Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Promotion - to apply or not to apply

• 19-06-2020 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just seeking other perspectives and experiences on this. There is a promotion competition happening in work and I am very conflicted about whether to apply or not. I suppose I am highly educated and worked in a position 'higher' than what I am currently in. However, I decided after 7 years in the previous job that I wanted out of the 24/7 nature of my previous job and the emails in the evenings and at weekends. I deliberately targeted and got a 'lower' level job and was really happy, got a promotion after 18 months or so and went through a period of stress but happy now. The promotion would likely involve a job that wouldn't be 24/7 but it'd obviously be more intense than my current job. I feel pressure mostly from myself to go for it as if I owe it to myself but then I remind myself that I left my previous line of work so I could deliberately get a job that would enable me to have a life outside of work. The most important things to me in life are health, happiness, time to do nothing, time to do things I enjoy and just spending time with people. Money is obviously great but I am not greedy and if I did go for the promotion and got it I would never go for another one. It would be as high as I would ever want to go. I don't feel like I'm in the right frame of mind with all that is going on right now. I am fearful of who might get the job if I don't go for it purely because I wouldn't want certain people to ever be my manager. I do believe I can get the job if I really put my mind to it but is it what I want. I'm really conflicted. Have you ever just said 'no' even when people were pushing you or when you were pushing yourself? Have you ever turned down money and more perceived prestige? What say you because I am completely conflicted but I think I know my heart is saying 'stay put. aren't you happy as it is?' I savour my time outside of work where I get to pursue creative pursuits and simple things like spending time with my nephew and extended family and going for a walk and just looking at all of the natural beauty around. I'm not sure I am compatible with 'higher' level jobs. Thank you for your views.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭dubrov

There will obviously be some stress with changing jobs but I wouldn't automatically assume it will be a more stressful job than your current one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

What will be more stressful, doing the job yourself or answering to a person you don't want to get the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

I think your thoughts are being coloured by your previous experience in a different workplace. If you're already sort of doing this higher job anyway, why not go for it properly? And if somebody you don't like becomes your manager, your blissful work/life balance will get knocked out of sync anyway. You could find yourself regretting not putting your name in the hat. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭global23214124

Conflicted wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Just seeking other perspectives and experiences on this. There is a promotion competition happening in work and I am very conflicted about whether to apply or not. I suppose I am highly educated and worked in a position 'higher' than what I am currently in. However, I decided after 7 years in the previous job that I wanted out of the 24/7 nature of my previous job and the emails in the evenings and at weekends. I deliberately targeted and got a 'lower' level job and was really happy, got a promotion after 18 months or so and went through a period of stress but happy now. The promotion would likely involve a job that wouldn't be 24/7 but it'd obviously be more intense than my current job. I feel pressure mostly from myself to go for it as if I owe it to myself but then I remind myself that I left my previous line of work so I could deliberately get a job that would enable me to have a life outside of work. The most important things to me in life are health, happiness, time to do nothing, time to do things I enjoy and just spending time with people. Money is obviously great but I am not greedy and if I did go for the promotion and got it I would never go for another one. It would be as high as I would ever want to go. I don't feel like I'm in the right frame of mind with all that is going on right now. I am fearful of who might get the job if I don't go for it purely because I wouldn't want certain people to ever be my manager. I do believe I can get the job if I really put my mind to it but is it what I want. I'm really conflicted. Have you ever just said 'no' even when people were pushing you or when you were pushing yourself? Have you ever turned down money and more perceived prestige? What say you because I am completely conflicted but I think I know my heart is saying 'stay put. aren't you happy as it is?' I savour my time outside of work where I get to pursue creative pursuits and simple things like spending time with my nephew and extended family and going for a walk and just looking at all of the natural beauty around. I'm not sure I am compatible with 'higher' level jobs. Thank you for your views.

I would go for it. You'll just end up kicking yourself if you don't. If you go for it and get it great. If you don't then you can get feedback on why you didn't and apply for it the next time or somewhere else.

If you do get it can you put in place a "switch off" scheme where you refuse to work after a certain time unless there is an emergency? Or put some self restraints in place so that you turn off notifications for work apps after a certain time so you are not disturbed in the evening.

Advertisement