Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leyland trade satinwood blistering over zinsser 123

• 19-06-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all,

Here's what's happening :
    - Just recently primed the wooden surface with Zinsser 123 and was left overnight last night.
    - Used Leyland trade satinwood https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073WB869L?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
    - Applied it with a mohair sleeve.
    - I'm painting indoors in a non heated space with great ventilation.
    - It was raining outside. The conditions were temp 12°, precip 48% and humidity 93%.

The first coat of Leyland is blistering. Would the fact that there's moisture in the air cause this?

Has anyone else had problems with this paint?

Edit.
    Just went onto the 2nd coat.

I sanded one part with 180g and rubbed it down with a tack cloth. I just painted over the remaining parts and the same problem occurred on all parts. I then gave them 10-15 mins to part dry. Then dry rolled over them. That seemed to get rid of the bubbling but surely this isn't how you apply it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

That shouldn't happen. My first guess is that it sounds like contamination. Was the original surface cleaned?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

dok_golf wrote: »
    That shouldn't happen. My first guess is that it sounds like contamination. Was the original surface cleaned?

It was freshly primed with the zinsser 123. I didn't sand that. Well only the edges that were on show. And tack clothed the surface.

Also. I laid it off with an empty roller. Should I have used a brush?

Maybe I should try silicone remover. I've used that before when hplv spraying automotive paint.

was there silicone on the surface?

was there silicone on the surface?

Shouldn't as I only used zinsser 123 prior.

Did you sand and tack the original surface BEFORE to applying 123?

• Advertisement

Did you sand and tack the original surface BEFORE to applying 123?

Sanded and blown the dust off with compressor. The 2 coats of primer should've sealed it. There was good coat of primer prior to painting.

If the 123 didn't blister, then my guess would be dust made its way onto the primer before it had dried.

I closed the doors so there was no wind coming through the shed and let the dust settle.

I switched over to HPLV spraying there this evening and used a DIN4 cup to measure the viscosity. I thinned it done to 35mins and it went on okay but dried up really well after 3 hours. I've thinned it a bit more so I'll be doing the last coat on these poster frames tomorrow followed by the water based lacquer.

This doesn't solved my original problem, although like I said in the first post I went over the pieces after 10mins and it got ride of the bubbles but still, it's funny how it bubbles so badly.

I can paint pretty much everything in the bedroom project (desk, shelves, skirting and these poster frames) with the HPLV gun, just the architraves to do by brush.

I should've taken the gun out at the start.

Advertisement