Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips on making a cut into wood

• 18-06-2020 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I need to replace the side rail of my bed. However it is attached to the headboard and footboard using this fancy attachment. See photo.

I am going to go out and buy a new piece of hardwood to replace it. However any tips on how I can cut the insert for the attachment into the new piece of wood? What type of saw do you need to cut this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭amsbam1

Here is another image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭con747

amsbam1 wrote: »
    I need to replace the side rail of my bed. However it is attached to the headboard and footboard using this fancy attachment. See photo.

I am going to go out and buy a new piece of hardwood to replace it. However any tips on how I can cut the insert for the attachment into the new piece of wood? What type of saw do you need to cut this?

A router depending on depth.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭amsbam1

Yeah, I was thinking I would have to get a loan of my friend's router. The cut is 35mm deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭con747

amsbam1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking I would have to get a loan of my friend's router. The cut is 35mm deep.

If you have a steady hand a jigsaw might do it. Not the easiest to do but can be done.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Plunge saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would think a oscillating multi tool wood blade would work, just work out the height and space the tool to the correct height and feed the wood into it. The steel hook looks to be only 2-3mm in thickness so easily done and safe as well instead of a rotating blade on end grain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I would think a oscillating multi tool wood blade would work, just work out the height and space the tool to the correct height and feed the wood into it. The steel hook looks to be only 2-3mm in thickness so easily done and safe as well instead of a rotating blade on end grain.
    Would you recommend any particular tool, make/model for cutting wood?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I only have experience with mine, its a Bosch GOP 40-30 110v
    I got it for a good price from Toolstop but I would think any half decent one would do for that job, try and get one with some accessories its a lot cheaper than buying them separately.
    Good accessories are worth getting as they make the job much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

by two pieces and laminate after you cut out the necessary piece

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Cerco wrote: »
    Would you recommend any particular tool, make/model for cutting wood?
    Thanks

I got this one on sale for £55
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORX-WX680-Sonicrafter-Oscillating-Accessories/dp/B00MYZHWAK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1RROA1ZLYH4IC&dchild=1&keywords=worx+wx680+f30+sonicrafter+oscillating+multi-tool&qid=1592594155&sprefix=Worx+WX680%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-1
    Has done a good bit of work and no issues, very useful tool to have. Limited attachments though so you'd need to buy those separately if needed. They have a smaller 250w version but could be a bit under powered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement