Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's next.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

So a bit of an update but i'm not going to go through 9 months since the last time I posted here 😏

The road to Consistency: So with a few back injuries last year the mission has been to get the consistency so that DCM this year was going to go well. I didn't want that either my training or the race was totally hampered by injury and that I could go out and run it confident that the work had been put in and that it wasn't just a case of completing it.

With that in mind I've taken a 12 month approach to DCM this year, thinking that as my run volume has never been particularly high that actually a 14/16/18 week plan might not be enough and I needed to work my way into it and get the consistency in my running before the actual block itself.

Since October I've raised the weekly mileage steadily from 30K per week up to ~50K per week now with 2 sessions per week. I did quite well over December and even without running over Christmas week I was good the week before and after and really felt the benefit in the new year. Intervals and tempo session during the week and a long run, although I would say the long run has probably been a bit on the short side as some are with my wife so I work off time on the feet rather than distance on those LSR's. When getting into the marathon block we'll work out a system so we can both run together but I can get in the extra distance.

I think I said in another thread that I was going to do some races the first quarter of the year to see where I am at and I've stuck to the plan. A 5K park run, Raheny 5 mile and Bohermeen yesterday. All went really well, Raheny was a great run as I wasn't trying to race it and felt very comfortable while sticking to a good 4:15m/k pace throughout. Went sub 20 on a 5K for the first time but it was on a track and the gps was off so I'm not counting it but good to know I'm knocking on the door there.

Bohermeen yesterday was a good tester for me. Had strained the calves the preceding Sunday and spent the week taking it fairly handy, realised that I'd been in the office 3 days that week and had been taking the stairs each day, 37 flights of stairs each day, that'll do it to you! But I've been working in my little S&C sessions on the floor behind my desk when I get a chance and it's certainly making a difference. The race itself was very fair, I do like the undulating country roads but the wind was a bit of a torment, on the first lap around it seemed never ending... I did find a little group though that were travelling at the same pace as me, 3 ladies and a couple of guys and we all packed up a bit and it was great to have the company of other runners to help when fatigue was kicking in. Myself and one of the ladies in particular were running very similar paces and we stuck beside each other for the majority of the race from about 5k onwards. I know if I could keep at it and in touch with the little group that I'd get a good time and was delighted with the run, 2 minute PB, delighted with that.

I've some holidays coming up in April and a communion in May but the plan is to keep the consistency going and mileage up but focus on getting a road 5K sub 20 across the line over the next 6 to 8 weeks. then back to base and then into the Marathon plan. Speaking of which after going through some of the plans that I kindly got sent and reviewed I wound up buying a book, Marathons after 40 !! It's by Triathlon coaches but has different running plans based on the amount of (if any) cross training you want to do and volume of running per week. I particularly like the fact that it is time based rather than mileage based and also that the sessions are not overly complicated so don't seem as daunting for a first marathon plan.

Post edited by MisterJinx on

So I was happy with the consistency from March to the middle of May. Topping off with a 60K week (largest weekly volume for me ever) in the second week of May with a planned then 2/3 weeks where I was not going to get much running in with a Communion and trip away and some work commitments which all kept me very busy. Back to it now and it's amazing how it can be a bit of a struggle to get going again and the legs moving.

So, in keeping with the plan I'm doing a mostly base few weeks to work into the marathon plan which I'm really looking forward to. The couple of weeks off actually probably did me good in terms of a little re-set and not getting too jaded with logging in the miles.

Week 6 -12 June - 27K: 3 runs, all easy @5.3X - HR a bit high and legs a bit stiff but that seems normal after a break

This week I'll aim for 4 runs and up it again the following week. I also got a free entry for the docklands 5K which I've done a few times and in 2016 was my first ever 5K. It's very flat and set up for a pb but I'm not sure I'll be in that condition next Thursday so it should be at least a good benchmark to see where I am at just before starting the marathon block.

Also just bought another pair of Endorphin Speeds (the 2's this time) for €118. Couldn't resist a deal and it's a great price for a great trainer. I find myself reaching for my current pair all the time now even for easy runs, not that there is anything wrong with the NB 880's which is a very solid shoe but the Speeds just are easier on the legs and a softer ride that I like.

Also I had forgotten how hot I get running in summer, I find it quite sweltering and HR goes through the roof which is something I hadn't really thought about when planning this marathon block. Just noting it for myself as actually I think I prefer to run in the winter (rain and cold are fine, wind not so much!) so maybe for next time I should consider a spring marathon.....I'll also be doing most of the first 3 weeks of the plan in France, which while not roasting will certainly be hotter than here, must make sure I drink lots of water and keep it very slow, although there are not too many session in there so that should be fine.

Another week back to it and enjoying the running.

the week before was 2 and a half hours running, this week just gone was 3 hours 15 mins running. Again almost all easy with 4 runs.

• Monday 13/06 10k easy after work
    • Tuesday 14/06 10k easy after work
    • Thursday 16/06 8K during lunch, easy with a faster last ~500 just to check the legs are working, they are which was good to know
    • Friday 6K easy before work, not generally a morning runner but had the chance to get out early and as I was cooking a meal for family on Friday evening I know it would be the only chance. Was expecting a scorcher but it was kinda cloudy and that suited me better :-)
    • Sunday, bike spin, 70K, lovely to get out into the country side and some clean air and quiet roads and a bit of a chat.

This week is my last week in my current company after 10 years. I'm trying to wind back the hours and let others step into the responsibilities which is more difficult than you would think with people on holidays, projects still flying along and just generally being so embedded in the place. Last week was nice as I was in the office for 2 days and caught up with some people that I haven't seen since pre-covid. Someone asked me if I was nervous about starting in the new job, I wasn't until they asked!!! But actually thinking about it no, not really, when it's time to move on it's time and while sorry to go it has to be done or I'll get very stale.

The plan this week is to try and get 5 runs in and around the 4 hours. I have the docklands 5K as well on Thursday, just deciding on which trainers to go with, the speed or the magic speeds. My speed 2 still haven't shipped so they are out. I think it'll probably be the speed. Looking forward to it now, always a good atmosphere and lots of runners. I have a going away party and a couple of other things as well on over the next 10 days so I'll try and squeeze in the runs and be flexible but I'm sure I'll manage.

