Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo and his working of movie lines into his speeches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

road_high wrote: »
    He’s aloof and removed from all that. Had a life relative privilege compared to most of us.
    Will never have to worry about boating staff or how to pay the next rates bill. The ordinary person isn’t his scene hence all the forced choreography like him going back to the medical frontline- the more he tries the more fake it looks

Agreed.

It brings to mind the unfortunate comments regarding his mental health which caused a bit of a stir during the election. And which were then brushed under the carpet as quickly as the spin doctors could get away with it.

I get the sense there’s a fair bit of distance between him and reality as experienced by the vast majority of Irish ppl.

As you say - the comfortable life of privilege has had an effect but there’s something more to it than just that.

This “gas craic” of shoehorning movie quotes into speeches during such a sombre and critical time is the latest example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

eviltwin wrote: »
    I read somewhere that he was dared to find a Mean Girls quote to use in a speech. Not sure how true that is. I hope it’s not true. I lost two family members to COVID and missed a friends funeral because of restrictions, I would expect the leader of the country to have a bit more consideration for those who died and lost jobs that use a national address as a public game of dare.

I don't think he is quoting films. He is just using cliche expressions in his speeches. They were not original and cliche in films, the same as they are in his speeches. Such expressions were used for ages.

There is no limits... c'mon I heard it many times and never watched Mean Girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

JoChervil wrote: »
    I don't think he is quoting films. He is just using cliche expressions in his speeches. They were not original and cliche in films, the same as they are in his speeches. Such expressions were used for ages.

At first I thought it was a bit cringe but in light of the Sean Astin bet I thought it was quite amusing, gave me a laugh anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If he quoted Joyce, Beckett or Yates would everyone being getting their knickers in a twist

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I know it’s quite hard to believe but yes it was a dare to include a line from mean girls :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Personally I find it a good measure of varadkar

One of the worst crises to hit Ireland.

Huge amount of death and worry.

People have gone through hell and back.

Country shut down. Economy frozen.

And he thinks it’s a good time to play stupid games awkwardly shoehorning movie quotes into his speeches.

All for attention on social media.

It says a lot about him.

Sums him up perfectly.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The (for now) leader of Ireland ladies and gentlemen

He has to be doing this for a bet with mates and close work colleagues right?

Is this one still to come?

I find it really disturbing that people attribute inappropriately trivial/cheap motives to another person's actions or speeches. It says much more about a person attributing it...

I hope I will never get this cynical...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

All the people who "get up early in the morning" woke up and ruined the poll.

Edit:
    I read somewhere that he was dared to find a Mean Girls quote to use in a speech. Not sure how true that is. I hope it’s not true. I lost two family members to COVID and missed a friends funeral because of restrictions, I would expect the leader of the country to have a bit more consideration for those who died and lost jobs that use a national address as a public game of dare.
    https://twitter.com/DoireannGarrihy/status/1274059254744387591?s=19

Edited because posters below are still questioning this: just to show that this is Sam from LOTR (who he quoted last time) daring him €50 to put Mean Girls in his speech.

And he does it, because it's funny to regurgitate inane lines from low-brow films to appease the masses and get likes. This is at a time when we want strength, support and somebody who actually gives a sh!t what we're all going through. But there's a 404 when you search that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

As I said before it’s not the use of a quote. Lines from songs or films can be apt at a time like this. Its the immaturity of using a speech about something so serious to win a bet. I expect more sensitivity from the leader of the country given how much people have lost.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If he quoted Joyce, Beckett or Yates would everyone being getting their knickers in a twist

These people who attribute such trivial motives would have to know these authors first. Unfortunately they are "Mean Girls" level...

• Advertisement

As I said before it’s not the use of a quote. Lines from songs or films can be apt at a time like this. Its the immaturity of using a speech about something so serious to win a bet. I expect more sensitivity from the leader of the country given how much people have lost.

How do you know that we was trying to win anything? Because you were manipulated to believe so?

Agreed.

It brings to mind the unfortunate comments regarding his mental health which caused a bit of a stir during the election. And which were then brushed under the carpet as quickly as the spin doctors could get away with it.

I get the sense there’s a fair bit of distance between him and reality as experienced by the vast majority of Irish ppl.

As you say - the comfortable life of privilege has had an effect but there’s something more to it than just that.

