Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballmark figure to replace road bike chain

Options
  • 19-06-2020 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how much roughly would it cost in a LBs to replace the chain. I would be supplying the chain myself.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of bike? you'd probably buy the tool to do it for cheaper than the labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Absolutely just buy the tool. One of the simplest jobs you can do on a bike

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If it has a quick link it's a 2 min job. Longest part is making sure you have the length right to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Weepsie wrote: »
    If it has a quick link it's a 2 min job. Longest part is making sure you have the length right to be honest
    And that's easy if you have the old chain to compare to

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

however, if you want to go ahead, i suspect 10 or 15 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Depends on the chain. For my road bike they quoted 40 euro for a comparable chain. KMC 11speed.

I did it myself. Those KMC speed links make it a very straight forward job.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Depends on the chain. On my road bike they quoted 40 euro for a comparable chain. KMC 11speed.

He has the chain, it's labour costs he's enquiring about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

cletus wrote: »
    He has the chain, it's labour costs he's enquiring about

Ah missed that! 10-15 sounds about right based on the cost of the KMC chain so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks all for your advice. I will see if I can replace it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

billyhead wrote: »

It really is an easy job. All you need is a chain splitter.
    If your old chain has a quick link you can open it with a pair of needle nose pliers (or buy another tool for opening links..). If not, use the splitter to remove a pin and split the chain.
    Count the links on the removed chain. Count the same number on the new chain (which will be longer than you need). If the new chain has a quick link, subtract 1 from the new chain and split it here. Make sure both ends look the same (outer plate removed), route the chain and join it up using the split link. You only need to partially get this seated. With the chain on and the new link between the cassette and the chain ring (the upper side as you look at it) any slight pressure on the pedal with the wheel on the floor will fully snap the link shut.
    If your new chain is a pin closure, do not subtract 1 from the number of links and make sure both ends do not look the same. Insert the pin and fully push it in with the splitter tool. The end will need cutting off with a cutter.
    Youtube has loads of videos if all this waffle is too confusing!!

good luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,994 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    billyhead - if you need a chain breaker and chain pliers, give me a shout. It's a relatively simple job and well worth knowing how to do it to save the hassle of going to a bike shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks Wishbone ash. I will procure the tool and give it a go. It will be handy to have it for future replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭secman

Sometimes i wish i was even a tiny whinchy tad bit mechanically minded :), must check out when normality of sorts return if any basic bike maint courses are running near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Keep in mind some chains are directional. with Shimano, the engraving on the chain must be facing outwards from the bike

i've heard that before about shimano chains, but since they don't specify the orientation of the writing, it makes no sense?
    i.e. whether the writing is the right way up on the chain as it loops over the top of the cassette, or upside down - this changes whether the chain is going forwards or backwards.

aha - it's not that the chain is directional per se, it's that the unmarked side of the chain is shaped differently to assist with shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Some Shimano chains (hyperglide) need the black pin to be leading, I think, if you have a black pin.

Driving out the rivet to shorten the chain can be quite hard on your hands, depending on the chain tool you have. The rivets are often reluctant to move at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I stuck a quick link on my shimano chain last time I changed it. Recently switched over onto a different bike so it was handier than a chain break tool. I used a section of cheap clothes hangar and a pliers to open it, and close it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is very slightly off topic, but I was scrapping some second-hand bikes that I'd taken sight unseen and that turned out to be unfixable, and was trying to disassemble them to get them into the cargo bike to go to the recycling centre, and was having trouble getting the old rusty chain off them, when I suddenly realised that the small bolt croppers I have is a really easy way to get old chains off (if you definitely are discarding them).

I've used an angle grinder before. Not as simple, but infinitely more fun

Advertisement