Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo and his working of movie lines into his speeches

Options

Comments

fits wrote: »
    Head of state must show absolutely zero sense of humour ever.

When you’re talking about a situation we’ve been in then exactly, he shouldn’t.

But I’m sure someone who had to watch a parent die through a window and attend an empty funeral found it hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I love it , I'm surprised there hasn't been more froth all the same. Even my friends that despise him haven't said anything about it, yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Has anyone checked the timeline of his speeches to check if that wasnt just a video spliced together to make it look like he used that Mean Girls quote as a dare?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭rodders999

I don't really care. Harmless more than anything else. Kind of cringey but can't see how people are getting so worked up over it

You know this is the internet right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

A child in school would not be let away with plagiarism from the internet. Copy and paste

That's basically what he is doing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I’m surprised so many people here remembers quotes from a 2004 girls teen movie. I never heard of it until I googled it.

I guess isolation has driven many here to watch anything to keep them occupied during lockdown.

I’m surprised so many people here remembers quotes from a 2004 girls teen movie. I never heard of it until I googled it.

I guess isolation has driven many here to watch anything to keep them occupied during lockdown.

I doubt anyone does, but they can read a headline.

Laughable deflection.

I doubt anyone does, but they can read a headline.

Laughable deflection.

So people are triggered over a headline?

So people are triggered over a headline?

That’s even more laughable deflection. Cut out the routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

ronivek wrote: »
    Ye have precious little to be worrying about that's for sure.

Hardly the smartest thing to be doing but put it into a little bit of context: it was during a speech on accelerating the opening of the country where he quoted a rather bland and inoffensive quote from a rather bland and inoffensive movie. After seemingly quoting two other movies in the two other speeches he made about accelerating the opening of the country. After he was dared to by an actor for a bit of a laugh.

But sure get the guillotine ready.

Actually many have plenty to be worrying about having lost their jobs and relatives in nursing homes due to this pandemic.
    You might forgive them for expecting a little respect from someone who is supposed to be leading the country not auditioning for a boy band.
    He is consistent though I’ll give him that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

A child in school would not be let away with plagiarism from the internet. Copy and paste

That's basically what he is doing

I wish he would move to Hollywood as he fit right in there.
    He did complete U-turn on lock-down yesterday.
    All of EU were lifting restrictions a few weeks ago and we going opposite direction.
    Nest to go will be 2 week quarantine for travelers i be thinking...

LEADER???

That’s even more laughable deflection. Cut out the routine.

Sounds like Leo grinds your gears lol

Sounds like Leo grinds your gears lol

Must be time for your Nesquik. I didn’t think there was any more barrel to be scraped but you’ve just managed it there.

Maybe you will get the thanks you were chasing for your original post and you can go outside for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

There is a time and a place for humour and light heartedness and addressing the nation about a pandemic where hundreds have died and thousands have been left unemployed is certainly not it.

I didnt particularly mind the previous ones but the fact that this is done on the back of a "dare" makes it worse somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

I think he sounds very Bart's People...Joe and his ducks

Fair play to anyone,who still watches these

Ive a fair enough level of interest in current affairs,but have long since tuned out on these

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I read somewhere that he was dared to find a Mean Girls quote to use in a speech. Not sure how true that is. I hope it’s not true. I lost two family members to COVID and missed a friends funeral because of restrictions, I would expect the leader of the country to have a bit more consideration for those who died and lost jobs that use a national address as a public game of dare.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I read somewhere that he was dared to find a Mean Girls quote to use in a speech. Not sure how true that is. I hope it’s not true. I lost two family members to COVID and missed a friends funeral because of restrictions, I would expect the leader of the country to have a bit more consideration for those who died and lost jobs that use a national address as a public game of dare.
    Lord Of The Rings and The Goonies star Sean Astin, who played Samwise Gamgee in the Middle-earth trilogy, bet the Irish leader "50 quid" to quote Mean Girls in his next speech. The wager came in response to Mr Varadkar drawing upon a poignant Samwise quote during an earlier coronavirus briefing...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-taioseach-leo-varadkar-quotes-mean-girls-during-covid-19-briefing-12010663

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭fits

He did an interview on 2fm a few weeks ago with Eoghan McDermott and Doireann Garrihy. They got the character who plays samwise in LOTR on to talk about Leo quoting the film. And he dared him to get mean girls in. Probably instigated by eoghan. Leo said he’d never watched mean girls and didn’t know anything about it and brushed it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I liked the movie quotes, they seemed relatively appropriate. But shoehorning in an quote to win a bet instigated by some radio arsehole doesn't sit right with me.

Also, here's a relevant Tumblr: https://meangirlsofleinsterhouse.tumblr.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Who cares? People will knock him no matter what he does.

Must be time for your Nesquik. I didn’t think there was any more barrel to be scraped but you’ve just managed it there.

Maybe you will get the thanks you were chasing for your original post and you can go outside for the day.

No. I will research more of Leo’s past speeches.

The priority for this country now is dissect word for word what Leo is saying to see if we can find movie quotes.

SHAME ON HIM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I much prefer to have a touch of humour to tick the box speeches tbh, who even listens to them any more. Bit of humour in dark times is about as irish as you can get. The people who hate him will obviously hate it but you could say that about absolutely anything he does. Cans in the park? OMG HOW COULD HE etc

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I much prefer to have a touch of humour to tick the box speeches tbh, who even listens to them any more. Bit of humour in dark times is about as irish as you can get. The people who hate him will obviously hate it but you could say that about absolutely anything he does. Cans in the park? OMG HOW COULD HE etc

517120.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭valoren

The deaths were expected, no country was immune, best practice measures were adopted and taken seriously (eventually) to deal with the situation. Fewer people died as a result of a cohesive response.

I'd overlook the leader of a country including pop culture references in public addresses over a more nefarious and dangerous approach from a leader per Brazil and the US and then doing the same thing.

No more cringeworthy than Reagan quoting Back to the Future or saying "The force is with us" when speaking about Nuclear deterrents and **** stirring with the Soviets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I can't believe there's actually a poll on this.
    I can't believe there's actually a thread on this.
    I can't believe anyone actually gives a ****e.
    It's a bit of a laugh is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Fair play to him and his team to manage to add a bit of humour to his speech’s

The faux outrage crew as usual are out....

I can't believe there's actually a poll on this.
    I can't believe there's actually a thread on this.
    I can't believe anyone actually gives a ****e.
    It's a bit of a laugh is it not?

People have so f**king little going on in their lives they need something to get upset about

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It’s not the quote - quotes can sometimes be very appropriate

Last nights speech was very important to a lot of people desperate to find out when they can get back to work and start earning, people wanting to know when they can get their lives started again, visit loved ones etc.

The biggest crisis this country has ever faced, nearly 2000 dead and he’s using the address to the nation as a way to win a bet.

• Advertisement

It’s not the quote - quotes can sometimes be very appropriate

Last nights speech was very important to a lot of people desperate to find out when they can get back to work and start earning, people wanting to know when they can get their lives started again, visit loved ones etc.

The biggest crisis this country has ever faced, nearly 2000 dead and he’s using the address to the nation as a way to win a bet.

“Won’t somebody please think of the children “

Helen Lovejoy is in the house :-)

Advertisement