the planes and staff return to Ireland even if empty.

I would then almost point out that hauliers and seamen are just two industries that need to fly out in order to bring supplies to you. In some cases those supplies are brought in empty planes.

How many are really essential depends on your own opinion in regards what is essential but the vast majority fall within the guidelines as 'essential'.

I've had a total of three weeks of lockdown since Covid-19 began, and even then I could walk to the shop. I wonder if the people here advocating international travel would argue that Vietnam should open its borders and subject the country to continuous lockdowns like the rest of the world.

All I see in this thread is an awful state of affairs being used to justify an awful state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I've had a total of three weeks of lockdown since Covid-19 began, and even then I could walk to the shop. I wonder if the people here advocating international travel would argue that Vietnam should open its borders and subject the country to continuous lockdowns like the rest of the world.

All I see in this thread is an awful state of affairs being used to justify an awful state of affairs.

'Advocating international travel' is such a broad term to mention many different opinions on here. I think there should be a better plan for travel even if I don't think everything should open up. There should have been an efficient testing system in place for travel quite a while ago. I don't agree with those that think it should just all open again or that 'sun holidays' are very important, but there are other options instead of heavy fines continuing for months just to lazily try and stop people from travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

but now we have PCR tests, essential travel only, quarantine from high risk countries, vaccine / PCR passports for EU travel on the way, a vaccination programme, a population that is tired of this whole thing.

I think that you should ask a mod if you can start a new thread and refresh a poll, accepting that we have a testing regime and quarantine from certain countries. And ask instead whether people want mandatory hotel quarantine, no travel, and a ZC strategy, which is clearly what you want. See whether you get 85%. Define the poll properly and start afresh

PCR can be evaded by some variants now. This year it's not as gold standard as it was last year.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1371808986345922560?s=20

A properly set up new poll? Fire ahead if you want to I doubt that after what we saw after Christmas that opinions have changed much.

People should wait till the vaccine is rolled out how can anyone sensible argue with this?

• Advertisement

A properly set up new poll? Fire ahead if you want to I doubt that after what we saw after Christmas that opinions have changed much.

People should wait till the vaccine is rolled out how can anyone sensible argue with this?

What do you mean by "rolled out". Do you mean to everyone? Everyone who is vulnerable? Everyone in Ireland? Everyone in Europe? Everyone in the world? because we are all interconnected

Seems like that will take a very long time. And in the meantime, there'll be vaccine passports and we'll be getting on with things. Including travel. The volume of reports of countries planning opening up to travel from May is increasing by the day

What do you mean by "rolled out". Do you mean to everyone? Everyone who is vulnerable? Everyone in Ireland? Everyone in Europe? Everyone in the world? because we are all interconnected

Seems like that will take a very long time. And in the meantime, there'll be vaccine passports and we'll be getting on with things. Including travel. The volume of reports of countries planning opening up to travel from May is increasing by the day

What I mean is not now. Number are rising again when we get to the point of everyone needing a valid vaccine passport that would be fine but we are way off that. The vaccine should be rolled out to over 50% of the population, including all or nearly all of the vulnerable by the end of June 2021. Until then no travel.

PCR can be evaded by some variants now. This year it's not as gold standard as it was last year.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1371808986345922560?s=20

This is bad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

You can't seriously be trying to argue this with me. You represent you, no one else and it's your opinion. I have my opinion but then I need to travel and the one thing that is obvious in all of this, people are very quick to demand a ban on activities that wont effect them or they don't think will effect them.

Let's see how many people that have family abroad vote to close the airports and ports then demand to be allowed travel for a funeral or medical emergency. Let's see how many people reliant on medication would vote to close the them and then moan when their meds run out.

Again, we are an island. An island with a population of recent immigration that still have parents, siblings, etc in other countries. An island that is reliant on imports for many necessary items.

So yeah, it's all a matter of opinion and we differ on this subject and that's fine too.

You realise I was referring to a comment above mine concerning that exact date right? I mean, I quoted it in my comment.