Monday 20/06 - Club interval session. Numbers were very light this week with Holidays, races and the like so I wound up running the set on my own. Usual warm up and then 6x800 at just below 5K pace. Nice warm evening and I set off on the first two 800 at just below 5K pace as this was the first bit of speed work I had done in a month. I was feeling good here and felt I was probably holding myself back a bit so I decided on the third interval that I would stop looking at the watch and just go with effort. The next 4 formed a bit of a pyramid as I wound up the pace a little bit on each one. Finished off the last at 20secs/km below 5k pace but really in control of the form and the breathing. This gave me a great bit of confidence, I was happy not to look at the watch and go off feel and with the last 2 intervals being strong I started to think that the few weeks off hadn't done me any harm and I was now in the good place after a fairly gradual build over the last couple of weeks.

Tuesday 21/06 1hr easy during kids training with company. Chatted along and HR stayed nicely low. All good.

Thursday 23/05 - Docklands 5K. After Monday I'm feeling like actually this could be one to go for. The course is flat and fast, plenty of runners to work off, pacers and some good history for me so all in all I'm thinking maybe I should go for it but god it's very warm.... Not as warm as 2018/2019 when it was roasting and we were kept on the line for 15 minutes but it's still very warm.

Race report - Docklands 5K

God it's warm, it's really very warm. Bike is locked up, bag away and i'm trotting around the back streets, it's really not necessary to warm up in this heat, why am I bothering. Around the block and the HR is high for this, maybe I should pair it back a little, I don't like the heat, maybe just getting close to 20 mins would be ok, considering. Saying hello to a couple of colleagues in a back lane as I'm doing a few strides and some activations, getting my excuses in early, god it's very warm isn't it...I'm sweating buckets already...very warm nods all round...

Right so 10 minutes to go, better line up, out on the quays and it looks like I'm a little early, O points me in the direction of the 20 minute balloons, your supposed to be up there he says, I meekly agree and shuffle my way forward. I'm a medium bit back from the pacers, suits me grand, I'll see how I'm feeling...maybe today, maybe not..

Announcer is waiting on the ok from the Gardaí that we're good to go, not sure if I'm good to go but I can't get out of here now. Right and we're off, ok it's really f**king warm, don't go tearing off, kept it steady and you'll be fine, you'll get around and what will be will be. Look at the watch, 4.20 pace, ok not that easy, little injection, 3.30, not that much, might have been the gps, cool the jets and get it steady...

Loads of people here and trying to pick myself through the crowd without tripping anyone up, need to keep my rangy legs to myself. Get the shouts from the lads outside the dockers pub, those pints look great, can't wait.

Over the Matt Talbot and it's still very warm but it's ok, still trying to get around those that have shot off too quickly, hopefully that isn't me in a couple of km's.

I've managed to attach myself now to the 20 minute pacers and I'm settling, do a check, breathing is ok, that's positive, legs are ok, that's also positive. Ok now can you manage to relax and just keep it steady, there is nothing like trying to relax to make you tense up...

Go around the turn and it's getting very tight on the street. I'm right behind the balloons now, first real check on the watch, 3.2k, I'm ok, this is great, I'm not dying and I've got to this point, maybe this is actually on. Just focus now on the pacers and not tripping anyone up, trying to find space to run but it's really tight and the couple of people in front and to the side have a different cadence and I've to concentrate really hard to not get in a tangle.

That second pacer looks in trouble, he has the look of a lad who's really warm, I feel his pain. We've slowed here and are over 4min pace, you can't get around and are totally boxed in. I am annoying people now, I know I am, as I'm moving across trying to get around but every time I try someone takes the space or I could be really difficult and stick out the elbows. I keep them to myself.

I'm feeling confident since latching onto the pacers, this is a new feeling, it might be my day.

Back over the Matt Talbot and past the pub, I'm not looking at the pints now, just that balloon. Click over the 4k now, I'm watching the watch, intently. We've picked up the pace and the average is fine, it's the distance, it's not ticking down fast enough, this is starting to feel really tough and I'm officially hot, actually no, roasting.

4.12k, I remember this number because I remember numbers, especially when they are lower than you expect.

Do you know I'm probably, maybe, up on my official pb, if I stopped now or slowed right down I'd probably still get an official pb. It would be fine to do that considering the heat. In fact it would be grand as I don't really think I can go sub 20 anyway. Loads of people stop at this stage, sure you've seen them already, it happens, it's not that big a deal if you do. sure listen to your breathing, you're definately on the edge now, feels horrible, you can't keep that up, you'll start to hyperventilate soon enough and then your f*cked. You should really ease up here a bit.

Stop panting, if you can stop panting then maybe you'll be alright.

I've stopped panting, that was a good idea, you were getting ragged there. Ok the lad with the balloon has turned bright red and you're still behind him, if he can keep going then you can too. Just keep the breathing under control and legs will take care of the rest, do you remember the 800's you did on Monday, you felt fine there and you were running much quicker then, this is the same as that last 800, that's all that you need to do, just breath like you did then, you don't need to do anything more than that.

Jeasus that gantry is miles away, you know this already, in fact you told people about it. It doesn't change the fact that it's miles away and this hurts like hell. 500 meters to go, nothing, I presume I was still looking at the balloon. I just kept moving, there was no sprint finish.

I look up and see a 19 on the clock, I can't read the seconds, doesn't matter, that's all I needed to see. I cross the line and I'm bent over with my hands on my knees, so are the 2 pacers, it was very hot you see. I look at my watch, give it a second look, and I'm happy.

Silly things, it was 5.02, perfect, you've a few that ran a little short so this actually totally counts, doesn't have any doubt around it. It's a PB and it's under 20, you didn't think you could do that 2 minutes ago, in fact you were convinced you couldn't do it 2 minutes ago, you were so convinced that you were going to stop running, only 2 minutes ago. Maybe you've taught yourself a lesson about not listening to yourself sometimes. We'll keep that and use it again, hopefully.

Finishing time 19:36, PB, weather conditions, very warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Congratulations on the sub 20. I looked at the results last night and it screamed jam packed.

