Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo and his working of movie lines into his speeches

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Blinder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Personally I think it’s great...

After all the doom and gloom we are finally coming out the other end and it’s time for some humour

But people love to moan, complain....so let them off....

Sure if they had nothing to complain about what would they do all day....that’s what my granny used to say and she is 100% right

Unfortunately a lot of people's Granny's aren't around because Leo and company dropped the ball on nursing homes and around 60% of our fatalities came as a result. But sure isn't he great craic quoting films altogether. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Most people seem happy with it, so why is that out if touch? If anything its the opposite from what I can see.

Most people happy with it?
    He's in touch with most out of touch people on twitter if that's what you mean.

He's not in touch with the reality of families losing loved ones in a horrible way, not even being able to have a decent funeral (while protests rage in the street, mind you) people losing jobs, people genuinely worried about a second wave and what that means for their future.

I used to have a bit of time for him but the guy is a closed off dope more in tune with what's cool with Twitter than the reality of life in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

I’m kinda in two minds myself. I think some of the reaction- at least on social media- is maybe people who don’t like him anyway, and who do tend to criticise mostly anything he does. He tends to get a fierce hard time from some any time he opens his mouth. But then, I don’t think that’s all of it. I think some of it is simply people who feel like it wasn’t the time- and that’s a perfectly reasonable view that anyone has a right to have. But I do think it’s a bit unfair to say one line in a speech (a line that fit fine anyway. I had to point it out as a quote to someone who was watching with me who hadn’t seen the movie. It didn’t stand out as not fitting in, it worked just fine as a line on its own if you didn’t know the reference.) means it was all a joke to him or he doesn’t take this seriously enough. It’s clear nothing about this is great craic, to anyone. He has taken it seriously from early on, to the point where some of the giving out about him used to be that his speeches were too dark, too gloomy, that there wasn’t enough positivity in there. One quote in a speech does not invalidate months of handling this seriously. It doesn’t mean there’s no respect there for what people have gone through. He’s acknowledged what people have been going through every time we’ve gotten a speech or interview for months, and personally I think a toll has been showing on him too, he’s looked wrecked for a while now.

As to yesterday, it was one line, one moment of lightness in a speech that was otherwise pretty serious. I said this in another post on another thread, but like, the one dumb Mean Girls line is getting all the attention, but the speech yesterday wasn’t him cracking any jokes at all. He spent most of it repeating how serious a situation covid still is, urging people still to take care and take it seriously. As he has in every speech he’s given for months. He spent far more time yesterday acknowledging people’s hard word and sacrifices over the past months, the loss people have experienced and the way our world has been turned upside down, than he did on one moment of humour. I don’t love that the quote was chosen in response to a challenge to quote from that particular movie, and I think his line about taking forward what we’ve lost, learned and gained, which was actually good, would have landed more powerfully if the Mean Girls quote wasn’t sucking up all the attention. In that respect he might have done himself a disservice- people aren’t quoting you if they’re busy talking about who you’re quoting! But eh, the way he’s been going we were going to get a quote from somewhere, so ok, it ended up being that one. It was a touch of humour that gave a moment of lightheartedness at a time when we’re finally able to be in a more optimistic place, thanks to months of hard work on the country’s part. It’s not the most terrible thing to have that light-hearted moment in there, when the rest of the speech was sincere and serious.

Most people happy with it?
    He's in touch with most out of touch people on twitter if that's what you mean.

He's not in touch with the reality of families losing loved ones in a horrible way, not even being able to have a decent funeral (while protests rage in the street, mind you) people losing jobs, people genuinely worried about a second wave and what that means for their future.

I used to have a bit of time for him but the guy is a closed off dope more in tune with what's cool with Twitter than the reality of life in Ireland.

Yeah but doireann garrihy thought it was totes hilarious. A true voice of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭valoren

If the media hadn't made a deal out of him purloioning apt movie quotes, something politicians do (eg Johnson spoofing Love Actually) during the speeches then Sean Astin wouldn't hear about it, wouldn't tweet about it making bets and Leo wouldn't be taking the bet bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Acosta

JoChervil wrote: »
    But 2fm does...

