Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Monokne

JCDUB wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anybody know how/where to pick up express VPN and how much it should be?
    There are usually discount and referral codes knocking around IIRC.
    Website is saying about €7 a month when you pay for a year. Is that the best available?
    TIA

Yeah that's as good as it gets. If you sub on Black Friday you get 15 months rather than a year so it works out a little cheaper.

It's far and away the best VPN. It works for everything. I have tried a number of others and they may work with one service but not another.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

One of my 4k firesticks got the new UI update today. FireOS version was updated to 6.2.8.0. WolfLauncher still works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

JCDUB wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anybody know how/where to pick up express VPN and how much it should be?
    There are usually discount and referral codes knocking around IIRC.
    Website is saying about €7 a month when you pay for a year. Is that the best available?
    TIA

https://www.expressvpn.com/coupons

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

IrlJidel wrote:
    One of my 4k firesticks got the new UI update today. FireOS version was updated to 6.2.8.0. WolfLauncher still works fine.

Got delivery of my shiny new firecube today. Great piece of kit but very disappointed that it hasn't the new interface yet. Fingers crossed it won't be a long wait

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Got delivery of my shiny new firecube today. Great piece of kit but very disappointed that it hasn't the new interface yet. Fingers crossed it won't be a long wait

Did u get it from Amzn or local? - If Amzn what did cube cost you after brexit crap? Is there any point nowadays to buy stuff from amzn UK if it goes over 20-ish limit - or you bought from .de or .fr?

• Advertisement

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Did u get it from Amzn or local? - If Amzn what did cube cost you after brexit crap? Is there any point nowadays to buy stuff from amzn UK if it goes over 20-ish limit - or you bought from .de or .fr?

Amazon UK is still cheaper than most of the other Amazons for most items. Brexit didn't increase prices for Irish buyers. Stronger sterling isn't helping having said that. I don't pay anything extra in taxes though. UK vat is removed at checkout & Irish VAT added.

Firecube was 60 pounds inc vat & free postage. Great value for fully fledged Alexa with Ethernet adopter. Specs are higher that other firesticks & it is integrated with my TV & amp. Alexa will increase or decrease the volume, pause TV or turn on netflix without touching the TV I traded in an old firestick for a further 20 percent off.

EDIT: Forgot to point one bad point. Now (Now TV) app isn't on the Firecube yet. I'm a little disappointing that I have to dust off my Now TV stick untill they bring out an app for the Cube

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Amazon UK is still cheaper than most of the other Amazons for most items. Brexit didn't increase prices for Irish buyers. Stronger sterling isn't helping having said that. I don't pay anything extra in taxes though. UK vat is removed at checkout & Irish VAT added.

Firecube was 60 pounds inc vat & free postage. Great value for fully fledged Alexa with Ethernet adopter. Specs are higher that other firesticks & it is integrated with my TV & amp. Alexa will increase or decrease the volume, pause TV or turn on netflix without touching the TV I traded in an old firestick for a further 20 percent off.

EDIT: Forgot to point one bad point. Now (Now TV) app isn't on the Firecube yet. I'm a little disappointing that I have to dust off my Now TV stick untill they bring out an app for the Cube

Can you not sideload NowTV app?

sibersha wrote: »
    Can you not sideload NowTV app?

I haven't tried that yet but I'm guessing it wont work. It's not like there isn't a Now app for firestick or I'm region blocked. The Now TV App is only four months old & they haven't brought one out for the firecube yet. I had it on firestick. I'll try sideload it & report back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

IrlJidel wrote: »

One of mine got it too. Not overly impressed to be honest, I preferred the bigger app icon on home page

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

I haven't tried that yet but I'm guessing it wont work. It's not like there isn't a Now app for firestick or I'm region blocked. The Now TV App is only four months old & they haven't brought one out for the firecube yet. I had it on firestick. I'll try sideload it & report back

If you're stuck, give me a shout and I'll see if I can download the 'firestick' version, then extract it as an apk and upload it somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

TheDriver wrote: »
    One of mine got it too. Not overly impressed to be honest, I preferred the bigger app icon on home page

Same here the app icons are way too small in the centre of the screen. But I did notice that if you scroll down a little on the home screen you can see recently used apps and the icons are much bigger.