• Advertisement

Sunday 26/06

After Thursday's evening success, Friday and Saturday were a bit of a wipe out as I had 2 evening planned out. Got out on Sunday for the usual loop out to Ashtown and back. ~13K. Put the watch just on HR and kept it nice and easy. My left calf was a little tight as I got a cramp in it on Friday night and had to do a little foam rolling on Saturday night. It felt fine and trotted along nicely looking at the reeds by the canal. The weather was a little overcast and a light breeze and it felt great compared to the heat of Thursday. 13K, Avg pace 5.34/k, avg hr 131. Feeling good now, stats are looking like they were in early May and easy pace and HR have started to line up better since the few weeks off, ready for the marathon block.

Travelling on Friday so might need to switch around the runs this week just to get the time in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Congratulations on the sub 20 race!

Thanks, I was really happy with it. I've been so close so many times, a bit like yourself, and it was really nice to do it, just felt like a nice reward for what I think has been some good consistency over the last few months. I would have been so disappointed if the wheels had fallen off at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nice work and fair play for holding it together. Great account of the race too!👍

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Congratulations on the PB.

• Advertisement

It's great to reap the rewards of consistent training! I will be extremely happy if & when I break 20mins😜 Delighted for you!

Back into the log so as I'm not sure where my updates go now that I'm out of the Novices and Graduates threads....

I've had a fair auld break since DCM. Overall very happy and a controlled race. The day went to plan and I was comfortable throughout. it means there is definitely more there to give. Race report is here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121303471/#Comment_121303471

November and December is always very busy, we had 3 birthdays and a Wedding anniversary in the house and this year some family stuff to get through, and then it kicks into Christmas parties and all the rest so it's always very very difficult to keep the consistency going, this year more so than others. I'd like to have been doing more but the break has probably been good for the body. What I really miss is the kids GAA training, it's the anchor for the majority of my runs as they need to get there and when there I can run, without it it feels like I'm taking away from family time and/or I'm just not as motivated to get out.

However I have been a bit active. We've moved offices and back in town and so I'm back on the bike :-) It's been 3 days a week, sometime 4 and others less. I like bike commuting and it's giving me 3 hours a week of free exercise, very good for the aerobic base. I've also found myself a gym for some S&C work. It's a really down to earth place, very friendly and everyone seems to be regulars and knows each other which is very much my type of place. I've got Wednesday now pencilled in from now on to go, it does take a day away from running but I'll just have to manage that, It think it will be worth it. The DOMS from the first session where horrendous though, haven't felt anything like it in a long time!!

Plans now are for the Raheny 5 mile at the end of January and the Bohermeen half in March. Signed up to both and just put together a plan to cover both of these. Hopefully the body holds up for the speed work. Raheny isn't that far away so not sure how well I will go, Bohermeen I would hope to have a good crack at it and see if I can get close to sub 1.30... It's almost an awful pity this year that I didn't race more during the DCM build up, 3 to 4 weeks out I was doing 2.5K reps at threshold effort and getting sub 20 min 5k paces out of it. Had I done a 5K then I would have certainly got a 5K pb and probably sub 19 based on the paces and effort. Maybe next year I'll do that. It probably indicates the volume that I need to be doing weekly in order to get near where I can be at for the shorter distances, I think i was over 70k in the weeks proceeding it - Not sure if that is manageable for a block shorter distance races.....

Signed up for DCM again. I'll aim again for a steady bit off it, I wouldn't expect massive leaps in progress but I should get hopefully the same again, that'll be the aim. That would get me near to a BQ time which I think would just be nice to get rather than having a massive itch to do it although my wife is there very often so there might be a trip out of it if I did mange it!

Christmas was quiet, the vomiting bug will do that to you! But I did have a nice break and didn't go overboard as a result of said sickness so came into the new year feeling ok.

30k the week before Christmas, all easy + my new weekly S&C class which I'm thoroughly enjoying :-) It's circuits and while there has been some DOMS I can actually really feel the benefit of a total body workout.

First week of Jan was 40K, second week was 47K with a 4x1k at 5k effort thrown on. The same again the third week (47K) except I added in a block of 200's at 40 seconds with 40 seconds rest. It was too much, too soon, too fast. The legs had been feeling great and I really wanted to open them up, it was a mistake as I had to pull on the penultimate one with a tight calf. Took a day off and foam rolled the beejeasus out of the legs.

I was grand again for the rest of the week and then on an easy Monday of the last week in Jan it locked again half way through the run. Took 2 days rest and again went at it with the foam roller and the massage gun, easy on Thursday and it was "fine" but booked a physio just in case!

Raheny 5 mile Race Report;

My general running consistency was low but the S&C and commuting by bike I'm sure was adding a little to the fitness as I certainly wasn't feeling a sluggish (i.e. fat as a fool) post Christmas but my expectations were low especially with the calf. Really like the race, we brought the kids and MrsJinx was racing too so it had a nice feel to it although a little busier with having to organise where the kids were to stand and making sure they were warm and had money for hot chocolate!

We lined up good and early, quite near the front. I'd again decided to start with MrsJinx as it can be a bit hectic and I wanted to just make sure she got off alright and who do we see right in front of us only @MiniMonstera . Lovely chat at the beginning and then we were off. It was manic and stayed with MrsJinx for about 500 meters and then made my own way from there.

The pressure was really off so I just went by feel and HR, not particularly keeping an eye on the pace. By about 3k there was a nice bunch of us running together at a very similar pace so I just sat in and worked away. The first time I looked at the distance I was pleasantly surprised to see 4.5K and the average pace was around 4.06/07/08 - happy out. Kept working away and coming into Saint Anne's I was feeling much better than last year when I do remember really starting to struggle. I tried to keep it relaxed and moving going up the long stretch watching the runners come down. I was looking for my brother who I though was miles ahead, it was only as I was just approaching the turning point that I saw him coming back at me but he didn't see me. I get around and start to try and reel him in but in reality everyone was speeding up at this point and while I could just see him up ahead, getting there might have bunched me so I just did the best I could.

Coming around the final straight I knew where the kids would be so I kept my muster until I caught their eyes and then I was able to put the foot down for a fast finish which was a great feeling as I normally too gassed at that stage to put in any kind of a sprint.

I thought I was on the exact same time and pace as last year however I mustn't have remembered it correctly as it was a 31 second pb on last year, 33.03! If I'd have known I was that close I probably would have pushed a bit harder of the last km but sure a pb is a pb and particularly nice when unexpected like that. I think what helped was that I was very relaxed as I wasn't pushing on for a time. Saw @Lazare and @Laineyfrecks at the end and had a quick hello as we all headed off to see others finish.