I didn't pick it but as YOU have mentioned the 19th. I see 46 flights in total, 4 internal and I don't see any from ethiopia. In fact, there's no direct flights between the two countries.

As the majority of flights are Ryanair at 20 flights followed by aer lingus at 13. I would also point out that Dublin is a hub for both companies. All the planes and staff return to Ireland even if empty.

I would then almost point out that hauliers and seamen are just two industries that need to fly out in order to bring supplies to you. In some cases those supplies are brought in empty planes.

How many are really essential depends on your own opinion in regards what is essential but the vast majority fall within the guidelines as 'essential'.

All of my family live abroad, I think there needs to be serious restrictions and quarantine for flights. The world is too busy trying to get back to the past when the only way we can actually all do that is by making the very serious adjustments in the short term that will help that aim. This government says it's pointless at restricting travel because of the border, but they aren't willing to be the one that takes the first step and puts pressure on their neighbour to tighten up their controls. We are going to be stuck in an endless cycle until all countries cop on, vaccines alone won't cure this problem.

What I mean is not now. Number are rising again when we get to the point of everyone needing a valid vaccine passport that would be fine but we are way off that. The vaccine should be rolled out to over 50% of the population, including all or nearly all of the vulnerable by the end of June 2021. Until then no travel.

so you're good with travel from July? That's a step forward I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Probes wrote: »
    This government says it's pointless at restricting travel because of the border, but they aren't willing to be the one that takes the first step and puts pressure on their neighbour to tighten up their controls. We are going to be stuck in an endless cycle until all countries cop on, vaccines alone won't cure this problem.

Why would Northern Ireland tighten up their controls? They are ahead of us with vaccines, Northern Ireland is focusing on opening up and removing restrictions now, not closing down further.

In fact Northern Ireland should be the ones telling us to get our act together at this point in time.

Probes wrote: »
    All of my family live abroad, I think there needs to be serious restrictions and quarantine for flights. The world is too busy trying to get back to the past when the only way we can actually all do that is by making the very serious adjustments in the short term that will help that aim. This government says it's pointless at restricting travel because of the border, but they aren't willing to be the one that takes the first step and puts pressure on their neighbour to tighten up their controls. We are going to be stuck in an endless cycle until all countries cop on, vaccines alone won't cure this problem.

So you are suggesting that you think people shouldn't be allowed travel to their fathers funeral or if their child is hospitalized?

And you yourself won't travel in those circumstances?

You were saying...

You were saying...

Indeed I was.

You have something of real evidence? Like the actual flight details?

Indeed I was.

You have something of real evidence? Like the actual flight details?

Anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Anything else?

If they have a negative PCR test then what harm is it with them flying here? At least with the negative test pre flight they will be a lot lot less likely to have coronavirus than the average person here not tested. When they are here they'll be expected to following all our restriction rules like the rest of the people in the country. I don't know what locking people in hotels is going to achieve and the think the government have realised how stupid the whole thing is and that's why they are delaying it as long as possible. They'll hope in a few months with the vaccines the quarentining hotels will be forgotten about and they won't even start using them. Its such a red herring issue and people caljng for it, especially politicians, should be embarrassed for themselves.

Klonker wrote: »
    If they have a negative PCR test then what harm is it with them flying here? At least with the negative test pre flight they will be a lot lot less likely to have coronavirus than the average person here not tested. When they are here they'll be expected to following all our restriction rules like the rest of the people in the country. I don't know what locking people in hotels is going to achieve and the think the government have realised how stupid the whole thing is and that's why they are delaying it as long as possible. They'll hope in a few months with the vaccines the quarentining hotels will be forgotten about and they won't even start using them. Its such a red herring issue and people caljng for it, especially politicians, should be embarrassed for themselves.

Because people can pay to get a falsified test, because tests can have false negatives and because a swab is only ever going to be as good as the person doing the swabbing.
    I've seen some self-swabbing and its a disaster.

