Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a good starter bike

• 18-06-2020 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22

Hi,

I have recently moved house and found that I now live very close to a mountain bike trail. Iv always wanted to try mountain biking so I want to buy a good bike to start out on. Have you guys any suggestions on models or what I should be looking for when I go shopping for a bike? Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bot1

mr_c wrote: »
    Hi,

I have recently moved house and found that I now live very close to a mountain bike trail. Iv always wanted to try mountain biking so I want to buy a good bike to start out on. Have you guys any suggestions on models or what I should be looking for when I go shopping for a bike? Any help appreciated

Hi MrC

A couple of important questions -

What is your budget?

Also what type of trails are you going to be riding? What is your local trail?

Bot1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 mr_c

Bot1 wrote: »
    Hi MrC

A couple of important questions -

What is your budget?

Also what type of trails are you going to be riding? What is your local trail?

Bot1

Hi,

Local trail is kinnity castle, budget would be around 1200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

So with that budget definetly a hardtail.
    Your dilemna is if you want a hardtail with a more xc orientated or enduro orientated build.

Definitely at that price get something with a tapered air fork and thru axles. That might be hard to achieve with that budget in a local shop but definitely you could get something like that online or used

Tony04 wrote: »
    So with that budget definetly a hardtail.
    Your dilemna is if you want a hardtail with a more xc orientated or enduro orientated build.

Definitely at that price get something with a tapered air fork and thru axles. That might be hard to achieve with that budget in a local shop but definitely you could get something like that online or used

Thanks for the reply, probably be inclined to go enduro orientated, I see OE bikes in mullingar have a trek roscoe 7 hardtail coming into stock for around my budget, any thoughts on this one?

Nah treks are overpriced that doesnt even have thru axles the two bikes I'd have in mind if I were you would be the vitus sentier vrs and the random cragger 7.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hi,

is there anywhere to rent a bike locally, always nice to try before you buy?

@Tony04 - Do you know any place selling these models? Quick online search they may be a little over budget

@Tony04 - Do you know any place selling these models? Quick online search they may be a little over budget
    Sorry meant the vitus sentier vr not the vrs looks like it's out of stock at the moment same with the radon both a little over 1200 both you can only get online but if those bikes were for sale in a shop you might be paying up to 2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

biking.ie have Sentiers for rent and sometimes sell out the ex rental stock at a discount, might be worth giving them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

ec18 wrote: »
    biking.ie have Sentiers for rent and sometimes sell out the ex rental stock at a discount, might be worth giving them a call

You'd be lucky to get an ex Rental from biking.ie, their stock is quite new so will be a year or so before their stock is available. Got a Vitus from them last year, great deal on an amazing bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

My husband is selling a brand new On One Scandal size medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭El Vino

nak wrote: »
    My husband is selling a brand new On One Scandal size medium.

Does he know he is selling it?

The Scandal is a great bike , just finished building one up myself during the lockdown and been riding it around the Ballyhoura MTB trails the last few days. Very capable bike.

I have ridden the Roscoe a few times as well and I thought they were good bikes. They rent them at Trailriders. Appreciate the rear isn't a thru axel but I have yet to be convinced a rear thru axel is any advantage on a hardtail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

El Vino wrote: »
    Does he know he is selling it?

The Scandal is a great bike , just finished building one up myself during the lockdown and been riding it around the Ballyhoura MTB trails the last few days. Very capable bike.

He does 😂 built the bike up to sell and hasn't used it, everything is brand new. Looks great but too big for me.

Advertisement