Overall a good day, I did however see a video posted on youtube of the race at the 7k mark, a quick view of myself on it and I didn't realise how poor my form was. I kind of knew I had this habit but it was very obvious in the video. It seems to happen when I'm getting tired and I tuck my arms in and up high (chicken wings!!!) I was actually great to see as it's something I need to work on as I was obviously not as relaxed in the final couple of k. Trying now on all my easy runs to be conscious of the arm swing and to get the arms lower and swinging. Also trying to get the glutes more engaged as I know that the calf issue is because I'm letting them do all the work and the glutes are being lazy. Physio on Monday and just a little dry needling as it was actually fine but I know this is the root cause, I have very very strong calves apparently!! I have a James Dunne video on a glute activation warm up before a run so I am really going to try and do that now before my runs.

Well done on your PB, was great to see you😊

Just under 2 weeks to go until Bohermeen, the last 3 weeks have averaged 63km and I've had sessions each week.

• Long run, 19k, with 35 mins at marathon effort
    • 3x10mins tempo with 2 mins recovery
    • Long run, 20k, with 3x2.5k at progressive effort
    • 5x1k at 5k effort with 2.30 rest
    • 20k and 23k easy long runs
    • Everything else easy

The stats are looking quite good, this is when you get nervous. My easy effort HR has dropped by about 10bpm from 140 down to 130 while my pace on those easy runs has also dropped by about 20sec/km down to around 5.15/20. I run easy by effort/HR so I'm not pushing on, that just seems to be what's happening.

For the sessions, the tempo was fairly manageable and working out at about 4.30 pace, beside the first rep of the 5x1k (I mustn't have been warmed up enough) I was going well under 4m/km and finished on a 3.44m/km. For the long run with the progressive effort I was looking to see the pace output for the raise in HR, churning up through zone 3 and finishing with HR between 160 and 165 and I was going at 4.10 (the route was rough when I left the PP, NCR is a disaster to run on as the paths are a mess so I couldn't hold the pace - lesson learnt to loop around the park). It all kind of points in a good direction even though I had some favourable conditions with gradient.

It's not all perfect though, cycled home last Thursday during lunch as I had to get back for a parent teacher meeting. Was stressed and under pressure, got off the bike and felt that familiar tweak in my lower back. Couldn't run Thursday in any case and I had to keep Friday quite short so a drop off in weekly mileage. Managed the long run but kept it easy. Still a bit sore at the mo but hopefully it will have cleared up by the end of the week.

So why the change and improvement? Couple of things, the cross training being the main one, I've kept the Circuits Class weekly since December and I'm also getting at least 3 hours a week with the bike commute. The circuits is really helping with working on the muscles I don't normally use, building that all round body strength. The bike is just adding general aerobic capacity and keeping me ticking over even when the running was a little lighter over Christmas but it also helps a lot with running form imo and this I think has been the biggest change, that high knee circular motion.

Which leads into the running form work, I've really been concentrating on using the glutes when running, loosening the hips out and really trying to feel the hips working. I know I've basically been running from the knees down. Really trying to address this and keeping the arms relaxed and swinging. Since starting this I've seen a big improvement for the pace vs effort. I think the bike has had the biggest impact here as when I was doing Tri I was probably only 30/40 seconds off my current 5k time but I was only running twice per week. I think I need the additional work to have the legs able to recruit the additional muscles needs for this running form improvement.

I've noticed that when up at a higher effort level and more tired that I still need to focus on the form, it starts to go back to the bad ways and I tense up a lot, it's like I'm hugging myself to get through it 😂. It's a work in progress but let's see if I can keep improving and as I'm working in more tempo and threshold into the weeks then I'll get more practice.

Looking forward to the HM now, I'm going with the recent tactic which seems to have worked well for me, going by the HR/effort and seeing where that lands me rather than chasing a particular pace goal. If I land somewhere between the last 2 HM's 1.30 and 1.33 I'd be happy considering it's quite early in the year and I seem to perform better in the later half of the year when the volume is up quite a bit with the marathon training.

Week of the 26th Feb was 5 days running, 1 session with 2x10 mins at threshold and then easy running, total 61K with a 25K long run.

I was intending to taper for the week of the 4th March but I didn't expect to taper this much! Just the one run in before Bohermeen, life was very busy and there just wasn't the opportunity when I did pass on the couple of chances I had earlier in the week.

Bohermeen HM race report.

As I mentioned in the last post, I was confident enough going into the race, I didn't think I was in PB shape as the volume wasn't really enough but it was a good enough block of training and I felt good for this time of year. Previous PB was on this course, 2 years ago which was 1.34.43 and I was delighted with that race at the time, it was only my 2nd or maybe 3rd HM so breaking 1.35 was a big goal and target for me.

We stayed in Navan for the night with my MIL and tried to keep the drinking to a minimum watching the match and got to bed early so felt fairly ok in the morning and ready to go. A short scoot over to Bohermeen and got parking in the school grounds instead of having to use the official car park which was a bus ride away from the start line which I didn't fancy.

It was freezing and quite damp when we got out of the car and my teeth were chattering at we warmed up but after a few minutes I warmed up enough and by the run down to the start line I was feeling fine. I took a gel before leaving the car as as per usual I didn't eat before the race. Tucked the rain jacket behind a wall and lined up ready to go. There was a 5 minute delay then to the start as firstly the last bus was dropped off people from the remote car park and then a local lad decided he needed the road, through the start line... one can only assume that he wasn't best pleased about his local access being restricted for the race and decided to make a point at the most difficult time, perhaps he urgently need milk or something!

We were off and it was a relatively slow start, 4.30 m/k for the first k but that it alright although my HR was a bit high considering, I think I was in the low 160's and I would have though I would have been in the 150 at this stage, the uphill start probably didn't help. After a couple of K a chap called Sean who does a YT channel and I have met in McGrattans after DCM pulled up alongside me and we had a brief chat, he was off chasing the 1.30 balloon and I let him off at it, I'd say he caught them!

21.43 for the first 5K and 21.41 for the second 5K so I was very consistent in my splits, keeping the HR just under 170 and I think average pace per km was 4.20/4.21. The aim now was to get that under 4.20 average for a good finish in the 4 and teens. I was feeling ok and strong enough, managing the effort well.

