Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screw stuck in back box

• 19-06-2020 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

So.. I unscrewed the light switch to check if I had neutral wire for a smart switch (I don't) and when I went to screw it back in one of the screws stopped 2/3 of the way in and wouldn't go any further and now it won't come out either..

Any advice on how to get it out? There's about 10mm of screw through the thread. Cut it off with a dremel too to free the switch and then how to do I sort the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is there enough of the screw head exposed to catch it with a pliers and apply force in the direction to take the screw out from the hole.
    If so, catch it firmly (and carefullly) and turn the pliers counter clockwise while keeping force applied to pull it out.

If that doesn't work, or if you cannot grip the head tightly enough, use a small vice grips. Be careful to only apply force to pull the screw in the desired direction, if you swing the pliers all over the place, you could twist the head of the screw off.

If you do get it removed, try to see was there some dust ot swarf which caused it to jam in the thread and remove that or otherwise clean the thread. Then use a new screw to try to smoothen out the thread. You should be using a new screw anyway, once this one is removed, bin it.

Advertisement