Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Director tweets racist comments, no repercussions

Options
  • 19-06-2020 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭

So Ava DuVernay the Director of the up and coming DC superhero movie The New Gods has written a very racist tweet.

It appears she wants to hire based on race and wants a black editor, she got back lash from other editors working in the industry saying it was wrong/illegal to hire based on race however her response would get a white director fired for sure, IMO we have to hold everyone to the same standards as it is the only way to live in a fair and equal world.
    517093.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So Ava DuVernay the Director of the up and coming DC superhero movie The New Gods has written a very racist tweet.

It appears she wants to hire based on race and wants a black editor, she got back lash from other editors working in the industry saying it was wrong/illegal to hire based on race however her response would get a white director fired for sure, IMO we have to hold everyone to the same standards as it is the only way to live in a fair and equal world.

Tbh it just looks like she’s adhering to the standards already set in the industry, which is kinda her point with that tweet I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

This lady is a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Trying to trap these people in their own "you're racist" rhetoric hasn't worked, and won't work. Ever.

They never thought you were "racist." They just saw that the word made you ashamed, and they kept using it.

They don't want fairness. They don't want equality. They want you gone, whitey.

Wake the f*ck up!

She has a scummy way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

But what about whatabout?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

considering the ****e she has directed she'd be lucky if anybody would be in a film of hers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

Selma was a very good film in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

It's OK to be racist against whites OP

Bit idiotic of her to make her announcement public.

She's now just openly admitted having a racist hiring practice, If I had the relevant qualifications for those jobs I'd put my name up for the job and then sue the **** out of her/the studio when I don't get the job.

She'll now be forced to hire white people for the jobs she's mentioned in order to avoid any legal trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Overheal wrote: »

But the issue is she can have her own internal bias but to announce it to the world and not give everyone a chance is just wrong on so many levels, what happens if everyone else followed her example, then there would be no equality, each race would only hire their own then there really would be no upward mobility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Capitalism is the ultimate leveller here. If she doesn't want to hire the best film editor available then her movies will never be among the best.

The other companies that hire this talent will make more money, out compete here and eventually run her racist business to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I see did African American studies in colaiste.

Plenty of money to be made with the race baiting angry black woman routine peddling guilt to the masses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Selma was a very good film in fairness.

Yeah but it distorted history, particularly in its depiction of LBJ.
    Duverney attempted to silence criticism on this by playing the race card and the outrage card.
    I'm not astonished to hear her advocate for racist and sexist hiring practices tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Bit idiotic of her to make her announcement public.

She's now just openly admitted having a racist hiring practice,If I had the relevant qualifications for those jobs I'd put my name up for the job and then sue the **** out of her/the studio when I don't get the job.

She'll now be forced to hire white people for the jobs she's mentioned in order to avoid any legal trouble.

I’m not sure how well that would work out considering people don’t get jobs they are fully qualified for all the time. There would probably have to be a direct comment to you about your skin colour at interview or in the interview notes at the very least. I am being genuine here.

I’m not sure how well that would work out considering people don’t get jobs they are fully qualified for all the time. There would probably have to be a direct comment to you about your skin colour at interview or in the interview notes at the very least. I am being genuine here.

She's publicly admitted that's she only going to consider hiring black people for these jobs.You'd have some sort of case I would think, certainly enough of an argument for suing in America (considering it's an incredibly litigious country) and could probably get a nice out of court settlement just to shut you up.

I only mention the qualifications because I don't have the relevant qualifications so I'd have no right to complain about not getting a job but someone with relevant qualifications would probably have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I see it as a comment on bias. It's fine to ignore bias when it can only suit you. Now there are other groups in positions of power and if bias is ok for you, it's OK for them too.

So what's the solution? Everyone confront their biases and work to expose and eliminate them, or everyone ignore their biases and let the chips fall where they may?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

The thread title is misleading.
    I expected to find here some white racist male who is about to loose his job!

#blackracistsdontmatter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It takes a special type of stupid to think that you can combat racism with racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Racism is acceptable against white people.

A fact in the modern world.

Perhaps all the white people supporting black lives matter should have a think and ask what they're really supporting.

Racism is wrong against ALL colours.

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    Racism is acceptable against white people.

A fact in the modern world.

Perhaps all the white people supporting black lives matter should have a think and ask what they're really supporting.

Racism is wrong against ALL colours.

Isn't it such a pity that so many people had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to that conclusion?

The mere suggestion that a black person could be biased against white people seems to do wonders for people's perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Terrible person.

Best to move on. Haven't got time for idiots like that.

Isn't it such a pity t g at do many people had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to that conclusion?

The mere suggestion that a black person could be biased against white people seeks to do wonders for people's perspective.

I've always been anti-racism, anti-sectarian, anti-gender discrimination.
    Most people are incredibly biased. Many whites don't give a xxxx about racism against blacks. Blacks certainly don't give a xxxx about racism against whites and women don't give a xxxx about discrimination against men.

People only care about what affects them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I've always been anti-racism, anti-sectarian, anti-gender discrimination.
    Most people are incredibly biased. Many whites don't give a xxxx about racism against blacks. Blacks certainly don't give a xxxx about racism against whites and women don't give a xxxx about discrimination against men.

Only whites have to be anti racist though, or our silence is violence if we just want to get on with our own lives.

I've seen plenty of people say white men need to fight for their own stuff and not expect others to help them in relation to make discrimination but they want our help then when it's something that affects them.

You wan to see the abuse people throw at "middle class, white people" who get involved in BLM and men who get involved in women's issues. Lots od people try to really discourage anyone who supports an issue that doesn't affect them directly. It's a pity.

You wan to see the abuse people throw at "middle class, white people" who get involved in BLM and men who get involved in women's issues. Lots od people try to really discourage anyone who supports an issue that doesn't affect them directly. It's a pity.

The fact that someone supports an issue that doesn't affect them shows to me that they care about it more.

titan18 wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of people say white men need to fight for their own stuff and not expect others to help them in relation to make discrimination but they want our help then when it's something that affects them.

It would certainly help of men get the ball rolling on men's issues. Then, the bigger the movememt the more popular the movement can become and the more effective it can become.

Broad appeal and popularity are crucial to achieve change - as BLM has right now. How to get the movement started? It will be down to the most committed, most passionate advocates and they're like to be the people directly affected.

The fact that someone supports an issue that doesn't affect them shows to me that they care about it more.

Of course. And they'll get additional abuse for their trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It would certainly help of men get the ball rolling on men's issues. Then, the bigger the movememt the more popular the movement can become and the more effective it can become.

Broad appeal and popularity are crucial to achieve change - as BLM has right now. How to get the movement started? It will be down to the most committed, most passionate advocates and they're like to be the people directly affected.

Men have though. It doesn't get the media coverage though and it generally doesn't until minorities or women get involved in a cause. Even if media did get involved, they'd likely be shouted down as sexist for focusing on it.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Men have though. It doesn't get the media coverage though and it generally doesn't until minorities or women get involved in a cause. Even if media did get involved, they'd likely be shouted down as sexist for focusing on it.

White men are considered less worthy of having their rights upheld....Or even of having fewer rights. Just ask any father trying to get child custody.

Advertisement