Then I decided to have a barney on the course. I had reeled in a couple of large lads where running a good pace and for me finding a couple of big guys I could tuck in behind for a while and get a touch of cover from would be a nice change. Caught up with them and tucked in but I was only behind them for a little while when one of the guys finished his gel and then through it right into the hedgerow. Lots of tutting from the group of us behind then a couple of minutes later the second fella goes and does the exact same thing. I lost the rag and had to call the pair of them out on it. Of course they didn't like this at all and I was told where to go but I couldn't let it slide. I just don't understand how you could do that, the argument back to me was that sure you do it with the water bottles but this was miles away from any water station and right in the hedgerow, it's just not on at all.

Now I'm in a bit of a quandary as we're running at the same pace, I'm not going to be able to blast past them so I have to just sit behind for a while, after a bit I'm feeling ok so I go past but I'm not sure what mood these lads are in and I'm always conscious that I could get a bit of a trip from behind (probably totally made up in my head but there you go).

Next 5k 21.20 and average pace into the teens, good. Around 15K a girl crosses in front of me and nearly trips me up, she says sorry and then she just starts chatting away like mad!! I get the whole life story :-) She was just doing this as part of a training run and had another 10k to do afterwards (we're running at 4.15 pace). she'd taken a fall earlier and by the looks of her wrist it was sprained.... We were chatting back and forth and as the final 5K closed in I was just on single words while it was not a bother to her at all, I think she was a sub elite based on some of the conversation. She said to tell her to be quiet if it was bothering me but I told her that it was a good distraction. I'm not 100% sure if it was, I had been averaging 4.15's but I was more around 4.20's now and breathing hard but this could have happened in any case towards the end of the race.

Last 5K 21.27 - Hr was up into the 170's and breathing hard now, the girl stayed with me and encouraged me across the line, I did a sprint finish and came under the 1.31 at 1.30.50 which I was very happy with, it's my second fastest HM and I think I gave it everything. Maybe if I had been fully concentrating on my own running for the last 5K I might have been able to ramp it up or, or perhaps, most likely I was hitting the end of my fitness at 17/18K and I could have fallen back a bit further, who knows but it was a good showing.

The only real negative was that I destroyed the toe nails on my right foot. 4 new black ones and I had been doing so well, I didn't clip them beforehand or perhaps the shoes wasn't on 100% right as I did have to adjust it twice before we set off, very tender today as I made a real mess of the second biggest :-(

Met @scotindublin at the finish line for a quick chat and then collected the rain jackets on the CD and MrsJinx in the finishing area. We were wet to the bone and cold by the time we got to the car but had some dry gear with us and changed and blasted the heat up to get the chill out of the bones :-)

Off on holidays at the weekend, hopefully get some easy running in and then back before Easter and we'll take it from there. I don't have a plan yet, not sure what races or distances I'm going to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Well done.

couldn’t understand that car being allowed down through 1500 people on a tight country road at all - I’m guessing they couldn’t/wouldn’t stop them. Bizarre.

cold and wet as you mentioned, always a good race. Decent PB for me on the day.

Well done. I know it was really bizarre, they obviously choose the most inappropriate time just to make a point....

Back from holidays and it looks like all I missed was rain :-)

Took it easy over the holidays, 3 runs was all over the 10 days, the downtime was nice. Good to relax and spend time with the family and enjoy some sunshine. I've a bit of a head cold on the return and it's slightly in the chest so hoping it clears up fairly soon.

Came back with a plan for the next few months. Based on the types of minor injuries I've pick up over the last couple of years and the type of running I've enjoyed most I've decided to keep with the Half for the next block. In my head I think I'm a little concerned with doing a lot of the shorter harder stuff, in particular, intervals on my own when I tend to push a bit too hard and pick up the niggles. Club running just isn't fitting into the routine at the moment so I think this suits best.

Signed up for the Joe Duffy HM on 6th July, hopefully it won't be too hot for it! I think this is a new route which avoids running along the beach and it's very flat so hopefully a good outing. There are also a couple of 5k's in and around the same time like saint Coca's and the Grant Thornton in town which I might throw myself into depending on how I'm feeling.

I went a purchased a Ben Parkes HM plan. I've watches his Video's for a couple of years now so decided to support by getting a plan. It looks fairly good, HM L4. Paces are set out for the various HM targets. Weekly mileage is in and around what I would be expecting to do. It's not dissimilar to the grads plan in that it's 2xsessions per week with an alternating long run of Easy vs with goal paced work. I've really got it to take the sessions out of it and use them within my usual weekly routine. It's a 12 week plan so I've this week for the cold to clear up and get moving again and then start into it.

Also signed up for the Final 10K and HM race series as they are really accessible for MrsJinx and I and a good lead up to DCM. Skipped the 10 mile as last year was a disaster as we were just back from holidays, same thing was going to happen again so decided not to be a glutton for punishment!

• Advertisement

God almighty but work can just be crazy sometimes. I'm absolutely pull in all directions at the moment and it's quite hard to keep the head above water. Running is keeping me sane (more than usual) as it's something I can keep in control of and try and tick the box off each day and to have a focus for the mind that isn't work… It's working for me anyway and long may that continue as I'd crack up and just not leave the desk if I didn't have my run to do or kids to ferry to training and it forces me out and I always feel better after it.

I'm just into week 4 now of the Ben Parks HM training plan. Ramped up from 59K to 64K to 74K in the last 3 weeks. Mid week sessions have been a little spicy but no injuries thankfully and the body has been able to handle 800m repeats at 5K pace and 1k reps at 10k pace without me going completely off the rails and going far too fast which is the usual issue I have. I'm still probably going slightly on the faster side of the pace bands (5k pace intervals at 3.50 k/m or slightly faster, 10k pace intervals at 4k/m or slightly faster and HM really trying to be consistent around the 4.15 k/m pace).

It is amazing how I ran a HM 5/6 weeks ago at 4.18 pace and then you do a 3k HM interval at 4.15 in the middle of a long run and you are bunched, I suppose it's just the tired legs and all that but hopefully this works. I am trying to make sure I do the hard sessions hard and easy easy and the paces are correct for where I am at. Today is a rest day and really looked forward to it as I had to back end the 2 sessions last week into the end of the week so I was quite tired heading out on Sunday and really didn't fancy it but got it done which is all that matters and happy that I did, another box ticked off.

