Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Nigzcurran wrote:
    I lowered the resolution down to SD on the iplayer and it ran a lot better but I have no interest in watching anything nowadays in SD! It’s not my broadband as I run 4K Netflix and Disney with zero issues. The whole vpn thing is a bit of a mess as there dosnt seem to be any vpn that works on everything.

I agree about vpn though I do have an expressvpn as back-up. Far cheaper & far more reliable are dns proxy services. Getflix costs pennies per month. It will get you every channel. Its only drawback for the moment is that it is permanently connected to US Disney. No one noticed until Disney launched Star a few weeks ago in EU. Its not available in the US. Hopefully they will have this sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I agree about vpn though I do have an expressvpn as back-up. Far cheaper & far more reliable are dns proxy services. Getflix costs pennies per month. It will get you every channel. Its only drawback for the moment is that it is permanently connected to US Disney. No one noticed until Disney launched Star a few weeks ago in EU. Its not available in the US. Hopefully they will have this sorted soon
    I must look into getflix, I thought it was just a cheap Netflix!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Prime Video is logging me out every single time I use the (sideloaded) app, which is a PITA as it's the Mrs's Prime account and I have to get her to log back in.

If I deregister the Firestick and register it to her account so I can use the built-in PV app, will I lose all the already installed apps?

(alternatively does anyone know if there's a way of sharing Prime Video on an Irish account - we do have the family sharing enabled, but it doesn't seem to include video and I can't see any option to add it).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Seems to be on offer today (not a great offer) but you can get it delivered to irl directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

My RTE Player app has stopped working in the last few days.

Its Tanya's version. The one with no ads that normally works perfectly.

Tried clearing cache and even a reinstall but no good.

Getting a blank screed when it tries to load.

Anyone else with this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭odddavey

TheDriver wrote: »
    Seems to be on offer today (not a great offer) but you can get it delivered to irl directly.
    Amazon presumably, on offer yes. UK only delivery. Anyone know where I can buy a 4k or cube? Not ridiculous pricing. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lukeeman

odddavey wrote: »
    Amazon presumably, on offer yes. UK only delivery. Anyone know where I can buy a 4k or cube? Not ridiculous pricing. Thanks
    It says uk delivery, but i ordered a cube today and its been shipped to ireland ,look likes a change in policy from Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Trevord wrote: »
    My RTE Player app has stopped working in the last few days.

Its Tanya's version. The one with no ads that normally works perfectly.

Tried clearing cache and even a reinstall but no good.

Getting a blank screed when it tries to load.

Anyone else with this issue?

Just stopped working today. black screen / white screen wont load any content.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭batistuta9

try clearing data on it

lukeeman wrote: »
    It says uk delivery, but i ordered a cube today and its been shipped to ireland ,look likes a change in policy from Amazon
    It says "This product only ships to UK" but if you go to buy, seems to work.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    try clearing data on it

tried clearing cache / data / reinstall... anyone confirm it still works?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yankinlk wrote: »
    tried clearing cache / data / reinstall... anyone confirm it still works?

Working for me here. I didn't install it from Tanyas filelinked though, but I doubt that's making a difference as I think it's only the one version that works & they should be the same.

Before if it wouldn't work for me, clearing the data sorted it. Else you can try the apk from apkmirror or wherever it's hosted, links in this thread anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

odddavey wrote: »
    It says "This product only ships to UK" but if you go to buy, seems to work.
    Thanks
    Let us know what final price ends up due do customs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭DopeTech

IrlJidel wrote: »

€80.12 if you allow amazon do the conversion. Slightly less if you pay by revolut in gbp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Has anyone got the new Firestick update yet that gives the new home screen layout? I've two 4K sticks still on 6.7.7.

My sister in law has an ordinary Firestick and the update was applied about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Has anyone got the new Firestick update yet that gives the new home screen layout? I've two 4K sticks still on 6.7.7.

My sister in law has an ordinary Firestick and the update was applied about a month ago.
    No. 4k seems to be last.
    From what I see, there's no major advantage other than a new look.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Hi, trying to login to nowtv nothing happens, was mentioned few posts back there's now separate app for Ireland which I can't find in the store? Only the main UK now app is showing

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

yankinlk wrote: »
    Just stopped working today. black screen / white screen wont load any content.

Reinstalled Tanya's version of RTE Player app, It still would not work.

Then cleared the data and that finally got it running again.

Bit of a strange one.

Doodah7 wrote:

Amazon says this month so we should have it in the next week or so

IrlJidel wrote: »
    I used Revolut, paid in sterling. Total price in eur 70.23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

4k UI update has been finally released so your stick should randomly get updated over next few weeks. https://www.aftvnews.com/new-fire-tv-interface-update-begins-rolling-out-today-to-more-devices/

Trevord wrote: »
    Reinstalled Tanya's version of RTE Player app, It still would not work.

Then cleared the data and that finally got it running again.

Bit of a strange one.

Same. Worked for a few days back to the same black screen again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Same here. Using RTE v1 app: white screen, then black screen, that's it. Cleared data and cache - nothing's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Don't see the point of having this Rte app. Their support of it is nothing short of pure crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Any idea where I could get an up to date hbomax apk for fire tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

joujoujou wrote: »
    [...] Cleared data and cache - nothing's changed.

Gave it one more try. All back to normal. :D

acalmenvoy wrote:
    Any idea where I could get an up to date hbomax apk for fire tv?

No need for apk.

Change the location to US and download any apps you want. Do the same with UK apps. Change back to Ireland. These are genuine Amazon apps and will always be updated.

https://support.streamlocator.com/article/77-switch-your-amazon-account-country-to-download-us-uk-apps

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No need for apk.

Change the location to US and download any apps you want. Do the same with UK apps. Change back to Ireland. These are genuine Amazon apps and will always be updated.

https://support.streamlocator.com/article/77-switch-your-amazon-account-country-to-download-us-uk-apps

Thanks, worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Does anyone know if it’s possible in anyway to record/download a programme playing on live tv on the firestick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Hi all,

Does anybody know how/where to pick up express VPN and how much it should be?
    There are usually discount and referral codes knocking around IIRC.
    Website is saying about €7 a month when you pay for a year. Is that the best available?
    TIA

Advertisement