Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy & Covid-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Daughter got quite sick end Jan, all the symptoms. Many friends of hers did too. She was at university and took part in an indoor sport with several Chinese students. There are probably a thousand of them at her university. Would be highly likely that at least one of them went home for Christmas and came back with a COVID infection.

Seems extremely likely doesn't it

Did you get sick?

As we are sharing stories

A family member of mine was in hospital a few weeks ago with it, couldn't breath, he's overweight and in 60's so that didn't help

Anyway he's fine now and strangely he never infected his wife who slept in same bed as him as he was coughing and struggling for breath, he never infected his kids either

They all got pcr tested twice, few days between, all negative

They were all immune it seems, strange part of the story is the whole household was very sick over Christmas with the exact same symptoms

They reckon husband got re-infected and it was worse second time and rest are still immune somehow

I would have said that my daughter had the flu, however she also had a severe cough and had shortness of breath for about a month afterwards. That part was unlike any flu I've ever had or seen.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Seems extremely likely doesn't it

Did you get sick?

As we are sharing stories

Me, my wife and my younger daughter didn't get sick, although we all had a little bit of sore joints and ... ah ... bathroom issues, but really nothing. Really surprised me too as I fully expected us to get sick. I was even saying when bringing her home that I hoped she didn't infect us! However our younger daughter brings home every cold and cough from secondary school so maybe that gave us some immunity? IDK. Or maybe it was a weird flu. I've had two in the past, my wife and both of the girls have never had the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Just to add on to the stories about the end of last year - I got sick twice in the space of a month late November/December. I rarely ever get sick, so to get sick twice in such a short space of ime was a huge anomaly for me. Although that being said there was only maybe two weeks between each bout of sickness, so I suppose it could have just been the one sickness and I didn't feel it for a couple of weeks in between, if that's possible. It honestly could have just been a coincidence. I wouldn't say I was severely sick or anything, it was just some mild flu symptoms, so as soon as I started getting them I dosed myself with Vitamin C and Cold & Flu meds like I usually do to try and stave it off before it developed fully. I distinctly remember also having a conversation with my mother where I told her I had noticed that there was an unusually high amount of people sick, among my own friends and people I would meet while at work.

Like I said it could all just be a coincidence, but it would be a hell of a coincidence if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

With all these coincidences, has anyone who’s claiming without a shred of evidence to have had COVID last Nov/Dec/Jan lost their sense of taste/smell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

All these comments about worst illness of your life..well it doesn't exactly make sense does it, unless you're in the at risk groups covid will not necessarily be any more unpleasant than other common respiratory illnesses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Husband thinks he had Covid symptoms in November 2018. :D

At this stage I know more people who had symptoms in December 2019 than the ones who had Covid after February. While I very much believe Covid was with us in 2019 I think probability is that most people who believe they had it in December were suffering from something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

With all these coincidences, has anyone who’s claiming without a shred of evidence to have had COVID last Nov/Dec/Jan lost their sense of taste/smell?

quote="Selah Grumpy Prey;115331322"]With all these coincidences, has anyone who’s claiming without a shred of evidence to have had COVID last Nov/Dec/Jan lost their sense of taste/smell?[/quote]

I've wondered about this as I'm convinced my daughter had it last December. I'd imagine most people won't remember that symptom as we weren't looking out for it and also the people tended to be so sick they wouldn't really have been aware of the symptom as they're blocked up and not eating. There is also the chance maybe that the virus and its symptoms change?

My 17 year old was flattened 3 times between Dec and Jan, with the middle dose just before xmas being the worst. The doctor was very unsure as to what it was but said she would "treat it as a chest infection even though it isn't" I remember her being very puzzled by it. She gave her an antibiotic as the finger prick test indicated she was fighting a severe bacterial infection. Since the start of Covid in March I've been fairly convinced it was Covid (even though the finger test had indicated a bacterial infection) When my friend told me the hospital had confirmed her husband had it in december, I told her how I was convinced my daughter had it but it was treated as a bacterial infection as she was so ill. Turns out having a bacterial infection is quite common alongside the virus and her husband had one as well as Covid. He remembers how puzzled his docs in hospital were over how a healthy man was so ill with a flu.

I don't know what real difference it makes in the long run but I also don't see why it's not being confirmed as being here earlier when it clearly was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

meeeeh wrote: »
    Husband thinks he had Covid symptoms in November 2018. :D

At this stage I know more people who had symptoms in December 2019 than the ones who had Covid after February. While I very much believe Covid was with us in 2019 I think probability is that most people who believe they had it in December were suffering from something else.

Hypochondria I think.