Week 1 59K Session 6x3k at 5k pace, LR 18k

Week 2 64K Session 6x1k at 10k pace, LR 8k easy 3k HM 8k easy

Week 3 74K Session 5x1k at 10k pace 3x400 at 5k pace, LR 5kEasy 3KHM 5KEasy 3KHM 5KEasy

Recovery week this week, back down to 58K with a 3x8 HM session and 18K long run all easy.

Also wound up bookending the Clontarf HM with the Saint Coca's 5K and then the Docklands 5K as I liked those races when I've done them before. I need to remember the HM is the A race so I'll see closer to the time how I approach them (that is a lot of racing for me!)

Week 7 of the plan. Things I'm learning.

Right now running 6 days a week is difficult.

• This is due to work mostly but also I've been tired as well from the load and on Monday's when there is a rest day planned I've wanted to take it, but Monday is one of the days I can definitely run, if I take the rest day I am under pressure for the rest of the week.
    • I've been trying to make it up with a bit of Saturday running, it's not ideal and doesn't really fit as I normally do the supermarket shop at that time!
    • I had been able to get a shortish run in on Wednesdays before the gym, that hasn't worked out the last couple of weeks. I'd like to keep the gym in place as it's good for me but it does mean that run is inconsistent.

I need to consider all of this for the next marathon build and maybe I can't up the mileage from last year which was the intention…..

I've enjoyed the sessions on the plan.

• Good range of paces from 5k up and different time/distance each week in the speedier sessions. I've enjoyed that and with the exception of the 1 minute repeats last week I've kept them all in range and not gone out too hard
    • The HM intervals in the middle of the long runs have been harder than expected. I though they would be fairly straightforward but I struggled with the 6K on Sunday at pace (could have been the heat) but generally I've needed a walk rest after the interval (1 or 1.5 minutes) then then back to easy. I though it would be easier and it's not like I'm going a lot faster than my last race effort (less than 10 secs/k than Bohermeen)
    • I hope it feels easier on the day, I expect it will as training is usually harder than race day (that is what I'm telling myself anyway)

I missed about 4 runs over the last 3 weeks. Not ideal and reasons are above so I'm not hitting the mileage on the plan. Slightly worrying but there is not a lot I can do except prioritise the sessions. I'm about ~10k short each week

Week 4 - 50K - took the rest day on Monday and didn't catch up in the end and only a short run at the weekend, busy bank holiday added to limited availability

Week 5 - 67K - both sessions and 22k vanilla long run (5 days running only)

Week 6 - 69K - good session on Tuesday with 15 min HM followed by 8x1m 5K (but a bit fast but not fast enough to cause an injury or strain anything thankfully). Tried to catch up some mileage on the sat but after 3 laps of the pitches at GAA training I was done mentally and physically.

This week is supposed to be 80K but I'm not going to hit it as I've a bike ride on Sunday, will do the long run on Saturday instead. Will see if I can do a short run before the gym or skip the gym, not sure yet.

Oh I bought some new gear!! Got a couple of pairs of the Asics 2:1 5in shorts (with cycling short type boxer under them) for €25 a pop. They are not the ventilate version I have already, the material is solid, but I do like these as it stops the leg chafing.

Needed to refresh a couple of the running singlets as the grey UA ones just haven't lasted so got a couple of new ones, hope they are the same model, some product names can be similar but not the same. I've found the UA ones great, super soft and don't cause any rubbing. Threw a pair of regular shorts in the basket to see how they go if I use the anti-chafe cream on shorter runs.

Saw a 25% off voucher for 365 rider and wound up buying the Saucony ride 17, I'm going to return them as it was just an impulse buy with the discount!! I like softer shoes and the reviews of these don't match what I want, will try them on but expect to return.

Thinking of getting the NB 1080's v13 or Rebel v4 for a comfort ride and then either the Speed or Triumph 21 for daily in the marathon block. I'll see how the budget is. I've a voucher for the run hub so going to try and get over there at the weekend

Week 7

Spicy enough week. Session was 5min @10k with 2 minutes rest and 4 x 2 mins at 5k pace. After the first rep it all came together and hit the paces no issue.

It was a high mileage week so I kept getting the runs in. Saturday was the long run with stuff. 5K on off for 25K, so 2x5K at HM pace. At this stage I'd been running 12 days straight which is probably beyond me at this stage. Got out to the PP in 5K, then there is a loop around the visitors centre of just over 5K so started at the Cabra gate and went for it. First HM 5K went fine, hit the paces, 3rd 5K was easy, when I went for the second 5K at HM pace I knew the legs just didn't have it, I could feel the fatigue. I didn't stop though, ground out a 5K at 4.27 m/k, not the pace I was looking for but I was kind of happy with myself for toughing it out as it would have been much easier to call it a day. There was a slog home with a stop for an ice cream and a half litre of Lucozade sport!

75K for the week in total which is better than I expected although still a little shy of the planned 80k (with a 70k cycle thrown in for good measure).

Week 8

I was very happy for the rest day on Monday of week 8 and a step back week. I decided I would take the rest and just ease off as I could feel the energy levels were low. 4 runs, 58K and an S&C session for the week. Very manageable. Only session was 4x 1 mile at HM pace which was comfortable enough at 4.10 m/k as it was after the rest day so felt refreshed for it.

This week and next week are peak weeks, >80K each, that is marathon mileage for me. Will be good to get them over with. Session done already this week and 2 runs completed. I just need to figure out the weekend as there is, again, a good bit on.

We'll see how this all pans out however I do feel my form is improving. On the session this evening I didn't have to concentrate on the form as much, I seemed to be naturally running a bit taller. I've also found that when trying to get up to higher paces I'm not relying on a very fast turnover to do it, "I feel" I'm using more of my stride and mechanics overall to get there. I'm sure if I had a video it'd still very much look like plodding however it does feel better and more engaged with a better arm swing and hips more forward. Even though the S&C is only once a week perhaps it's making a bit of a difference.

