Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Monokne

mossie wrote: »
    Just got an email from Amazon that I will no longer be able to access UK Prime content while abroad (I got switched to UK Prime for Premier league) so won't be able to access it in Ireland because of Brexit - "As a result of this, UK customers such as yourself will no longer have access to the full UK catalogue while traveling to EU countries, including Ireland starting 1st January 2021."

I've tried before using a VPN but it's not been 100% successful. Is there a way I can keep accessing it?

Express VPN usually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Second that. I tried a 7 day trial of express VPN and it worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Nord VPN works well too .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

SurfShark is not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Hi , my firestick is not connecting to some prime videos it displays an error code : PLR_PRS_CALL_FAILED Youtube and some prime work so internet most be ok.. Any suggestions? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

11wingnut wrote: »
    Hi , my firestick is not connecting to some prime videos it displays an error code : PLR_PRS_CALL_FAILED Youtube and some prime work so internet most be ok.. Any suggestions? thanks

Don't click on the prime videos advertised on the home page. Go through the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you're looking to cast local files from your phone, I recommend the Allcast app (you have to install it on both the Firestick and your phone). Been using it recently and it works flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Does anyone know if I change my location from United Kingdom to Ireland on Prime Video if I'll be able to access Prime Video on the Firestick or am I better off staying on United Kingdom and using a VPN. I know I had issues before watching videos when my location was Ireland with watching anything on the Firestick but I'm wondering if that has been fixed since.

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Don't click on the prime videos advertised on the home page. Go through the app.

Thanks i tried that . been on chat to amazon ,, reset to factory updated turned on an off tried all they asked ans still getting error ..

maybe it is my location causing problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

EnzoScifo wrote: »

Thanks, that worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just wondering if anyone can help me. Some sideloaded apps that I had used regularly now don't appear to work on one of my Firesticks. I have uninstalled and re-installed and still no joy. They are working fine on another stick which is connected to a different network. Is it possible that Virgin Media have blocked certain apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭avud

Just wondering if anyone can help me. Some sideloaded apps that I had used regularly now don't appear to work on one of my Firesticks. I have uninstalled and re-installed and still no joy. They are working fine on another stick which is connected to a different network. Is it possible that Virgin Media have blocked certain apps?

Could be a possibility your blocked mate. If you have a vpn maybe try it with a location outside Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Why two networks? Are you running a vpn on one network and not on the other? You could be running into geographical restrictions.

When you say they won't work what do you mean? What sort of errors are happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Have u tried the non working one on the network that is allowing access. That wud narrow the speculation..

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Have u tried the non working one on the network that is allowing access. That wud narrow the speculation..

Good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Apols if this has been asked before. I want to watch the rugby later, but don't have Eir bb - I have Virgin.

I also have the Sports Extra pack on NowTV. If I subscribe to a VPN, will I be able to watch PremierSports2 which has both games?

Has anyone done this, and which VPN do you recommend?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Trevord wrote: »
    Why two networks? Are you running a vpn on one network and not on the other? You could be running into geographical restrictions.

When you say they won't work what do you mean? What sort of errors are happening?

Hi, they're at two different locations. One running on Virgin broadband and the other off a 3 sim. The 3 one works fine. I suppose I'll connect the Virgin one to my phone for a test.

The apps are movie apps and they cannot connect to Trakt.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

blindsider wrote: »
    Apols if this has been asked before. I want to watch the rugby later, but don't have Eir bb - I have Virgin.

I also have the Sports Extra pack on NowTV. If I subscribe to a VPN, will I be able to watch PremierSports2 which has both games?

Has anyone done this, and which VPN do you recommend?

Thanks!!
    No, you'd need to log into the UK version of Now TV, buy the appropriate pass there and then use a VPN to watch it (if you can even find a VPN that works with Now TV). UK Now TV doesn't work on an Irish Now TV stick and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Quackster wrote:
    No, you'd need to log into the UK version of Now TV, buy the appropriate pass there and then use a VPN to watch it (if you can even find a VPN that works with Now TV). UK Now TV doesn't work on an Irish Now TV stick and vice versa.

With a smart DNS Quackster can watch the UK NowTV app on the Firestick. UK passes are available on Amazon.co.uk for 13 sterling. For 13 str he will get one month movie's and entertainment and 1 day sports pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Thanks Quackster!!

Any other suggestions....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

My 4k firestick has stopped recognising the wi-fi in my house.

When I say stopped recognising, it recognises it and connects to it but says the wi-fi is not connected to the internet, which it is.

Did a small bit of googling and it seems to be a known problem. Planned obsolescence perhaps? It's about 2 years old.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I read that Amazon customer service won't be any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭georgieM

JCDUB wrote: »

When I say stopped recognising, it recognises it and connects to it but says the wi-fi is not connected to the internet, which it is.

Did a small bit of googling and it seems to be a known problem. Planned obsolescence perhaps? It's about 2 years old.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I read that Amazon customer service won't be any help.

Is it with all the apps on the firestick? I find sometimes this error comes up when using certain apps and not others.

georgieM wrote: »
    Is it with all the apps on the firestick? I find sometimes this error comes up when using certain apps and not others.

Yep, all apps, can't access the home screen as soon as I switch it on.

See photo attached.

Yep, all apps, can't access the home screen as soon as I switch it on.

See photo attached.
    Happened to one of mine. Full reset of the firestick and worked fine after. Pain having to sign in to the apps again but solved the problem

Happened to one of mine. Full reset of the firestick and worked fine after. Pain having to sign in to the apps again but solved the problem

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Do you know if all the sideloaded apps will remain on it or will I have to go and reinstall them all?

I know sign in will be a pain but to reinstall them would be torture.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Do you know if all the sideloaded apps will remain on it or will I have to go and reinstall them all?

I know sign in will be a pain but to reinstall them would be torture.
    Everything gone but I tried everything else u could think of and Amazon were no help. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Mine was doing this also, even after after a reset. Someone posted here that connecting to 2.5ghz frequency resolves it. I switched to it & no issues since. When I connect to the 5ghz it will lose the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ethernet adapter will likely sort that out permanently. :)

• Advertisement

jgbyr wrote: »
    Mine was doing this also, even after after a reset. Someone posted here that connecting to 2.5ghz frequency resolves it. I switched to it & no issues since. When I connect to the 5ghz it will lose the connection.

Great stuff, will try that before a hard reset, might do the trick.

Thanks very much.

Advertisement