Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Phase

Options
  • 20-06-2020 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi

I’ve just received a quote for 3 phase from the ESB.

We need to run 2 to 3 pieces of machinery at 7kw each at the same time

The quote we received was for 18KVA. Is this sufficient to run at least two items at once.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi

I’ve just received a quote for 3 phase from the ESB.

We need to run 2 to 3 pieces of machinery at 7kw each at the same time

The quote we received was for 18KVA. Is this sufficient to run at least two items at once.

Thanks in advance

Let's assume the machinery is 3 phase and each unit has a power factor of 0.9 (conservative value) then each unit would be 7/0.9 = 7.78 kVA.

So 15.56 kVA when both are on.

That leaves you with 18-15.56 = 2.44 kVA for everything else (not even enough for a kettle).

I have no idea what else you have but it sounds like a larger supply would be best but 2.44 kVA is very unlikely to be sufficient. Another consideration maybe
    the high starting currents for these machines, depending on what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭margaretdublin

Thanks very much for your reply.

We’ve also had a separate quote for single phase 18KVA

Could you let me know what the difference between 18KVA single supply and 18KVA 3 phase supply.

The machinery can be wired to single phase or 3 phase

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

We’ve also had a separate quote for single phase 18KVA

3 phase is far better, always. Also that is most likely as large as you can go in terms of a single phase supply, you would be in trouble if you needed to go larger.
    Could you let me know what the difference between 18KVA single supply and 18KVA 3 phase supply.

Than question deserves a very long answer to cover it fully!

Some of the important things to know is that in general 3 phase equipment is:
    • Cheaper to buy
    • More robust (less down time)
    • More economical to run
    • Causes less issues within the installation (such as volt drop during starting)

Given a choice always go 3 phase.
    The machinery can be wired to single phase or 3 phase

Wire it in 3 phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

I always get a bit mixed up re 3 phase.... if the motors are 3 phase then the kva/motor will be 7/0.9/1.732 or 4.5 kva or 9 kva for both motors so I'm inclined to think that there is 9 kva/phase "to spare" but obviously not.

John.G wrote: »
    I always get a bit mixed up re 3 phase.... if the motors are 3 phase then the kva/motor will be 7/0.9/1.732 or 4.5 kva or 9 kva for both motors so I'm inclined to think that there is 9 kva/phase "to spare" but obviously not.

Not quite.
    The formula for power for any 3 phase load is:

Power = root 3 x line voltage x line current x power factor
    ^^ The answer will be in watts. To convert to kW devide the answer by 1000.

In Ireland 3 phase line voltage is generally considered to be 400V.

The formula for VA is the same but without power factor. To convert to kVA devide the answer by 1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Quote "Let's assume the machinery is 3 phase and each unit has a power factor of 0.9 (conservative value) then each unit would be 7/0.9 = 7.78 kVA"

If you assume that the units were single phase then is the KVA still the same ie 7.78?
    does root 3 come into your first calculation at all?.

John.G wrote: »
    Quote "Let's assume the machinery is 3 phase and each unit has a power factor of 0.9 (conservative value) then each unit would be 7/0.9 = 7.78 kVA"

If you assume that the units were single phase then is the KVA still the same ie 7.78?

Yes.
    does root 3 come into your first calculation at all?.

No, it was already applied to the values provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Anything that says 3 phase or 1. Take it as 3 phase = running 100%power

1 phase = 20% of rated power and uses a higher unit cost for that

corkgsxr wrote: »
    1 phase = 20% of rated power and uses a higher unit cost for that

What do you mean? This makes no sense to me.

Hi me again asking a dumb question.

Apparently ducting is a standard part of the installation of 3 phase. Does anybody know is this a big procedure how long it will take and how much should I expect to pay to get this done. I don’t know much ducting is required but has anybody any idea how much it could cost. Thanks

• Advertisement

That depends on a lot of factors such as how much ducting you need. You need to get a registered electrical contractor on board and they will organize a site visit from the ESB. Once this is done you will be in a position to get quotations.

Hi

Thanks we got the site visit and details required

Our electrician has said he will try get a quote for the groundworks.

Should we get quotes ourselves but from who? Small builders? We need approximately 15m for the ducting mostly soil. What should we expect to pay for this?

Thanks for your help

2011 wrote: »
    That depends on a lot of factors such as how much ducting you need. You need to get a registered electrical contractor on board and they will organize a site visit from the ESB. Once this is done you will be in a position to get quotations.

Advertisement