Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total beginner : Leisure only

Options
  • 19-06-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    My name is **removed** and I'm a new "cyclist".
    Well, not really. I own a bike and I can ride it for a few km.
    I bought a bike last year sometime and did a few short leisurely runs.

I have a Halford's special "Carrera Crossfire 2". It's nothing special, but it is the first bike I bought in about 30 years, and I figured it was good balance between super-cheap bikes and "a bit too much to spend in case it ends up sitting in the shed". I must admit its actually great for me. I have fancy disc brakes and load of gears :)

So, for a leisure cyclist like me, I'm a bit of a geek and I'd like to keep track of my speeds, distances, etc without spending much. Are there any decent cheap "cycling computers" or are the cheap ones all rubbish ?

Are there any beginner's tips for people like me ? I'm never going to be the guy who cycles 50km or more, but I do enjoy my short rides (cycles ?).

AdThanksvance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dealgan wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a geek and I'd like to keep track of my speeds, distances, etc without spending much. Are there any decent cheap "cycling computers" or are the cheap ones all rubbish ? ...
    If you have a smart phone there should be a few free app available such as Strava etc. You can combine that with a basic Cateye for your bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Check the adverts- I see a lad selling a Garmin 500 on adverts here for 55 quid- it will do more than you ever imagined possible

I think you're doing cycling right OP. Too many people start and get hung up on how far they have to go and forget they are supposed to be enjoying it and feel like doing what ever distance they did isn't enough.

If you want to spend f all get a mount for your phone and use strava or ride with gps. If you don't need to see speed and distance while out just get the free apps and stick the phone in your pocket and check it at the end.

As mentioned some of the lower end Cateye and Wahoo units are good when paired with the phone apps and you'll have a history of each ride with them with more feedback such as elevation gained etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

Thanks everyone for replies.

I did think of using my phone, but its on its last legs and battery life isn't the best ! Might still be the best idea. I got the cyclemeter app on my phone but forgot to start it before I left home today. duh.

Any other advice / suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I would suggest not using your name in posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The best thing about cycling is that you can go as far and as fast as you want and if you see something you like, you can just stop and investigate.

Be curious, go to the next town get a coffee and cake and ride home again. See what the next village over looks like or tackle a local hill as a challenge. Use the bike instead of the car and your distance will mount up.

There's a website: cycle.travel You can use it to plan routes. Or www.ridewithgps.com will let you design a route and add it to a GPS unit.

If you want the company of other cyclists https://www.axacommunitybikerides.com/ might be good if they're in your area. The rides are suitable for absolute beginners upwards.

You can cycle in ordinary clothes but don't reject the idea of padded shorts, your arse will thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the best things about having a smartphone on a cycle is the availability of google maps. mainly because when you get to a junction, it can help with the 'does going right look more interesting than going left' decision.

but as you mention, you like the data aspect too. a cheap cycle computer will give you distance and speed info, but not in a structured way, whereas using GPS on a smartphone will allow you to map where you've been and give you clues about where to go next time.

FWIW, i have a GPS unit that i can plan rides out on beforehand and use as a satnav, but i've never used that functionality. on my lesiure cycles i usually just head out and finesse where i go along the way using google maps to point me away from home if i've plenty of time, or back towards home if i am short on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

The thing I love most about cycling is, you can stop half way through, eat a breakfast roll, have a coffee and get back on your bike and head off.

I train kickboxing also and there is no way I could stop halfway through for a breakfast roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

one of the best things about having a smartphone on a cycle is the availability of google maps. mainly because when you get to a junction, it can help with the 'does going right look more interesting than going left' decision.

but as you mention, you like the data aspect too. a cheap cycle computer will give you distance and speed info, but not in a structured way, whereas using GPS on a smartphone will allow you to map where you've been and give you clues about where to go next time.

FWIW, i have a GPS unit that i can plan rides out on beforehand and use as a satnav, but i've never used that functionality. on my lesiure cycles i usually just head out and finesse where i go along the way using google maps to point me away from home if i've plenty of time, or back towards home if i am short on time.

You're NCD right?

Few spots in Wicklow where taking the wrong turn can make a fairly drastic change to the profile of your ride home. Preloading routes on the wahoo can be fierce useful especially during covid going out solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I’ve been cycling years without a fancy bike computer, I just keep Strava on my phone in my back pocket. I’ve had a lidl or cheap catseye bike computer on the bars sometimes too, but that doesn’t give you online stats if that is what you are looking for.

If you don’t already have a reliable smart phone or watch - a cheap garmin computer, as another user posted, would be the best way of getting all the stats you want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ED E wrote: »
    You're NCD right?
    more than 95% of the time, yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

A few basics are.

Have a saddle bag with 2x tubes and tyre levers.
    Learn how to swap inner tubes in case you get a puncture, fix the bust one at home. Also have a pump that fits the valve type you have on your inner tubes.

Pay attention to the wind direction, I find cycling into the wind on the "out" bit of the loop generally means being pushed on the way back which is nice.

Have a look at cross chaining on google and try not to do it so keep your drive chain in better condition for longer.

Carry 20 quid or so with you as a just in case.

Those cheap cycle computers are grand for recording speed and distance, plus the total distance you have done over multiple trips.

Gps means you can record you route which is a nice feature but not essential.

Enjoy, I love cycling - I'm always stunned at how far you can go with relatively little effort or time.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I put the sportractive Sport app in today free on Google store. Seems decent enough. It can run in the background while you have maps showing your route.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

I use a Fitbit Charge 4.

It’s excellent, it monitors your speed, distance, heart rate and calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

You're doing it right first time; just go out and cycle where you want, for as long as you want.

Stop when you want for a coffee/breakfast roll/sneaky pint...whatever appeals!

Enjoy it.

All good advice in the above posts.

If the thoughts of lycra cycling shorts don't appeal, there are plenty of under shorts with padding on the market that you can just wear under everyday trousers/shorts - well worth considering.

I have no other advice to offer except wishing you the best of luck with your new found enjoyment of cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys a complete beginner. Getting into cycling for fitness reasons with a view to maybe joining a clubs down the line. Ive picked out this bike https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8.6-road-bike-528775.html
    Now I haven't a clue and have chosen this bike because I liked the look of it in the shop and its within my budget. Is this bike ok for a beginner? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rolling boh

seems like a good buy and you should get plenty of cycling on it and will give you a good idea if you want to get into cycling in a serious way .Even if you do not bother with a club in the future you can get plenty fit on a cheaper bike its not necessary to spend big .

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

I would suggest not using your name in posts.

Can I ask why ?

Advertisement