Week 9

This was the first of the peak weeks. Speed session was 5mins HM, 2mins 10K and 1min 5K x4 on the Tuesday. This went pretty well, paces were probably at the top end however again with the loop I was doing I had the downhill for the 10K and 5K portion so to have the effort right I felt I need to be 5to 10 sec's per km faster than I could actually manage in reality. Some of the session have been complicated like this one so instead of just using the lap button I programmed in the session on my watch. It's really handy when it buzzes you to change which is great but I did also put in the pace zones and that got annoying really quickly as it was going off all the time either as I'm starting, loosing gps, speeding up into the next pace bracket and overshooting a bit…lots of buzzing

The long run was 24K as 8K Easy 8K HM and 8K Easy. Went to the PP for this and did a big loop from the Ashtown gate, up to Castleknock gate, down chesterfield and around by the Zoo and up the north road to finish back at the Ashtown gate. I was really happy to have hit the pace, especially coming up the north road which I thought could really kill me off but I held up really well and walked away with a bit of confidence.

In total 84K on the plan and 84K completed so was also really happy to have ticked all the boxes for the week.

Week 10 was a different story! 13K very easy on the Monday and the session was supposed to be Tuesday but I was lone parenting, had a sh1t tone of work on my plate and by 7pm even the thoughts of a run coupled with the jobs to do still had me on edge. My 11 year told told me it was fine to skip the run so I did, she was right. I'd a work evening the following day, no run, and a hangover after going to Fat Boy Slim on Friday (it was sh1te) and decided I wasn't going to flog a dead horse.

I got my session in on Thursday, 6x 800m at 10k and 200m at 5k. I did this at the 15 acres in the PP. The wind was fierce strong, the head was a little sore after the previous evening but the sun was out and it didn't go too bad. The long run was 16K easy, 8k HM and 2K easy. I ran clockwise into the park, around by the zoo and up to Castleknock train station and then from there I had a nice straight 8k along the canal and finishing me off just about the 2k from home. The gradient and bit of a breeze were with me so I did decided to make sure the effort was there and get the pace to 4.10 instead of 4.15. I cruised along, obviously the fresh legs helping me as much as the favourable route. I got the nicest (indirect) complement along the way, I was passing out these two ladies out for their run and I just heard in the background "he just breezed along - yeah yeah totally breezed by" - nice to think someone thinks you're breezing along :-) It's taken 8 years to get to this point.

So not a good week volume wise, 60k out of 87K on the plan. Life happens. Also my knee was sore this morning, just below the knee cap. I was going to run today and make up a bit of volume but decided rest was the best thing to do, getting sensible in my old age. I'll hammer the IT bands with the massage gun this evening and hopefully that will do the trick.

2 more week now, I've booked Saint Coca's but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it as I might not have transport to get out there and also it's the week before the HM and it wouldn't be a good idea, I think, to race it considering the Clontarf half is the A race. If I do get to go I'm going to put the watch on HR and get to 175bmp/~85% effort and hold it there. I'm going to do the Docklands 5K the week after the HM so I can race that, although I'm sure the legs will be a little cooked (assuming the HM goes ok that is!)

Weeks 11 and 12 were a bit of a mess, to be honest. My knees were sore, so I had to start running every other day, and work was incredibly hectic. My mileage dropped quickly as life took over. Then I realized I had miscalculated my dates and ended up creating a 3-week taper instead of the planned 2-week taper. I had accidentally used the date for Saint Coca’s instead of the half marathon when making my plan. What a stupid mistake.

On top of that, I came down with an allergy on Monday evening after cutting the grass at home. I woke up the next morning completely stuffed up and spent the week trying different meds. By the time I got to Saint Coca’s, my mileage was down to about 30K for the 2 weeks of tapering, having missed out on 20K from the peak week.

Race Report: Saint Coca’s 5K

I decided to stick with my plan of not treating it as an all-out race but instead getting into that high threshold, low VO2 max heart rate zone and holding it there. After a 12-hour day sitting in the home office, I got up at 6:30, threw on my gear, and headed out the door.

I managed a reasonable warm-up with some easy running, strides, and about a minute and a half of tempo work to shake off the initial stiffness. I really like this race. You start by heading over the motorway, through some roundabouts, and then onto country roads for most of the route. I met @murph_D at the start line, we wished each other good luck, and then we were off.

I set my watch to monitor my heart rate, managing the start for the first few hundred meters before steadily getting up to the high 160s. At the 3K mark, I was feeling strong, so I pushed slightly into the low 170s, and it felt great to be passing people instead of being passed.

Around the 4K mark, I started to feel the effort and had to dig in a bit. My heart rate probably peaked at around 175 as I climbed the hill towards the finish line. It was only when I could see and hear the finish gantry that I realized where I was, so I went for a sprint finish, seeing 19 minutes on the clock.

I finished in 19:15, which is a 31-second pb! It was an excellent result, especially knowing that I had more in the tank because I hadn’t gone all out. Maybe managing my effort well, even without hitting the really high heart rates, gave me a better performance than going all out the entire race. Something to think about for the future.

Clontarf Half Marathon

This is now the 3rd week of taper! I was still only running every other day and had to skip the speed sessions because work was insane. This project is wrapping up, but it's taken a lot out of me. Sometimes, even when I had time to run, I just didn't have the energy.

I was still feeling the head cold and allergies from the previous week, which hadn’t fully cleared. After Saint Coca’s, I was feeling confident, but that started to fade as the week went on. I didn't get much running done during the week and felt like I was falling off my peak.

On race day, it was very windy, and the crowds were insane. I moved up through the crowd to get closer to the front, but the 1:30 pacer balloons disappeared around the corner early on, and I never saw them again.

For the first 6 or 7 ks, the wind was at my back, and I was flying along. Looking back, I realise I was probably going too fast. I was running at about 4:10-4:11 / k, with my heart rate in the high 160s. My thinking was to bank some time while the wind was behind me, knowing it would be tough on the way back. When we turned around at Sutton after about 10K, I realized just how strong the wind was!

I was struggling with my cold, which hadn’t gone away. I couldn't breathe through my nose, so I had trouble eating my energy sweets and had to swallow them whole. I was also getting thirsty and had to stop and walk to drink water at the roundabout on bull island. The wind was brutal as we headed back onto the promenade, and by about 13-14K, my energy levels dipped. I knew a sub-1:30 finish was out of reach, and my motivation just left me. It became a real struggle from about 16K onward, with the wind making it even harder. I'm not sure if it was physical, mental or both, perhaps just seeing the pace tick down got to me.

