Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leo and his working of movie lines into his speeches

• 20-06-2020 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The (for now) leader of Ireland ladies and gentlemen

He has to be doing this for a bet with mates and close work colleagues right?

Is this one still to come?

thoughts on Leo and his working of movie lines into his speeches? 263 votes

Bit of craic. It's grand
    65% 171 votes
    It's embarrassing, make it stop
    34% 92 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I don't really care. Harmless more than anything else. Kind of cringey but can't see how people are getting so worked up over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I don't really care. Harmless more than anything else. Kind of cringey but can't see how people are getting so worked up over it

1700 mortalities, all of our trump cards as an island lost, a complete and utter balls made of nursing homes

And he's having a laugh during speeches? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

If one of my closest loved ones had passed away from Covid, I wouldn't be finding much comfort in seeing the leader of our country throwing in some movie quotes to his speeches to boost his image. He's pathetic. Real leaders could settle people's nerves with words of their own making. This lad is trying to be cool and get his speeches go viral. I've never once felt like he he genuinely cared about the people of this country. Leo cares about Leo.

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    This lad is trying to be cool and get his speeches go viral. I've never once felt like he he genuinely cared about the people of this country. Leo cares about Leo.

I was a fan of his at the start of this, but starting to think the above more and more

Probably rather see him not making light of the whole thing yet. A fair few people are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Harmless if it was done once for a gag....but
    The fact that its repeated, it's so obvious that it's a spin-doctor designed publicity stunt.
    The only aim of it is to boost his "hits" on social media - nothing else.
    It's pure cynical politicking for the millennial generation.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Harmless if it was done once for a gag....but
    The fact that its repeated, it's so obvious that it's a spin-doctor designed publicity stunt.
    The only aim of it is to boost his "hits" on social media - nothing else.
    It's pure cynical politicking for the millennial generation.

Nailed it

His PR team looking for that elusive mention on an American TV "Late Night with Jimmy Kimmel" type show I think

It's the kind of thing the producers of these shows absolutely lap up
    "Ireland's Prime Minister has been working famous film quotes ..... into his speeches

Have a look .... "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If he did this during some throwaway speech it'd be fine, bit of a laugh etc. But considering there have been 1700 unnecessary deaths in this country he should cop the fúck on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Not funny and in sh!t taste. God forbid he say something useful or original instead of sloppily thrown-together rehashed bilge. What a waster.

NDWC wrote: »
    If he did this during some throwaway speech it'd be fine, bit of a laugh etc. But considering there have been 1700 unnecessary deaths in this country he should cop the fúck on

He should

Boards is, unfortunately, not a medium where complaints about him doing this will matter a single bit to him

Now Twtter though: If a #ShutUpLeo or similar hashtag trended

That is something he'd have to listen to

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    He should

Boards is, unfortunately, not a medium where complaints about him doing this will matter a single bit to him

Now Twtter though: If a #ShutUpLeo or similar hashtag trended

That is something he'd have to listen to

#notmytaoiseach already exists, go mad with it any time he's in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

It’s pathetic. So many people have died, hundreds of thousands lost jobs, businesses closing, we’re facing a recession with pay cuts and raised taxes and Leo is having a laugh with his “in crowd” pals by putting quotes into his speeches.

****in eejitry.

s1ippy wrote: »
    #notmytaoiseach already exists, go mad with it any time he's in the media.

Needs to be more specific to his movie quoting I think

Irish journalists don't give a hoot about ideas from Boards for material (some of them kinda did in the 2000s), but Twitter is different

They live on Twitter and would pick up on a hashtag specific to his cheesy movie silliness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,444 ✭✭✭✭road_high

He’s PR’d to death at this stage with the result to me he’s (a FG voter) just a scripted cliche. He doesn’t seem capable of just fcukin talking to people like a normal person would, offering words of genuine hope and empathic comfort.
    Very disappointing Taoiseach overall. He’s typical sanitised virtue signaller material for the likes of the Un or other global bodies. They all think he’s wonderful because he’s cut for the same PC cloth

Wow this thread is not what I expected. Very refreshing. These posters are probably not his cohort of loyal supporters "who get up early in the morning". And remember, "welfare cheats cheat us all". He's well able to create memorable quotes, just of a certain... bourgeois... variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

The lack of decorum Leo Varadkar is showing by putting ridiculous movie quotes into addresses to the nation as taoiseach, during a pandemic. Words fail me.

1700 or so mortalities, countless people ill, hundreds of thousands of jobs lost or struggling to come back, businesses galore down the drain, millions locked away from family and friends for months, and he thinks this is the time for sh*ts and giggles. That it is hilarious to sneak in a few movie quotes because his PR team think it will trend in the hashtag world.

There really aren't enough words to speak of how low this is. Taoiseach and a doctor, the lack of decorum is a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The (for now) leader of Ireland ladies and gentlemen

Very well made video. This should go straight to twitter. Folk have to be called out.

Leo, of Indian extract, says the civil service is "too white"
    Sure it is, Leo

We are allowing enclaves to be built. One muslim who asked that muslims march and protest Isis atrocities abroad a few years back got his head kicked in .. in Clonskeagh mosque in Dublin ..

I'm good with giving folk shelter but, guaranteed, they or their 2nd / 3rd generation offspring will want a say in running the place Their way .. and, at the risk of being called a racist, you'll have to bow (kneel ?) to their demands

The trojan horse is already here ..

Ah what. How is that relevant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

s1ippy wrote: »
    Ah what. How is that relevant?

You're right. It isn't. Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

But what about the homeless?

john123470 wrote: »

You're right. It isn't. Sorry
    !

Fair dues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Ye have precious little to be worrying about that's for sure.

Hardly the smartest thing to be doing but put it into a little bit of context: it was during a speech on accelerating the opening of the country where he quoted a rather bland and inoffensive quote from a rather bland and inoffensive movie. After seemingly quoting two other movies in the two other speeches he made about accelerating the opening of the country. After he was dared to by an actor for a bit of a laugh.

But sure get the guillotine ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

At the risk of being pounced on here, I actually like his use of movie references. They're apt and used under similar circumstances in the movies he's quoting, but then the likes of LOTR has always been a source of comfort to me. It seems a very minor thing for people to be getting so offended by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

At the risk of being pounced on here, I actually like his use of movie references. They're apt and used under similar circumstances in the movies he's quoting, but then the likes of LOTR has always been a source of comfort to me. It seems a very minor thing for people to be getting so offended by.
    I loved the bit in Mean Girls where Lindsay Lohan's little dance made everyone forget about the hundreds of people who had died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ficheall wrote:
    I loved the bit in Mean Girls where Lindsay Lohan's little dance made everyone forget about the hundreds of people who had died.

That particular quote was tacky, but it's a massive stretch to consider it offensive. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Varadkar. His effective PR policy of distract downward has caused the likes of me a lot of vitriol, especially on here. However, using the deaths of hundreds as an excuse to be angry at his use of movie quotes is every bit, if not more so, ridiculous than his use of a Mean Girls quote on a dare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭fits

Head of state must show absolutely zero sense of humour ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Don’t have a issue with it.

I’m not a movie buff so wouldn’t recognise movie quotes within his speeches.

I don’t think a majority of the adult community in Ireland would recognise it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Probably because he’s supposed to be running the country and this behaviour would be more fitting of someone on their first job in McDonald’s. Totally disrespectful and condescending to the Irish people whom he clearly holds in very low regard.

Advertisement