This “gas craic” of shoehorning movie quotes into speeches during such a sombre and critical time is the latest example.

Yes, agreed. It's like that lecturer we've all had making jokes/references that lag the zeitgeist by about two years. Just be a lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Leo is an imbicile. an accidential Taoiseach.

His speeches are written for him as he has absolutely no debating skills and cannot reply off the cuff.

His speech writers were either trying to have him sound like a great leader and hope nobody noticed or are taking teh píss out of the Irish people (personally I think it's both).

We are about the be taxed into oblivion because this fool does not have an original thought on anything.

That said, we all know it's the top civil servants who are running this country - politicians come and go, governments come and go, top civil servants have been there and will be there for life - the true puppet masters

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Great speech Taoiseach, that'll trend well with the Insta and Twitter generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How do you know that we was trying to win anything? Because you were manipulated to believe so?

Hasn't it already been shown that he was dared to put a quote from this film into his speech or is it's inclusion pure coincidence

I mean comedians often use certain mishaps and add questions AFTER something happened to make a joke, when putting it together in a proper chronological order. Are you sure he was challenged by Sean Austin BEFORE his speech?

BTW I am not a Leo's fan, only I agree with you that situation is very sensitive to make jokes. And I blame a comedian and his followers, not Leo...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He should quote Father Ted next. 'Are those my feet?' 'No Leo, they're Michaels feet.' 'Feck'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Acosta

s1ippy wrote: »

Mission completed as far as Varadkar's spin department is concerned.

Acosta wrote: »
    Mission completed as far as Varadkar's spin department is concerned.

Or Sean Austin's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I read somewhere that he was dared to find a Mean Girls quote to use in a speech

He was. By actor Sean Astin. Watch all of the first vid in my OP, it's short enough

"Leo Varadkar wins bet with Lord of the Rings star Sean Astin after including Mean Girls quote in latest speech"

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/leo-varadkar-wins-bet-lord-18456001

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/the-limit-does-not-existleo-varadkar-wins-bet-with-mean-girls-quote-1006382.html

Us being pissed off about it means zero on Boards except for us. If you want to maybe see him get a backlash against it, take it to Twitter and tag journalists in your posts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Or Sean Austin's

I doubt very much that Sean Astin needs the media spin from a bet with the Taoiseach of Ireland.

He was. By actor Sean Astin. Watch all of the first vid in my OP, it's short enough

"Leo Varadkar wins bet with Lord of the Rings star Sean Astin after including Mean Girls quote in latest speech"

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/leo-varadkar-wins-bet-lord-18456001

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/the-limit-does-not-existleo-varadkar-wins-bet-with-mean-girls-quote-1006382.html

Us being pissed off about it means zero on Boards except for us. If you want to maybe see him get a backlash against it, take it to Twitter and tag journalists in your posts

So could you give me a time and date of this "challenge"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

So could you give me a time and date of this "challenge"?

Here's an absolutely mental idea, but stay with me:

Read the articles and Google "Sean Astin Leo Varadkar"

Here's an absolutely mental idea, but stay with me:

Read the articles and Google "Sean Astin Leo Varadkar"

I am not going to read articles repeating each other rubbish. As I see you can't give this answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't mind the use of quotes when he says he is quoting something, like the LOTR one.

But shoehorning a quote into an answer diminishes the answer. It is disrespectful to the public.

Every answer to a serious question should be his words only. Use of a quote to reinforce a point, is different and perfectly acceptable. But acknowledge it is a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm sure the families of the 1700 dead citizens find it hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

1700 people dead and the scandal of all the deaths in nursing homes.
    And this fella taking bets about including Mean Girls tweets in his speeches.

Pathetic.
    Cringy.
    Deeply out of touch.
    What a ****head.

Edit: he's doing little to dispel the previous stuff about him having little empathy and being disconnected from people with this.

I doubt very much that Sean Astin needs the media spin from a bet with the Taoiseach of Ireland.

But 2fm does...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

So people are triggered over a headline?

Looks like the 'Leo's playing a blinder' brigade have their knickers in a twist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Pathetic.
    Cringy.
    Deeply out of touch.
    What a ****head.

Edit: he's doing little to dispel the previous stuff about him having little empathy and being disconnected from people with this.

Most people seem happy with it, so why is that out if touch? If anything its the opposite from what I can see.

Advertisement