Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭batistuta9

TheDriver wrote: »
    For anyone using Tanya's filelinked, the UK apps are very outdated. I changed my account to UK and there were big updates for most of my UK apps. Seems easy to periodically change country, do updates and change back.
    Before, the apps you got from the appstore would disappear when you changed country. Not any more

You shouldn't have to go back & forth, when you've them installed they'll get updated.

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    I downloaded TV Player app and theirs no RTE or VM live TV on it or am I missing something?

It's a UK service

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

muffler wrote: »
    On a slightly different note I see Tesco UK is dropping the price of the 4K Firestick to £34.95 from midnight tonight which usually indicates a price drop from Amazon. Get in early before they are gone.

Could be trying to get rid of stock as a new version supposedly on the way.

https://thestreamable.com/news/could-this-be-amazons-new-fire-stick-4k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

batistuta9 wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to go back & forth, when you've them installed they'll get updated.

Not if I change to a country that the appstore doesn't support them

Not if I change to a country that the appstore doesn't support them

My UK apps update fine & Im set to the US, have been for ages.
    i got updates last week for apps from both stores. Yours should be the same but they don't update that often anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

batistuta9 wrote: »
    It's a UK service

Yep I know I have to use a VPN for it in order for it to work.
    So I assume their is no way to watch rte or VM without downloading the on demand players.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ah nuts I wish I'd read this first. Just ordered 2 x Firestick 4k from Currys.ie

Probably paid a bit too much but I'm concerned about Brexit etc. The tracking link they provided is for dpd.co.uk!

I wouldn't be buying a 4k stick at moment unless you're stuck as there is a new one imminent apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lukeeman

Hi, is anybody else getting the message 'your fire TV is unable to connect to our servers' Home is currently unavailable.
    If I go to settings and manage applications I can open apps that way, any ideas ?

lukeeman wrote: »
    Hi, is anybody else getting the message 'your fire TV is unable to connect to our servers' Home is currently unavailable.
    If I go to settings and manage applications I can open apps that way, any ideas ?

Reboot usually sorts that for me.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Reboot usually sorts that for me.

Unfortunately I've tried that a few times and no luck, I have a DNS on the firestick could that be causing it, I use the Getflix DNS and always works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Unfortunately I've tried that a few times and no luck, I have a DNS on the firestick could that be causing it, I use the Getflix DNS and always works

Make sure phone is connected to the same WiFi and update the IP address in the getflix app on your phone.

If you don't have the app, login to your getflix account on a laptop/pc/tablet and click force update IP in your account.

Did you update your registered ip with getflix?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Did you update your registered ip with getflix?

Yes IP is updated, thanks for the help.
    It was working perfect on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

I get this sometimes when I am start up a VPN. Usually a reboot puts it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Hi guys....looking for advice, have 4k firestick and remote is suddenly not working properly. It'll turn tv on and off and work the volume but no other functions work including Alexa.....i can navigate and use the firestick with my magic LG remote that seems to have synched with the firestick without me realising. Anyone come across this before? Can use the firestick for what I need it for but just don't like that the remote isn't working for me atm....cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

I wouldn't be buying a 4k stick at moment unless you're stuck as there is a new one imminent apparently.

any more info on this ?.

bassy wrote: »
    any more info on this ?.

An Australian site had some leaked photos including quick access buttons on remote. As all Amazon things, new one will be same price and just appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

An Australian site had some leaked photos including quick access buttons on remote. As all Amazon things, new one will be same price and just appear.

no big difference really then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

I’ve noticed this today all my Alexa devices went offline, couldn’t connect, I use getflix with the dns programmed
    On my nighthawk so it covers all devices, reset one echo show reregistered to no avail, set router dns back to 8.8.8.8 and within 5 minutes all the Alexas were back online, had the same issue with the fire stick and prime, no Home Screen available and error 1061 when trying to launch prime, using an obfuscated uk vpn server via Nord and it’s working again but not with the standard getflix dns on router, I don’t have any more time to look at presently but might provide some answers for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I have been receiving the Fire TV server error messages for past 2 days when turning on the device. Previously refreshing or rebooting the firestick would work but not for the past two days

It looks to me something to do with the Getflix, either the issue is on the Getflix end or Amazon servers. I have fixed it past 2 days by forgetting my wireless network and reconnecting again with the same Geflix DNS settings

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I have been receiving the Fire TV server error messages for past 2 days when turning on the device. Previously refreshing or rebooting the firestick would work but not for the past two days

It looks to me something to do with the Getflix, either the issue is on the Getflix end or Amazon servers. I have fixed it past 2 days by forgetting my wireless network and reconnecting again with the same Geflix DNS settings

I just got mine sorted, I changed the wifi from 2.4ghz to 5ghz and it just came back, I changed back to 5ghz and its working fine for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

bassy wrote: »
    no big difference really then.

Could be more RAM, storage and a better CPU speed. The current model is almost 2½ years old and while it’s still a great piece of kit, I’d definitely expect performance enhancements if they were to release a new model

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

L'prof wrote: »
    Could be more RAM, storage and a better CPU speed. The current model is almost 2½ years old and while it’s still a great piece of kit, I’d definitely expect performance enhancements if they were to release a new model

Yes, more storage would be great, but in the end it's probably the case that the more apps you have on the stick the less likely you are to subscribe to prime.

So who knows whether amazon would have more storage in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,320 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone manage to get NowTV working? I downloaded the APP and when I try to sign in to NowTV it just hangs, tried restarting a couple of times. Mine is set to UK for PrimeTV to work, perhaps that's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Anyone manage to get NowTV working? I downloaded the APP and when I try to sign in to NowTV it just hangs, tried restarting a couple of times. Mine is set to UK for PrimeTV to work, perhaps that's the problem?

I have UK NOW TV and have used the app for a few months now. I think I read that it won't work for Irish now tv.

I would try reboot firestick and reinstall the app if reboot doesn't fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 82,320 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have UK NOW TV and have used the app for a few months now. I think I read that it won't work for Irish now tv.

I would try reboot firestick and reinstall the app if reboot doesn't fix it

Yes looks to be unsupported, I don't want to mess around with my region settings in case I lose Prime. I can run it off my X Box just a pain having to swap HDMI cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’m a bit of a technophobe, but trying to convince myself I wouldn’t miss sky if I cancelled it and bought a firestick. Much of what we watch is on Netflix anyhow. There are a few stumbling blocks in my head though!
    does anyone know if discovery plus is available here? Could I get it through a firestick?
    What about MTV, is there any way to watch the absolute drivel that’s on mtv If I’ve no sky? (That one isbt a deal breaker to be fair, I’d be better off if I wasn’t watching that anyhow :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

I have my VPN set to UK however I keep getting this message when trying to use ITV hub "itv hub detected outside uk".

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’m a bit of a technophobe, but trying to convince myself I wouldn’t miss sky if I cancelled it and bought a firestick. Much of what we watch is on Netflix anyhow. There are a few stumbling blocks in my head though!
    does anyone know if discovery plus is available here? Could I get it through a firestick?
    What about MTV, is there any way to watch the absolute drivel that’s on mtv If I’ve no sky? (That one isbt a deal breaker to be fair, I’d be better off if I wasn’t watching that anyhow :D).

It's a big difference between sky and a firestick. I'd suggest you also get a freesat box to connect to the sat wires (or use your old sky box) for things like live matches etc.
    But if your viewing is primarily netflix and discovery, then they are just apps on the firestick. I don't know about discovery plus but their website says you can.
    MTV, i don't know.

Advertisement