It is the exact same, just with the most frequently used apps lined up together at the top for quick access, above where all the usual larger icons are.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

I have just used the Apps2Fire app to download Now from my Firestick 4K to my phone, and then used that app again to send it to my new Fire Cube. It works perfectly with the caveat that you have to navigate to settings>manage installed applications to launch it. It will not show up in the normal apps menu.

Similarly, most sideloaded apps don't display a logo in the app drawer. Bit annoying. I kind of wish I bought anither Firestick 4K instead of the cube.

Anyway, let me know if you'd like me to send on the extracted apk.

Equium wrote:
    Anyway, let me know if you'd like me to send on the extracted apk.

Thanks for the offer. I'm not using NowTV for the next month or so. I'm on Hbomax and Showtime at the moment. There should be a dedicated NowTV app for firecube in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

A very handy website for anybody looking to download apks not available on the irish play store

https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/

Simply find the link in the playstore on your browser and hit go...

I managed to get iplayer and france tv from it... Watched the Munster match yesterday with French commentators as nowtv on my fire stick believes I'm roaming outside the EU

A very handy website for anybody looking to download apks not available on the irish play store

I managed to get iplayer and france tv from it... Watched the Munster match yesterday with French commentators as nowtv on my fire stick believes I'm roaming outside the EU

Would I be able to get ligue un on this???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What an ugly mess the new update is, especially if you only use your Firestick for unofficial apps. You have to go digging for them every time now. Time to look into alternative launchers.

Another problem Ive had for ages now is that my Firestick seems to be stuck on the ad for the Amazing Mrs Maisie or some crap, every time I turn it on its her stupid face and pink theme up the top, do they never rotate new ads in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Just posting on here regarding to cnbc could be a long shot,

Is it possible to watch CNBC live on peacock using a vpn?

TIA
    Omt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Thargor wrote: »
    What an ugly mess the new update is, especially if you only use your Firestick for unofficial apps. You have to go digging for them every time now. Time to look into alternative launchers.

Another problem Ive had for ages now is that my Firestick seems to be stuck on the ad for the Amazing Mrs Maisie or some crap, every time I turn it on its her stupid face and pink theme up the top, do they never rotate new ads in?

Check out Wolf Launcher, very clean design with lots of customisation, and more importantly, you can still access the Firestick settings from within the launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭corkie

Looks like that resource is outdated and may not provide the most update version of apks.

Another one with the same problem is apkcombo.com/en-ie/

Mentioned it here recently https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058171656

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Can you walk into a shop here and get a stick?
    Haven't time for online

Can you walk into a shop here and get a stick? Haven't time for online

Not quite the answer you are looking for but order from Amazon & you'll have it in 2 to 3 days.

If you really want to buy it here currys sell it but not sure if you can walk in & buy it or if it takes weeks to ship from the UK. Plenty of Irish sellers on Donedeal or Adverts. Not cheap though. Chrome cast is probably better. No need to sideload apps etc & most electrical shops will have it in stock here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭dougm1970

amazon wont post a stick to here...have to use likes of addresspal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not quite the answer you are looking for but order from Amazon & you'll have it in 2 to 3 days.

If you really want to buy it here currys sell it but not sure if you can walk in & buy it or if it takes weeks to ship from the UK. Plenty of Irish sellers on Donedeal or Adverts. Not cheap though. Chrome cast is probably better. No need to sideload apps etc & most electrical shops will have it in stock here in Ireland

I ordered one from Curry's.ie in January and had it delivered in 3 or 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Can you walk into a shop here and get a stick?
    Haven't time for online

Argos were selling the Firestick lite

dougm1970 wrote:

This was correct up to a few weeks ago but they do now. I got a firecube about a week ago from them. If you get a message that they don't deliver to your country just scroll past it and add it to the cart

Fann Linn wrote:
    I ordered one from Curry's.ie in January and had it delivered in 3 or 4 days.

Curry's are taking a few weeks to deliver from the UK at the moment. Ordered philips hue bulbs and it took around 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭odddavey

dougm1970 wrote: »
    They actually do now. There is a sign saying only UK, but go through the process and buy.
    It will be delivered. I bought the cube a couple of weeks ago. It was on offer for 70e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭dougm1970

learn something every day....i stand corrected on the amazon delivery....glad to know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Got pushed the update for the 4k stick today I notice

Advertisement