Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarificaton of RPZ rent increase

Options
  • 19-06-2020 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hiya folks
    I have looked this up and am just truying to confirm what I think
    If a house is rented in a RPZ and the tenant decides to leave, is there a limit on the rent for any subsequent new rental.

For example: Mary rents a house at 500 euro a month. She moves out and it is put back up for rental. Is there a limit on the rental demand for any new tenant?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Hiya folks
    I have looked this up and am just truying to confirm what I think
    If a house is rented in a RPZ and the tenant decides to leave, is there a limit on the rent for any subsequent new rental.

For example: Mary rents a house at 500 euro a month. She moves out and it is put back up for rental. Is there a limit on the rental demand for any new tenant?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, 4% amortised since last rent review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yes, there is a limit; RPZ restrictions on rent increases remain in effect even between tenancies. See this article from the RTB for a detailed explanation. You should use the RPZ calculator to determine the maximum rent amount you can charge the new tenant. Remember that you must provide the new tenant with the previous tenant's last rent amount, the date that rent was last set, and how you calculated the new tenant's rent based on those details and the RPZ rules. If you fail to provide that information and set their rent higher than allowed, they can bring you to the RTB and most likely get an order against you to refund any overpaid rent, and possibly additional damages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

dennyk wrote: »
    Yes, there is a limit; RPZ restrictions on rent increases remain in effect even between tenancies. See this article from the RTB for a detailed explanation. You should use the RPZ calculator to determine the maximum rent amount you can charge the new tenant. Remember that you must provide the new tenant with the previous tenant's last rent amount, the date that rent was last set, and how you calculated the new tenant's rent based on those details and the RPZ rules. If you fail to provide that information and set their rent higher than allowed, they can bring you to the RTB and most likely get an order against you to refund any overpaid rent, and possibly additional damages.

Wow. I can see why landlords are leaving the market. Thanks everyone. Some interesting information there.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

That's correct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

https://www.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz

Having said that not every landlord if any will comply with all sections of the regulations ,just those that suit

• Advertisement
Advertisement