It's the type of person that is generally impressed by 2fm personalities that they're trying to appeal to here. It's almost like he's saying there'll be none of this craic when Micheál Martin becomes head of government so vote for us next time for another episode of Love Actually.

Pure harmless. I think it's funny, and I actually like him a lot better for it.

A bit of a giggle then throwing in movie quotes for a fifty quid wager and hits on social media. Meanwhile there have been 1700 fatalities under his watch. You are seriously deluded if that's how you appraise his leadership.

A bit of a giggle then throwing in movie quotes for a fifty quid wager and hits on social media. Meanwhile there have been 1700 fatalities under his watch. You are seriously deluded if that's how you appraise his leadership.

If Trump or Johnson did it the same lads here downplaying it would be on a jihad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

jd1983 wrote: »
    Are you need a machine learning Bot that's malfunctioning by any chance? As that response doesn't make the least bit of sense.

Oh the irony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭This is it

I voted FG, I support Leo as Taoiseach, I think they've done a relatively good job with regards to the pandemic, but... I'm not sure if shoehorning movie quotes into a speech on the pandemic, for a bet, is appropriate.

This is it wrote: »
    I voted FG, I support Leo as Taoiseach, I think they've done a relatively good job with regards to the pandemic, but... I'm not sure if shoehorning movie quotes into a speech on the pandemic, for a bet, is appropriate.

Yesterday was supposed to be upbeat

Some people just love to be miserable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Some of the uk talboids are running it as a headline item:
    https://www.express.co.uk/ (as of Sun 20th June).

A 50note bet? Hardly worth the effort:
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1298688/leo-varadkar-mean-girls-quote-coronavirus-update-speech-sean-astin-lord-of-the-rings

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some of the uk talboids are running it as a headline item:
    https://www.express.co.uk/ (as of Sun 20th June).

A 50note bet? Hardly worth the effort:
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1298688/leo-varadkar-mean-girls-quote-coronavirus-update-speech-sean-astin-lord-of-the-rings

The Express, a quality publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Some people can’t help being miserable. Losing a job or grieving a loved one tends to do that....

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Acosta wrote: »
    Mission completed as far as Varadkar's spin department is concerned.

Now we just have to wait for the staged PR photo with Seán Austin in a socially distanced pub in two weeks time and it will be mission completed for aul Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Now we just have to wait for the staged PR photo with Seán Austin in a socially distanced pub in two weeks time and it will be mission completed for aul Leo.

Can just imagine it now, “oh mr Leo thank you” in his Samwise Gamgee voice - truly cringeworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Acosta

I can believe that clowns like Eoghan McDermott actually believes Leo does this in the name of good fun when it's something that's been carefully considered and mulled over by speech writers and spin doctors over several meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Acosta wrote: »
    I can believe that clowns like Eoghan McDermott actually believes Leo does this in the name of good fun when it's something that's been carefully considered and mulled over by speech writers and spin doctors over several meetings.

Mcdermot is a mirror image of Leo. Completely same purer than thou values and nauseating neutral sterility.

I'm not sure what miserable has to do with anything. I think some will criticise Leo, and FG in general, no matter what they do, but in this case I believe the criticism is warranted. Though not to the extent of some of the posts here.

It doesn't affect me one way or another, but had I lost a relative or someone close to me due to C19 I'd not be impressed with jokes and bets being made around a global pandemic that has killed thousands worldwide and 1700 or so in our country by the leader of our country. It's far too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Sure it was fine all along when it was lord if the rings but don't you dare quote mean girls lols

Its actually a decent movie tbf you should give it a chance

I'm not sure what miserable has to do with anything. I think some will criticise Leo, and FG in general, no matter what they do, but in this case I believe the criticism is warranted. Though not to the extent of some of the posts here.

