Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy & Covid-19

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I saw yesterday that the CDC have gone back and added 6 covid deaths to January 2020. Its obvious at this stage that it was far more widespread everywhere before anyone even knew about it. No doubt more early cases and deaths will start to come to light as the data is sorted through. Makes me more convinced I had it in December 2019 tbh. Its been confirmed to have been in California at that time so almost certainly where I am also, in the state next door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I saw yesterday that the CDC have gone back and added 6 covid deaths to January 2020. Its obvious at this stage that it was far more widespread everywhere before anyone even knew about it. No doubt more early cases and deaths will start to come to light as the data is sorted through. Makes me more convinced I had it in December 2019 tbh. Its been confirmed to have been in California at that time so almost certainly where I am also, in the state next door.

Aren't you in Nevada? Or am I thinking of the wrong poster?

How have you been all year? Considering that it's rampant in America it's hard to avoid it really.

Aren't you in Nevada? Or am I thinking of the wrong poster?

How have you been all year? Considering that it's rampant in America it's hard to avoid it really.

Yes, nevada. Masks have been mandatory since June or something and none of my family have been sick at all. The last time we had anything was Christmas 2019 which is what i suspect may have been covid.

Dare I say it actually feels pretty normal. There are capacity restrictions on bars and restaurants and obviously no large events are taking place but walking around the local area you wouldn't really know anything was happening, besides the mask wearing. Daughter back in school since August and again perfectly fine. Theres been one case in her school so far but not in her group/bubble and no one else in the sick child's group was infected. Same with her friends who are back at school, no cases at all. Public schools are still shut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

Im almost certain I had it in Jan of 2020. No way it wasn't here if it was in Italy amd France. Look how quick the South African strain is spreading without a lot of travel.

Yes, nevada. Masks have been mandatory since June or something and none of my family have been sick at all. The last time we had anything was Christmas 2019 which is what i suspect may have been covid.

Dare I say it actually feels pretty normal. There are capacity restrictions on bars and restaurants and obviously no large events are taking place but walking around the local area you wouldn't really know anything was happening, besides the mask wearing. Daughter back in school since August and again perfectly fine. Theres been one case in her school so far but not in her group/bubble and no one else in the sick child's group was infected. Same with her friends who are back at school, no cases at all. Public schools are still shut.

Very likely you had it in December 2019 so. Wonder how far back can we actually go? Have you heard of anyone with symptoms in November or October 2019? I think people at the military games in China came home in October and they were sick with similar symptoms. I was on holidays end of October in America and came home with a nasty cough.

• Advertisement

Very likely you had it in December 2019 so. Wonder how far back can we actually go? Have you heard of anyone with symptoms in November or October 2019? I think people at the military games in China came home in October and they were sick with similar symptoms. I was on holidays end of October in America and came home with a nasty cough.

Yes I remember the military games thing being pointed to as a possible starting point for the outbreak. A lot of people at my daughters school had the same thing around December 2019 but I havent heard of anything earlier than that. Weren't there reports of cases in the UK and I think Spain confirmed around October/november ?Suffice to say it had definitely been here a while before it seemingly exploded but will we ever know? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

my bother in law was hospitalised December 20 last year In hospital 4 days they said a bad flu. I'm 100pc convinced it was covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

thebaz wrote: »
    Most people were aware of what was going on , we had the images from Wuhan, and much of North Italy was in lockdown , North Italy is rugby country, why bother calling off match ? The real risk was from the many thousand fans arriving rather than the 40 man Italian rugby squad who were playing.
    I think very countries will restrict their citizens leaving.

In my opinion its on our government. Why didn't we ban Italians arriving?

It's important to remember that the man who has been dictating how we live our lives for the last year Dr Holohan ( and minister Harris) attended a conference with 500 people from 50 different countries after this point.
    Guess what the conference was about , alcohol !

We can't lecture rugby fans when the person who should be very clued in was happy to be in a crowd of foreigners, he wasn't in a pub though so I am sure it was completely safe.

This fact actually enrages me as myself and others had already changed plans etc at this point so it wasn't a fringe thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Im almost certain I had it in Jan of 2020. No way it wasn't here if it was in Italy amd France. Look how quick the South African strain is spreading without a lot of travel.

This article is from 8 months ago.

https://www.joe.ie/news/leo-varadkar-says-possible-coronavirus-ireland-last-year-697445
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said it is possible that coronavirus was in Ireland last year or in January of this year.

Varadkar was speaking in the Dáil, where he commented on the news that retrospective testing in France had discovered the virus was in the country last year.

"It is noteworthy that initial experts suggest from retrospective testing, that the virus was circulating in France as far back as December last year," Varadkar said.

He noted that this was before there was a test available for the virus or before it even had a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Like you, in Illinois.

Was sick last January coming back from Ireland after about 1 week arriving back. Doc has basically confirmed that it was covid in a recent check-up. No tests existed. I remember well being on the flight from Dublin and a guy coughing his guts up behind myself. A woman in the row in front of him commented that she felt ill upon leaving the plane to me. I did also.

One week later... all the symptoms.

I shut the work place here before most places closed. Patricks Day was completely shut to the public here and we have remained closed ever since to the public.

Mask wearing for staff has been mandatory. I bought hand sanitizer in bulk and implemented hygiene controls which remain in place to this day. Like you, no one has been sick with this since.

