Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo and his working of movie lines into his speeches

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

buried wrote: »
    I never said anything about money man, that's you saying that. Your job shouldn't be about money, it should be about what you care about doing, so fair f**ks to her, I'm the same. But I do mine without being a global celebrity. I like my job same way she does.

Pity the last leader of our country didn't feel the same way about his job though isn't it?

How do you know, how he feels, he looks happy to me.
    If you enjoy your work and aren't getting paid for it fair play to you.
    Money is the root of all evil isn't it.
    Are you getting paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Pure harmless. I think it's funny, and I actually like him a lot better for it.

If he was making horrible decisions in all of this, and endangering lives, I'd probably have less patience for jokes. But the fact is, he's actually handled the entire crisis extremely well. Other countries could learn a lot from his actions. So I think he's entitled to the odd movie quote, if that's what he chooses to do.

Like, say, refusing tests for those most vulnerable to the disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Like, say, refusing tests for those most vulnerable to the disease?

Widespread, speedy testing is vitally important to understand how the disease is spreading throughout the country. In terms of an individual though, it won't affect the treatment they receive. If symptoms are mild you stay at home if they become serious you are admitted.

There is no point testing symptom free people.

Everyone working in nursing homes patient and staff need to behave as if the are positive, you can't assume you don't have the virus even with a negative result.

joe40 wrote: »
    Widespread, speedy testing is vitally important to understand how the disease is spreading throughout the country. In terms of an individual though, it won't affect the treatment they receive. If symptoms are mild you stay at home if they become serious you are admitted.

There is no point testing symptom free people.

Everyone working in nursing homes patient and staff need to behave as if the are positive, you can't assume you don't have the virus even with a negative result.

They REFUSED to test anyone in nursing homes. Treated them like second class citizens.

I hope I'm Taoiseach when Varadkar and Harris die. I've a cracking Samuel L Jackson quote I'd love to use.

"Yes they deserved to die, and I hope they burn in hell".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

They REFUSED to test anyone in nursing homes. Treated them like second class citizens.

I hope I'm Taoiseach when Varadkar and Harris die. I've a cracking Samuel L Jackson quote I'd love to use.

If you can't understand the context around a global lack of testing and the hard choices that have to be made during that, god help us all if you ever became Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Says more about you then it does about them.

flazio wrote: »
    Says more about you then it does about them.

It's a quote from a movie. Quotes are fun. Or is that only when over 1000 people are dead??

Jaysus easy on there, that's a bit strong.

The big issues in nursing homes was the lack of PPE and the lack of proper procedures. I don't know about the quality of medical treatment but that is down to the doctors not the politicians.

Mistakes were definitely made, but testing alone won't save lives.
    The UK didn't even count nursing home deaths for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why is it an issue? who cares what quote he uses.

Its fascinating the amount of rage and hatred extrapolate on politicisations, they have never met the politician yet they can weave a whole fantasy around them.

Its possibly because the politician is both remote and public they can be made to fit any narrative that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My Dad was in a nursing home. He was tested twice, both times as soon as he showed symptoms (he was prone to standard chest infections). The first test (March) came back negative, and he and everyone else in the place were quarantined in their rooms anyway around this time. The second (mid April), came back positive.

He died from it. There are questions to be answered. But he didn't die because anyone refused him a test.

Hoping death on anyone is a despicable thing. And even more despicable when you're using the death of people like my dad to justify your ignorance and hate.

• Advertisement

My Dad was in a nursing home. He was tested twice, both times as soon as he showed symptoms (he was prone to standard chest infections). The first test (March) came back negative, and he and everyone else in the place were quarantined in their rooms anyway around this time. The second (mid April), came back positive.

He died from it. There are questions to be answered. But he didn't die because anyone refused him a test.

Hoping death on anyone is a despicable thing. And even more despicable when you're using the death of people like my dad to justify your ignorance and hate.

Firstly, I never "hoped" death on anyone. Everyone will die some day. I hoped I was Taoiseach on the day they die.

Your dad was lucky to get a test, considering the HSE had banned testing of nersing home residents. The virus went through a nursing home close to me, anyone with symptoms were taken off the testing list without their GP being informed. He re-referred some and was told that no one from the home would be tested. He has made the document stating this public. He asked for extra oxygen and end of life medications, was told only empty oxygen bottles would be replaced and no extra would be provided. No extra end of life medication was provided. The government left these people out to dry. Their blood is on the govt's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its cringy and utterly pathetic. People have died and he's making bets with radio presenters about the contents of his speech.

Imagine the reaction from our own media if Boris was doing this.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why is it an issue? who cares what quote he uses.

Its fascinating the amount of rage and hatred extrapolate on politicisations, they have never met the politician yet they can weave a whole fantasy around them.

Its possibly because the politician is both remote and public they can be made to fit any narrative that suits.

I think there is a big distinction between using quotes to elaborate or emphasise a point. The LOTR quote for example. I have no problem with that. He did say it was a quote.

Shoehorning movie lines into serious questions from journalist or speeches is totally different and a bit childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

joe40 wrote: »
    I think there is a big distinction between using quotes to elaborate or emphasise a point. The LOTR quote for example. I have no problem with that. He did say it was a quote.

Shoehorning movie lines into serious questions from journalist or speeches is totally different and a bit childish.

Yes a bit childish but that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

It was pretty funny tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Lets hear your plan Einstein.

We're patiently waiting???

Einstein? Thanks. I'm educated alright but not to that level...

Who's the 'we' in your quote - you?

Here's two starters for ten - don't pay people €350 who were earning €150 as it provides an economic disincentive to work and start a recovery. Its probably the one bad policy decision himself and the Shinners have common ground on.

Enable early testing in vulnerable centres like nursing homes as even the earliest of stats was showing the elderly to be particularly vulnerable.

If you think he's done a great job - good for you. The Go'vt got some things right for sure - like the lockdown on Padddies but whether you think Leo is displaying good / great leadership depends very much on your own circumstances.

This thread is about his 'jokes' which if you think he has reason to be cheerful / smart about given the state of the nation - then fair play to your peculiar sense of humour. I find it distasteful no matter who would have tried it, no matter what party.

Advertisement