Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth sensors

Options
  • 19-06-2020 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or these just piece of cr@p, particularly the garmin one. I’m on my second one after the first one was replaced. Pairs with phone but does transmit data.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How are you pairing it? I don't think you're supposed to pair bluetooth sensors directly to phone, but let whatever app you are using to pick them up and pair in that.

That's how my HRM works anyway and another sensor (not garmin)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I use the Garmin app, Wahoo or Zwift, they'll see it and it'll work once. Then in future it'll connect but won't transmit data. a quick google seems to show its a common issue with them.

Ah, different issue then. I find bluetooth a bit flaky anyway, and where and when possible go for Ant+ but not always possible of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

What Bluetooth sensor? Speed, cadence, HRM, power meter?

R

RunDMC wrote: »
    What Bluetooth sensor? Speed, cadence, HRM, power meter?

R

Garmin speed sensor 2,

I have a cheap cadence from aliexpress Megane 3 which seems better but still not great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Never had an issue with them. Have them on my 2 bikes but then again I use a 520 not a phone..

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Never had an issue with them. Have them on my 2 bikes but then again I use a 520 not a phone..

Is that using Ant or Bluetooth ? I’m going to send it back and grab a wahoo one instead

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're zwifting a turbo with power is a no brainer, anything else is just messing.

If you're not zwifting who the hell cares about the speed sensor? It's just a backup for GPS. Cadence/HRM are the useful ones.

Speed sensors are more accurate though are they not than GPS?

ED E wrote: »
    If you're zwifting a turbo with power is a no brainer, anything else is just messing.

If you're not zwifting who the hell cares about the speed sensor? It's just a backup for GPS. Cadence/HRM are the useful ones.

It’s for the turbo trainer. Using Zwift but also for intervals/cardio.
    20 seconds at x pace and 20 seconds at y pace.
    The calibration of the pace isn’t wholly relevant. But is a good indication of effort. So if i’m tipping away at 30kmh and then bring it up to 60kmh which is a top output, i know the next interval I must target to maintain 60kmh for the next interval

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Weepsie wrote: »
    Speed sensors are more accurate though are they not than GPS?

They could be. If you really accurately measure circumference and always keep your tires at the same PSI. Nobody I know has done that.

Over very short distances a speed sensor would have an advantage but most rides are 80km not 800m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

ted1 wrote: »
    I use the Garmin app, Wahoo or Zwift, they'll see it and it'll work once. Then in future it'll connect but won't transmit data. a quick google seems to show its a common issue with them.

Have you managed to get the speed sensor working? I’d like something to record distance and this seems like a no-brainier, but I’ve heard mixed reviews, particularly with newer iOS devices.

Advertisement