Mind you when I mentioned this in a thread last april, I was told no way I could have had covid.

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    Like you, in Illinois.

Was sick last January coming back from Ireland after about 1 week arriving back. Doc has basically confirmed that it was covid in a recent check-up. No tests existed. I remember well being on the flight from Dublin and a guy coughing his guts up behind myself. A woman in the row in front of him commented that she felt ill upon leaving the plane to me. I did also.

One week later... all the symptoms.

I shut the work place here before most places closed. Patricks Day was completely shut to the public here and we have remained closed ever since to the public.

Mask wearing for staff has been mandatory. I bought hand sanitizer in bulk and implemented hygiene controls which remain in place to this day. Like you, no one has been sick with this since.

Mind you when I mentioned this in a thread last april, I was told no way I could have had covid.

I think the travel in your case adds another reason to think it was covid. I wanted to get the antibody test when they first came out last summer but apparently they weren't that reliable at the time. Im guessing after a year a test now would be useless at this stage so I'll never know for sure but it really was all the symptoms, including upset stomach which would never happen with a cold.

Hows the situation in Illinois now? Are the cases dropping like most of the Midwest? We are muddling along with around 2000 cases per day but hospitals holding steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

I think the travel in your case adds another reason to think it was covid. I wanted to get the antibody test when they first came out last summer but apparently they weren't that reliable at the time. Im guessing after a year a test now would be useless at this stage so I'll never know for sure but it really was all the symptoms, including upset stomach which would never happen with a cold.

Hows the situation in Illinois now? Are the cases dropping like most of the Midwest? We are muddling along with around 2000 cases per day but hospitals holding steady.

Illinois seems to be still pretty bad. It has dropped over the last few weeks. BUT...I look at the local scanner information and everyday... three or four cases locally with "breathing difficulties" ..... usually means COVID!

Just wish this was over so I can go visit the family in Ireland. Sick of this at this stage.

NSAman wrote: »
    Illinois seems to be still pretty bad. It has dropped over the last few weeks. BUT...I look at the local scanner information and everyday... three or four cases locally with "breathing difficulties" ..... usually means COVID!

Just wish this was over so I can go visit the family in Ireland. Sick of this at this stage.

Yeah, that's the worst part. Haven't been home in almost 3 years at this stage, really regret not going in 2019 when I had the chance . Hopefully things get better soon and we can hop on a plane or people can come here!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I think very countries will restrict their citizens leaving.

In my opinion its on our government. Why didn't we ban Italians arriving?

This was following on from advice from the WHO. They had been told by the Chinese that there was little risk of P2P transmission.

The WHO also decided that shutting down flights from China would therefore be racist or some such.

This despite the Chinese implementing gulag style lockdowns in their own country.

An outbreak in skiing regions in the North of Italy became a source for positive cases in Ireland and the first notified outbreaks with people flying back and forth with no restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

gozunda wrote: »
    This was following on from advice from the WHO. They had been told by the Chinese that there was little risk of P2P transmission.

The WHO also decided that shutting down flights from China would therefore be racist or some such.

This despite the Chinese implementing gulag style lockdowns in their own country.

An outbreak in skiing regions in the North of Italy became a source for positive cases in Ireland and the first notified outbreaks with people flying back and forth with no restrictions.

But any coronavirus, whether it causes Covid or SARS or the common cold, is transmissible from person to person, isn't it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

But any coronavirus, whether it causes Covid or SARS or the common cold, is transmissible from person to person, isn't it? :confused:

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152?s=20
    WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus reiterated the body's advice was not to impose travel or trade restrictions on China, saying such measures could cause "fear and stigma".

While people were right to be concerned, there was "no reason for panic and fear", he said.

https://cnnphilippines.com/world/2020/2/5/WHO-don-t-spread-fear-travel-bans.html?fbclid=lwAR2

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-coronavirus-world-health-organisation-accused-of-parroting-chinese-propaganda/H2HOZO2NBIIMM6OWVWBMX6JPOY/

Thought there was a thread in covid in Italy in December 2019 but I can't find it.

Turns out they can trace it back to November 2019.
    https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/italian-woman-had-covid-19-in-november-2019-study-says/2106032#

It's something I can't get my head around. If Italy had it in November 2019, we also had it here. But how come we didn't see hospitals filling up?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thought there was a thread in covid in Italy in December 2019 but I can't find it.

This is the thread - post moved, but had a diversion through the main thread to get here!

Beasty wrote: »
    This is the thread - post moved, but had a diversion through the main thread to get here!

Thanks for finding the thread for me.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/italian-woman-had-covid-19-in-november-2019-study-says/2106032#

It's something I can't get my head around. If Italy had it in November 2019, we also had it here. But how come we didn't see hospitals filling up?

They did fill up.
    It just wasn’t front page news everyday so we didn’t care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

As cases are being discovered at earlier dates ,there has to be an open mind to the possibility we could in fact be in a third wave.
    Maybe the virus has evolved to being more infectious over a longer time span than believed.
    That could be another reason that more in hospital.
    First wave little transmission
    Second wave more transmittable more in hospital.
    Third wave exceptional transmission more in hospital.

Another thing I can't understand is Ireland is small. If it was around in 2019, why are people still getting infected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

First cases (back traced cases) in Italy were in September 2019. But they were just dismissed as pneumonia, until someone thought to have a second look at those reports and biological samples.

Advertisement