Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smallest form factor PC for under €300

Options
  • 19-06-2020 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Looking at upgrading some PC's in an Internet cafe and ideally reusing some of the parts, at least the SSD and the RAM.

I'd like to build them to the smallest practical footprint possible.

Can anyone recommend a decent build for under €300?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm guessing Raspberry Pi's are out of the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm guessing Raspberry Pi's are out of the question?

Yes unfortunately, they'll need to run Windows 7 / Windows 10 decently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 johnjoeclock

What are the requirements? as in, what does it need to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

If you can't use a Raspberry Pi, this is about as small as you can get. You might find that it'll creep over your 300 budget though.

Motherboard - Gigabyte J3455N-D3H
    Memory - Crucial DDR3L Memory
    Case - Minibox M350
    SSD - Crucial BX500
    Power Supply - PicoPSU and one of these.

It's one of those super small ITX cases that'll just fit an ITX board and nothing else. The PicoPSU is a tiny ATX power supply that just takes up the space of a few cables, the main work is done by an external power brick.

I put something together very similar 6 or so years ago in the same case. It's still in use as a basic internet browsing/photo viewing machine for my parents. Here's a few old pictures of that to give you an idea.
    https://imgur.com/a/j246Nyv

In my case though - that motherboard was special given it could be powered by a laptop power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

[...] ideally reusing some of the parts, at least the SSD and the RAM.

What type of RAM and SSDs are these?
    If they are SO-DIMMs, I would recommend Intel NUCs, like this one. They are just about 300 euro each, and all you need for them are RAM and SSD (either m.2 or 2.5in disks will fit).

I use one for all my day-to-day stuff, has an i3, 8Gb of RAM and 250Gb of SSD, and it's perfect. Quiet, great connectivity, and it's attached to the back of the monitor, out of the view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's kinda impossible to advise when we don't know what type of RAM or SSD's you have already. Is is DDR3 or DDR4, standard desktop RAM or so-dimm, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor (£44.64 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Patriot 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory (£35.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Patriot Burst 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£31.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Custom: CiT S014B Desktop Case 300W (£34.99)
    Total: £192.59
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-20 10:55 BST+0100

€213

If silence is wanted, consider adding the Arctic Alpine Passive cooler.

Case: http://www.aone.co.uk/ProdInfo.ASP?ProductID=6077

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

JoyPad wrote: »
    What type of RAM and SSDs are these?
    If they are SO-DIMMs, I would recommend Intel NUCs, like this one. They are just about 300 euro each, and all you need for them are RAM and SSD (either m.2 or 2.5in disks will fit).

I use one for all my day-to-day stuff, has an i3, 8Gb of RAM and 250Gb of SSD, and it's perfect. Quiet, great connectivity, and it's attached to the back of the monitor, out of the view.
    I had forgotten about those Intel NUCs. They're definitely the best option for the smallest footprint if one can be got.

There's an AMD variant in the form of the ASRock A300 too, but it can be hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The A300 is actually a lot bigger than a NUC, but still fairly small and more up-gradable, and you can get much more power in one at a reasonable price. Like, an A300 with a 3400G, though a 3000G would be fine for casual use.

Again though no point until the OP comes back and clarifies what SSD's and RAM he has that he wants to re-use in all the machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Thanks for all the replies! Im not 100% sure on the type of ssds/ram, I'll have to double check that and come back to you

• Advertisement
Advertisement