Expected to follow all our restriction rules? Which aren't being enforced?
    To me the idea of quarantine is to make it so undesirable that people choose not to travel... it's why I don't like the fining system like the travellers funeral in Leitrim. They'd already travelled. What good is fining them 100 yoyos each?

Because people can pay to get a falsified test, because tests can have false negatives and because a swab is only ever going to be as good as the person doing the swabbing.
    I've seen some self-swabbing and its a disaster.

Expected to follow all our restriction rules? Which aren't being enforced?
    To me the idea of quarantine is to make it so undesirable that people choose not to travel... it's why I don't like the fining system like the travellers funeral in Leitrim. They'd already travelled. What good is fining them 100 yoyos each?

So lock people up for 2 weeks at a cost of €2000 because they can't authenticate tests. I think that's a joke tbh. A negative test and in you come sounds great to me. Can't wait until the EU vaccine/test/antibody travel rules kicks off, hopefully we get a lot of tourists here this summer.

They'll have to follow the same rules here as the rest of us, only they'll have a negative test from just a few days prior so a lot less likely ot have covid than the average person walking around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

My in laws just grabbed a flight to here from UK in July by then they will have had their full Vax & will take a PCR test. Very hopefull after year & a half �� I can't see why they'd be any more risk to us than anyone here?

DSN wrote: »
    My in laws just grabbed a flight to here from UK in July by then they will have had their full Vax & will take a PCR test. Very hopefull after year & a half �� I can't see why they'd be any more risk to us than anyone here?

We'll know the criteria closer to the time but if they have the vaccines they shouldn't need the PCR too at that stage. Obviously they can still get for their own reasons but I don't think it'll be required.

Klonker wrote: »
    So lock people up for 2 weeks at a cost of €2000 because they can't authenticate tests. I think that's a joke tbh. A negative test and in you come sounds great to me. Can't wait until the EU vaccine/test/antibody travel rules kicks off, hopefully we get a lot of tourists here this summer.

They'll have to follow the same rules here as the rest of us, only they'll have a negative test from just a few days prior so a lot less likely ot have covid than the average person walking around here.

Id make it 10 grand.
    And the rules aren't enforced for us so would they be for people travelling?
    The only countries to have performed well with Covid are those with strict border control and restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Anything else?

This is a fuel stop en route to the USA. No passengers get on or off in Dublin. It’s done because of the high elevation in Addis Ababa and performance limitations associated with that.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    This is a fuel stop en route to the USA. No passengers get on or off in Dublin. It’s done because of the high elevation in Addis Ababa and performance limitations associated with that.

Interesting but I don't understand it.
    A plane spends most of its time at an altitude far greater than Addis Ababa. Im surprised a dreamliner can't fly from Ethiopia to the US or is it going to the west coast?
    Isn't it a dreamliner that goes from London to Perth?

Id make it 10 grand.
    And the rules aren't enforced for us so would they be for people travelling?
    The only countries to have performed well with Covid are those with strict border control and restrictions.

Rules not being enforced is a separate issue. Or is it fine when it's not enforced for us but not fine when it's not enforced for people who travelled here? No country in Europe has to tel quarenting as far as I know, we already have the harshest restrictions which don't seem to have made much of a difference to be honest.

If people wanted hotel quarentine a year I'd understand it even though I wouldn't agree with it. But here we are with a load of different vaccines being rolled out and people are still calling for quarentining, I just don't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Interesting but I don't understand it.
    A plane spends most of its time at an altitude far greater than Addis Ababa. Im surprised a dreamliner can't fly from Ethiopia to the US or is it going to the west coast?
    Isn't it a dreamliner that goes from London to Perth?

It’s due to takeoff performance. As the air is thin the aircraft needs to travel must faster on the runway to get the same airspeed to take off. Despite their runway being a km longer than Dublin other restrictions such as maximum tyre speed limitations will restrict how heavy the aircraft can be when taking off from this airport. As such they have to limit the amount of fuel on board when taking off. The return flight will usually go direct from USA to Addis Ababa.

Advertisement