Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New polytunnel...beds question

Options
  • 18-06-2020 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I got a polytunnel. Manured all the beds in it with farmyard manure (the ones in woodies)...now I'm thinking I can't sow some of my veg (I started them off on windows) in them especially carrots
    How about corn? Tomatoes etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

corn - yes (but they'll grow very tall)
    tomatoes - what variety of plant? they'll love manure, add some potash when planting. smaller varieties do very well in hanging baskets

usually anything with a root stalk - doesn't like manure. carrot, radish, parsnip, swede

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

I got a polytunnel. Manured all the beds in it with farmyard manure (the ones in woodies)...now I'm thinking I can't sow some of my veg (I started them off on windows) in them especially carrots
    How about corn? Tomatoes etc?

I would assume that stuff you got in woodies is well rotted, sow and plant away. Look at the no dig method, seeds are sown and planted directly into composted manure and produce crops no problem. Carrots need to be sown direct. I've never had any issues using this method over the years, even when it's not fully rotted. Thats includes all the root veg mentioned above. Theres an awful lot of myths and old wives tales in gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Thanks so much
    I'm hoping to get planting today

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I think you would be very late planting corn (particularly) but also tomatoes in terms of them ripening before the autumn- I did see in my local Woodies that they still had some tomato plants (price reduction due to lateness!) so I would definitely be looking to put in plants rather than starting from seed. I would start sowing rows of salad plants, planting a small amount every ten days or so to get a continuous crop rather than a glut. you could still get a (grape) vine in if you want to go down that route- no grapes this year but you get it established sooner- I got grapes two years after putting in a Lidl grapevine, my only regret is that they are seeded grapes!! (First world problem I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

I have well established plants. I grew them on windowsill in anticipation of the polytunnel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

baaba maal wrote: »
    I think you would be very late planting corn (particularly) but also tomatoes in terms of them ripening before the autumn- I did see in my local Woodies that they still had some tomato plants (price reduction due to lateness!) so I would definitely be looking to put in plants rather than starting from seed. I would start sowing rows of salad plants, planting a small amount every ten days or so to get a continuous crop rather than a glut. you could still get a (grape) vine in if you want to go down that route- no grapes this year but you get it established sooner- I got grapes two years after putting in a Lidl grapevine, my only regret is that they are seeded grapes!! (First world problem I know).

Corn is fine, if it is in trays already

Advertisement