No loss of taste / smell from my daughter. I think most people are not claiming anything, I certainly am not, other than saying it was possibly COVID.
    All these comments about worst illness of your life..well it doesn't exactly make sense does it, unless you're in the at risk groups covid will not necessarily be any more unpleasant than other common respiratory illnesses

The flu can be very severe. I am a pretty healthy guy and got the flu twice in my 30s. Had shivers, severe sweating, high temperatures and could barely lift my head off the pillow - I am not exaggerating - for a few days. I felt like I was going to die. No cough or respiratory problems though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

I was off work for 5 days last December, followed by my manager at the time who was out for 5 days after me. Both bed-ridden during that time. It was a very bad flu as far as I am concerned, though what was shocking was how it completely knocked me off my feet for 5 days. From what I understand, covid would be no where near as bad for my risk category.

I was off work for 5 days last December, followed by my manager at the time who was out for 5 days after me. Both bed-ridden during that time. It was a very bad flu as far as I am concerned, though what was shocking was how it completely knocked me off my feet for 5 days. From what I understand, covid would be no where near as bad for my risk category.

This is normal for flu. Most people think they have flu when they actually have a bad cold. Definitely would not want to get the flu in my 70s or 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My sister in law had Covid in her house in April, there are 6 people living in the household and their symptoms all varied so much. So its quite possible for one person to be extremely sick and people in the same household to be less so to the point that they might not even notice symptoms.

MIL: in her 70's with underlying conditions had severe breathing issues, fever etc. was hospitalised for 10 weeks and almost died.
    SIL 1: in her 40's had no cough or fever but had extreme fatigue and gastric symptoms, bed ridden for 3 weeks.
    SIL 2: in her 30's, cough and extreme fatigue but able to function.
    2 Nephews: late teens just had sore joints.
    Niece: 7 years old displayed no symptoms.

None experienced a loss of taste and smell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm so confused with this whole virus. If it was here late 2019, it was in Australia and New Zealand as well. How is New Zealand shutting themselves off helping with the whole situation? There must have been people with the virus walking around and spreading it amongst themselves over there as well. I know implementing border controls can have some affect by not bringing in new infections but the virus is probably already in their countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Macu17ab

thelad95 wrote: »
    Anecdotally, I believe it was in Ireland long before Dr Tony et al believe so. There's now been studies from both Italy and France showing Coronavirus was likely there before Christmas and given the daily visitor numbers to Ireland from these countries, I don't see how we would have avoided it for that long.

Anecdotally, I was riding a doctor earlier this year who said that an Italian airline cabin crew arrived here in November 2019, sick as dogs, with what we now identify as COVID symptoms. There were a few of them that were told they had to come to work our get sacked, so they were in a bad way on the plane. When they arrived they were admitted to one of our hospitals where she was on rotation(Likely infected everyone on board).

I'm so confused with this whole virus. If it was here late 2019, it was in Australia and New Zealand as well. How is New Zealand shutting themselves off helping with the whole situation? There must have been people with the virus walking around and spreading it amongst themselves over there as well. I know implementing border controls can have some affect by not bringing in new infections but the virus is probably already in their countries.

This is what I don't understand; why not roll out mass antibody testing to at least get a more realistic indication as to how many people have been infected with covid. The WHO estimates around 750 million people in the world have been infected with covid which is 700 million more than worldometer provides for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

This is what I don't understand; why not roll out mass antibody testing to at least get a more realistic indication as to how many people have been infected with covid. The WHO estimates around 750 million people in the world have been infected with covid which is 700 million more than worldometer provides for!

Because it seems that infection with the virus only gives you a limited number of months immunity (likely 3-4). So mass antibody testing will only give you the number of people who had covid over the past four months, and won't identify those who were infected between November and June.

This shouldn't be confused with the immunity that a vaccine will bring. As I understand it, a vaccine will give you far better immunity that being infected with the virus will.

Can you test for natural immunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

JDD wrote: »
    Because it seems that infection with the virus only gives you a limited number of months immunity (likely 3-4). So mass antibody testing will only give you the number of people who had covid over the past four months, and won't identify those who were infected between November and June.

This shouldn't be confused with the immunity that a vaccine will bring. As I understand it, a vaccine will give you far better immunity that being infected with the virus will.

No, you should have lasting immunity, but the antibodies in your blood will fade after a few months. Your body will remember how to produce the anti bodies if it encounters the virus again though. If this wasn't the case then there would be far more cases of re infection around the world than the handful out of millions documented currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This makes me really believe that if we didn’t have the technology to test for the virus we wouldn’t even know it existed. It would be ‘a bad aul dose’ by any other name.

It would be fairly obvious it existed around the time the hospitals were turning people away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Covid was in Ireland in February, people seem to forget the case of the 43 year old cork farmer who succumbed to the disease.
    His death predated the first official confirmed covid cave at the time by 6weeks and his was also the first confirmed case of community spread.
    Contact tracing and interviewing family members and acquaintances at the time of discovering he was positive after his death the time scale of infection was believed to have been early to mid February.