People were passing me, and I knew it wasn't my day. I walked through another water station just to get a drink, and the last few k's were a real struggle. My Strava graph shows a serious bonk around 13-15K, where the wheels just fell off, although my HR was down rather than up. Finishing time was 1.32 high and I certainly didn't feel great about it afterwards however it is my 3rd fastest HM and I did a 10K pb out on the course but it's not what I wanted.

Reflecting on it, the wind was tough, but my faster start might not have helped. I had hoped to have some energy reserves to fight through the wind and get a PB, but it just didn’t happen.

Next week, I have the Grant Thornton 5K on Thursday. I'll probably do one or two runs in between, but my legs are feeling quite heavy with lactic acid. I thought after Saint Coca’s that I could take more time off my 5K, so we'll see how it goes. Then I have the Fingal 10K on Sunday. That makes four races in three weeks, which is the most I’ve ever done. I normally don’t race much and won’t race again until the Dublin Half in September, when I'll be well into marathon training. We'll see if I have anything more to give in these next two races.

The end of the racing block :-)

Wow 4 races in such a short time, I've never done that before and I have to say I found it enjoyable. I wouldn't do it all the time though as my general consistency was out the door and I would rest up before the races so the mileage was down quite a bit and I was tired however it was good to experience it.

GT 5K - Another PB :-)

The details are getting hazy now but this was a good one. As I put on my Strava, this is the race, exactly 8 years ago that I did my couch to 5K after not doing very much exercise and smoking for 20 years. I do like this race and I think it's this race that has all my previous 5K PB's. I did think there was something in this for me based on Saint Coca's so I went in feeling good and confident enough of running a good race.

Cycled down from work and got the bag dropped off and all that and the did a bit of a warm up. I think I'm getting better at these and did some strides and a couple of minutes tempo and some dynamic stretches. Lined up just behind the 20 minute pacers, rather than pushing up past them, and then headed off. Again I went with the HR on the watch. Had to push through a busy first 500 meters (maybe should have pushed up a little ahead of the 20 pacers) and then just got myself into a nice rhythm. Ticked through the first few km's and at 3k I was going to switch the watch but decided I was ok with what i was doing. I knew from the turn around that I had put a reasonable gap to the 20 minute pacers so I just kept moving along. At 4k I had to bite down and keep it moving and then I was staring at the gantry for the last 500 meters. I had heard an 18 from the announcer when I was within earshot so I gave it everything and crossed the line. Checking Strava it gave me 18.52 which is just amazing. I was delivered, when I checked the race results the next day it only had 19.02. I don't know why that happened, I obviously understand it on a half due to the longer distances but I've never seen that on such a short distance. I "claimed" the 18.52 when I updated my strava - probably cheating in some way as I always use the chip time but I've already done it so maybe just this once I'll go with the watch and take the slap on the wrist…:-)

Fingal 10K Another Another PB :-)

I was conscious that this was the 4th race, I'd been chatting to someone during the week and they did highlight that a bit of caution might be needed for this one and I thought they were right so I decided not to "race it". Lined up with MrsJinx a good bit behind the 50 minute pacers and I was happy to go off at an easier pace and see how the legs felt. It's a really crowded start and MrsJinx was happy to have a big lad there to get her through the crowds at the start however after about 400 meters she waved me on so off I went. This was just before the turn onto the motorway so I was able to get into the middle of the road and just work my way through the crowd.

Passed the 50 minute pacers fairly quickly and then we headed onto the country roads. It was a couple of K's before I saw the next set of baloons and I was actually just moving really nicely. However I was a bit confused and it took me a couple of minutes to realise they were 45 minute pacers and that I had slowed a little and I had to work my way around them which was harder to do on the tighter roads. All the same I was still moving well, I had all the screens available and clocked that my first 5k was 21.3x which was slow enough but I was feeling good. Pass a couple of club mates along the way and again just kept moving along, HR was low 16x's. Comfortably hard but not into the red line area at all.

The last 2/3k were an amazing feeling, I was looking at the pace and I was very comfortably on 4m/k pace. I was passing people all the time and my breathing was good while I could hear those around me starting to struggle. I've not experience that before and it did give me a mental lift. I was a little held up in the woods but not much and no one's fault as I had started so much further back and I did my best to just get around when I could using the bits of verge and grass.

Crossed the line in 41.27, another pb. It' looks like I did the second 5K in 20.07 which is just incredible :-) by the looks of it I lost about 30 seconds on the first km but I wasn't chasing a time so I'm happy to know there is more there and really delighted to see that there was a sub 4m/k and several 4m/k mixed in there over the race.

Overall, very happy with this block of training although I didn't get the A goal which was the HM but the other results have given me a lot of confidence. Looking back my keys learnings are

1. I probably need to be around 50 miles / 80k per week to see these results, which is a lot of running
    2. I can't do 6 days per week, for the marathon I will do 5 days and an S&C session
    3. The variety of pace work in the plan probably did me very good, although some sessions were quite complicated
    4. I'm now not afraid to be running for a prolonged period of time at sub 4m/k. I think I had a mental barrier here that 3.xx pace was just too fast and I would blow up. I'm not afraid of that anymore, I think :-)
    5. Running to HR was a good way to just listen to the body and run a controlled race. However I think I am probably leaving time on the table. For races in the past I have run with HR in the 180's, I can go there, it's just very uncomfortable, I didn't want to for these, but if I want to get the most out of the race then I need to practice this.
    6. Looking forward now to the marathon and for that distance probably a bit of confidence that the few blocks back to back have probably brought me on a bit.
    7. Next year I think I'd re-evaluate doing HM block HM block Mara block. I think the 2 HM's block back to back might have been slightly too much (could have been life workload too) but I think a 5k 10k block in between might better, we'll see on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Thats a pretty hectic period of racing, but PBs falling like skittles speaks well to your form!

I totally hear you you on Point 4 btw; I still have that mental barrier.. 3:xx is fast. 4:xx is not.

• Advertisement

It was hectic but it worked out and no injuries afterwards which was the aim by the end of it all. I think the form is good, certainly managing myself better and finishing strong which is a turn up for the books

I think 3.xx will always be fast !!

Advertisement