Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Yukon 1 fat bike available in Europe?

Options
  • 18-06-2020 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Trying to track down an online stockist delivering to Ireland for the Giant Yukon 1 fat bike. Only thing I can find online are US or Canadian stock.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Trying to track down an online stockist delivering to Ireland for the Giant Yukon 1 fat bike. Only thing I can find online are US or Canadian stock.

Thanks.

Not sure they ever sold a fat bike to Europe. Fat bike sales to Europe were limited. Don’t think specialized sell them any more either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fat bike sales to Europe were limited.
    any idea why? lack of demand?

That’s my theory. I worked somewhere selling them and by 2017 all interest had gone allowing me to get their last one for dirt cheap. This article suggests similar:

https://www.singletracks.com/login.php?refresh=/mtb-gear/4-years-after-the-fat-bike-explosion-who-is-still-making-fat-bikes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Cheers. I'll email Giant see if they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Duplicate post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fatties are kinda popular winter bikes in the Nordics. You'd think there'd be a market there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I'm in Canada, and my son bought a Moustache electric fat bike this year. I don't know about the European lack of fat bikes since it is a French brand. You do see a lot of them here, though.

As ed e says, they are popular during the snowy season for the grip they afford, similar to car winter tire grooves. Without proper tires, snowy roads are impracticable. Really cold days are not great for biking either, no matter what gloves you wear, your fingers freeze to the bone in seconds.

ED E wrote: »
    Fatties are kinda popular winter bikes in the Nordics. You'd think there'd be a market there.

There’s a market for sure, but I figure it’s somewhat limited as the earlier fad dies off. Many MTB guys I know here found that a good 29er covered all their wants. Maybe the same elsewhere. I also notice more and more of the fat bike tours or experiences use electric fat bikes which is kinda telling. They’re not exactly light y’know, unless you start to spend a decent chunk more.

I mean I could be totally wrong, I’ve only empirical knowledge to base the opinion on.

Advertisement