Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limitations of laptop upgrade

Options
  • 19-06-2020 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

So I wonder it any of you gurus could tell me the limits of what I could upgrade on my laptop? What am I looking out for?

Intel Core i7-3610QM @2.3GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (2GB DDR3)
    8GB DDR3 RAM (1600 MHz)
    Motherboard Samsumg_NP1234567890

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Upgrading a laptop usually means ram and storage. Your options for something so old, is probably more so with storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭wandererz

You are at the max RAM for that laptop.

Do you have an SSD? if not, install one.
    It will make your access times (read/write) much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

wandererz wrote: »
    You are at the max RAM for that laptop.

Do you have an SSD? if not, install one.
    It will make your access times (read/write) much faster.

Thanks - I have both, does it matter what is installed on which drive? Games, windows, etc?
    Never mind, I looked it up - it's only 120GB so won't hold much more than Windows and basic programs.
    Might have to look at upgrading the 1TB HDD drive, cause that's where the games are saved...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you're looking to play games better, you'll need a new laptop - they're limited by that ancient GT650M.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If you're looking to play games better, you'll need a new laptop - they're limited by that ancient GT650M.

Would the machine support a better graphics card? Or is there a bottleneck somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

Dickerty wrote: »
    Would the machine support a better graphics card? Or is there a bottleneck somewhere else?

You can’t change the graphics card on your laptop.

Sarn wrote: »
    You can’t change the graphics card on your laptop.

It's not integrated, I'm sure it's a standalone card, does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Dickerty wrote: »

It's ancient - about 7 years old, and even 7 years ago it would've been considered a mid-range laptop. You need a new PC or laptop.

The last mainstream games that would run well on that would've been from about 2013 or so.

I had the faster GT750M at one point around 2015 and even then new games like Fallout 4 ran like total ass at low settings.

Desktop you would get a machine for about €500-600 that would run all the latest games at fairly good settings.

Laptop wise, probably want to be spending about €900-€1k for similar performance.

Homelander wrote: »
    Desktop you would get a machine for about €500-600 that would run all the latest games at fairly good settings.

Laptop wise, probably want to be spending about €900-€1k for similar performance.

This is very helpful! Now that I have a proper set-up at home for working from home (dual monitors, proper chair), I really don't need a laptop. So time to change!
    So who's selling? :D

Advertisement