So he contracted the disease mid February and it was community transmission it would have been circulating since late December early January at least.

wakka12 wrote: »

Ive had flus,colds etc,am prone to chesty coughs (would be mildly at risk tbh)...and nothing like this thing last year.....pretty much zero energy and sleeping for 15 hours at a time....and sweats like never before,and a never ending cough,

If this wasnt coronavirus,(and without some way of testing impossible to tell),it certainly was a big step up from an severe cold/flu.......either way,im sure as fcuk gonna take this vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

kippy wrote: »
    It would be fairly obvious it existed around the time the hospitals were turning people away.

We had that already but not in the same numbers, there's also a pretty severe overreaction in many, the horror of having Covid and then it turns out to be just a bug for many: felt like it was a death sentence in the early days, partly down to media and government hype.

bladespin wrote: »
    We had that already but not in the same numbers, there's also a pretty severe overreaction in many, the horror of having Covid and then it turns out to be just a bug for many: felt like it was a death sentence in the early days, partly down to media and government hype.

I am simply saying, that the spread of the virus, or indeed the virus itself, were it to get into enough of the population at the same point in time, would be noticed.

I am simply saying, that the spread of the virus, or indeed the virus itself, were it to get into enough of the population at the same point in time, would be noticed.

It was, we had pneumonia spikes among the old and a 'superflu', not going tin hat route but it's very likely it was here long before we knew what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

rob316 wrote: »
    I've had the flu a number of times over my 33 years and last Xmas was by far the worst I experienced. 1 week of not been able to breath and wrecked for about 3 weeks afterwards. That wasn't the flu, I'm absolutely convinced.

Same here and anytime I’ve suggested it might not have been influenza, I’m shot down.

I had the flu vaccine in October 2019 and I’m generally healthy, so wasn’t expecting to get flu but whatever I had around Christmas was just unbelievably bad. Very fever, cough, burning sensation in my lungs that were popping and crackling, couldn’t breath properly. I couldn’t walk even down the street for two weeks and I lost over a stone in weight. My GP told me it was flu and not to come in. So, I just stayed in bed (for nearly 3 weeks).

My lungs were still odd months later. Even now I feel like they’re tight in colder air.

My dad got the same dose and was diagnosed by the GP as having pneumonia. He was on steroids, antibiotics and tamiflu, but went through more or less the same except I think the steroids really helped. He was on two rounds of them before he recovered but now has a persistent cough that never went away. He went for CT scans and a broncoscopy and they concluded nothing of concern, gave him inhalers etc but he’s been coughing heavily for 11 months.

It got into our household from an office and spread to multiple households around Xmas. Another relative got it first (at work we think) and she had what was more like normal flu symptoms and a 4 year old got it with much milder symptoms.

Four members of my extended family had it and we did actually self isolate because we were really concerned about spreading it. So, without the current terminology, none of us left our houses while we had it and kept far away from vulnerable older ppl etc.

I actually got a private antibody test done in July which turned up negative. However, I don’t know if that means much that long after and apparently some people never seem to produce antibodies that are detectable more than a few months after the event.

bladespin wrote: »
    It was, we had pneumonia spikes among the old and a 'superflu', not going tin hat route but it's very likely it was here long before we knew what it was.

I'm not saying that it wasn't.

The suggestion above was if, we weren't testing for the virus, we would hardly notice it, the implication being that very few people have adverse effects....

We would notice it eventually when a critical mass of people contracted the virus and ended up in hospital, causing major knock on effects for everything else.
    Which is why we introduced all of those restrictions since March.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

ZX7R wrote: »
    Covid was in Ireland in February, people seem to forget the case of the 43 year old cork farmer who succumbed to the disease.
    His death predated the first official confirmed covid cave at the time by 6weeks and his was also the first confirmed case of community spread.
    Contact tracing and interviewing family members and acquaintances at the time of discovering he was positive after his death the time scale of infection was believed to have been early to mid February.

So he contracted the disease mid February and it was community transmission it would have been circulating since late December early January at least.

I think you are right. I think I may had it myself in January (end of) this year. It knocked me for 6. I was fine after a couple of weeks. At first I was sure it was the flu but now I am convinced it might have been COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

JDD wrote: »

Can I ask where you got this information from?

I have been looking into the scaremongering about this and it would appear that of the over 53 million cases diagnosed, there are 15 (FIFTEEN) known cases of re-infection

• Advertisement

I'm not saying that it wasn't.

The suggestion above was if, we weren't testing for the virus, we would hardly notice it, the implication being that very few people have adverse effects....

We would notice it eventually when a critical mass of people contracted the virus and ended up in hospital, causing major knock on effects for everything else.
    Which is why we introduced all of those restrictions since March.........

Hard to say, we've definitely had over 100k cases now (probably a lot more) and about 5k of those needed hospital attention, many who've had it don't/didn't realise they did,I think it's very possible.

Advertisement