It doesn't affect me one way or another, but had I lost a relative or someone close to me due to C19 I'd not be impressed with jokes and bets being made around a global pandemic that has killed thousands worldwide and 1700 or so in our country by the leader of our country. It's far too soon.

If I lost someone in Covid I wouldnt give a flying f**k what Leo said to be honest

Covid was not the fault of the Irish government, even if you think pointing the finger at them about the nursing homes. Not sure who you think you can blame for a virus like that....maybe Trump is right and its CCChhhhiiiinnnnnaaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

This thread just shows how sensitive people are these days...getting outraged cause a quote from a book, in the case of LOTR, is used in a speech. I thought it fit very well and Tolkien could be considered a literary great.

People saying but people died its not right, Im sure at alot of those funerals similar quotes from movies or songs were used in peoples speeches but hey lets all try be cool and act outraged for the sake of it

Ninthlife wrote: »
    This thread just shows how sensitive people are these days...getting outraged cause a quote from a book, in the case of LOTR, is used in a speech. I thought it fit very well and Tolkien could be considered a literary great.

People saying but people died its not right, Im sure at alot of those funerals similar quotes from movies or songs were used in peoples speeches but hey lets all try be cool and act outraged for the sake of it

In this case it was a bet made on a radio show to shoehorn a quote from a teen comedy, Mean Girls, in to a national speech, not some inspiring quote from a literary genius.

If I lost someone in Covid I wouldnt give a flying f**k what Leo said to be honest

Covid was not the fault of the Irish government, even if you think pointing the finger at them about the nursing homes. Not sure who you think you can blame for a virus like that....maybe Trump is right and its CCChhhhiiiinnnnnaaaaaa

As is your prerogative, people will obviously feel differently on it.

I don't believe Covid was the fault of the Irish government... You seem to be taking part in an imaginary argument regarding things I haven't said. Fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

In this case it was a bet made on a radio show to shoehorn a quote from a teen comedy, Mean Girls, in to a national speech, not some inspiring quote from a literary genius.

In a speech that was delivering good news after months of bad news. I really dont care if he quotes Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as long as the decisions he is making are in the best interest of the country.

Also dont forget The Queen quoted the title of a song from WWII and was hailed as being 'in touch with the people'

Id like to see a quote from a Tarantino movie in the next one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Ninthlife wrote: »
    In a speech that was delivering good news after months of bad news. I really dont care if he quotes Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as long as the decisions he is making are in the best interest of the country.

Also dont forget The Queen quoted the title of a song from WWII and was hailed as being 'in touch with the people'

Id like to see a quote from a Tarantino movie in the next one :)

There is a difference between using a quote to reinforce a point, like the LOTR reference. That is fine.

Sneaking a quote into an answer as a sort "inside joke" is childish and silly.

I'm largely supportive of Leo but this was I'll judged. Maybe he should just let it slide and answer questions seriously.

If he is quoting something acknowledge that it is a quote.

I want his answers to be factually correct and precise if he is trying to work in a quote that may detract from his answer. For example
    "There is no limit" is a silly statement and makes no sense in the context of his answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

joe40 wrote: »
    There is a difference between using a quote to reinforce a point, like the LOTR reference. That is fine.

Sneaking a quote into an answer as a sort "inside joke" is childish and silly.

I'm largely supportive of Leo but this was I'll judged. Maybe he should just let it slide and answer questions seriously.

If he is quoting something acknowledge that it is a quote.

I want his answers to be factually correct and precise if he is trying to work in a quote that may detract from his answer. For example
    "There is no limit" is a silly statement and makes no sense in the context of his answer.

Yes there clearly is a very big fcukin limit in terms of what the economy can achieve due to shut down tourist and travel industry, major restrictions on retail and leisure. Output is still greatly constrained with added costs all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I was a fan of his at the start of this, but starting to think the above more and more

Yes think the same now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The snowflake generation has awoke.

Thanks Greta.

Advertisement