Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thought experiment: How do we decide who gets the vaccine?

Options
  • 20-06-2020 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

First off, an effective and widely available vaccine will be 18 months away minimum, absolute best case scenario.

There are approximately 13 vaccine candidates currently under investigation to inoculate against Covid in some form. None have passed phase 2 trials yet and there is about a 33% success rate at this point. Phase 4 trials: 25-30 %. We will be doing very well if we even have one successful option after all the testing.

Next, work begins on logistics of large scale production, adapting facilities, distribution, transport and storage, which will be an expensive and lengthy process, at least another 12-18 months.

So, lets say Ireland gets a share of the first couple of million doses (Which would be highly unlikely). How do we decide who gets them?

Obviously front line workers, key government personnel, and the most at risk groups go first. Then essential workers.

Who gets the remaining doses? And why?

As a teacher, I would expect to be lower than a nurse but higher up on the list than a prisoner or illegal immigrant, travellers or dole riff raff for example.

Would terminally ill folk be on the list? Celebrities? unemployed?

Theoretically speaking, the extremely limited amount of doses initially should go to where it would maximize the benefits for society,

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

JizzBeans wrote: »

As a teacher, I would expect to be lower than a nurse but higher up on the list than a prisoner or illegal immigrant, travellers or dole riff raff for example.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

First off, an effective and widely available vaccine will be 18 months away minimum, absolute best case scenario.

There are approximately 13 vaccine candidates currently under investigation to inoculate against Covid in some form. None have passed phase 2 trials yet and there is about a 33% success rate at this point. Phase 4 trials: 25-30 %. We will be doing very well if we even have one successful option after all the testing.

Next, work begins on logistics of large scale production, adapting facilities, distribution, transport and storage, which will be an expensive and lengthy process, at least another 12-18 months.

So, lets say Ireland gets a share of the first couple of million doses (Which would be highly unlikely). How do we decide who gets them?

Obviously front line workers, key government personnel, and the most at risk groups go first. Then essential workers.

Who gets the remaining doses? And why?

Would terminally ill folk be on the list? Celebrities? unemployed?

Theoretically speaking, the extremely limited amount of doses initially should go to where it would maximize the benefits for society,

Thoughts?

We give it to the demographic that react worst to exposure to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

First you vaccinate the vulnerable, and second you vaccinate the rest. You're in the same group with the rest. The rest will get the vaccine whenever, so there's no need to make a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

There will be most certainly be a list.

I would be happy for prisoners, illegal immigrants, dole 'riff raff' etc. who are more at risk than me to get the vaccine before me. What the actual **** is wrong with you!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

You can discuss the covid vaccine in the megathread here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062347

This thread is a poor baiting attempt. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement