Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lamb creep feeder problem

• 19-06-2020 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Bought an 8 ft double sided creep feeder this spring.Feeding 90 lambs on it.The problem with it though is I caught some of the sheep eating from it.If I adjust it a little then the stronger lambs cant get eating from it
    Some of the stronger lambs have heads as big as some of the smaller sheep!
    Is this a common problem with this type of feeder?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Bought an 8 ft double sided creep feeder this spring.Feeding 90 lambs on it.The problem with it though is I caught some of the sheep eating from it.If I adjust it a little then the stronger lambs cant get eating from it
    Some of the stronger lambs have heads as big as some of the smaller sheep!
    Is this a common problem with this type of feeder?

Sounds like you need them weaned. When were they born

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

razor8 wrote: »
    Sounds like you need them weaned. When were they born

I'm weighing them this eve.they were 37/38 kgs 10 days ago but butcher wants them around 45kg.Lambed from mid march onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm weighing them this eve.they were 37/38 kgs 10 days ago but butcher wants them around 45kg.Lambed from mid march onwards.

Yea, wean them. weaned ewes are ideal for cleaning off stemmy paddocks this time of year.

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, wean them. weaned ewes are ideal for cleaning off stemmy paddocks this time of year.

They were all between 42 and 46kg so heading off tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cyclist101

They were all between 42 and 46kg so heading off tonight.

They are super weights for lambs born from mid March on (if I've read your post correctly). What's your secret? Are you feeding creep, forward creep grazing, set stocked, using a super mineral drench etc etc

• Advertisement

Cyclist101 wrote: »
    They are super weights for lambs born from mid March on (if I've read your post correctly). What's your secret? Are you feeding creep, forward creep grazing, set stocked, using a super mineral drench etc etc

They are mainly texels off suffolk/charolais cross sheep.A few have zwartable cross too and they have excellent lambs off a texel ram.They all got a tramazole 2 1/2 dose at beginning of may and 10 to 15mls of growvite lamb.Rotated between 3 fields that were receeded about 6 years ago.Fields got no fertiliser only from their own manure. It was always leafy grass but they have been more or less adlib meal since mid April also.
    I made the mistake of weaning them sunday eve after weighing .butcher said he couldnt take them til this eve.i ran them through the scales and they had lost ave 2 kgs each. My mistake.This year is exceptional tho as our sheep lambed a month earlier last year and lambs were only hitting those weights in June last year.

Advertisement