Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving in - electricity meter + Liberty 100 ?

Options
  • 20-06-2020 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭

Helping a relation move into a secondhand home.

At point of just getting MPRN at moment (haven't got it so heard I have to get some serial off the meter and ring ESB).

As well as the normal meter (outside) there is a Liberty 100, stamped with Electric Ireland) on the wall inside (I think, but not sure, that previous owner had pay as you go electricity).

The electricity is currently disconnected too.

Anyone know whether I have to get someone to remove this extra meter before getting things going - even if it can stay there dumb I don't really want an unnecessary box up on the wall with flashing lights.

Thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=517124&stc=1&d=1592647155

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

While I continue to Google :) I see that this might be a so-called 'smart meter' so perhaps it is a good thing :o but again, all disconnected so unsure about whether this needs someone physically to attend the house.

Also, meter outside is day/night with 2 readings - won't want that, is this another issue.

Thanks in advance to those who have a clue about these things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

If it is a smart meter, it should be ok, but if it is a pay as you go keypad, Be aware, this could turn into an almighty pain in the ass. I had a similar issue. A tenant vacated and there was hundreds of euro in arrears on the meter. Every time you put money on it, a percentage disappeared off the arrears.
    I contacted the company and they demanded proof from land registry about ownership of the house and everything. I pointed out they had no right to install any equipment on a property without permission of the owner and they eventually removed it.
    It took a couple of months but eventually they did it. It was actually Bord Gais I had this issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,412 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's a PAYG meter, get rid of it pronto! Contact "property of ElectricIreland" and tell them to take it

ESB Networks should give you the mprn based on the address alone
    Also, are you sure you don't want day/night meter? can be cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The MPRN will be on the meter surely, so no need to get it from ESB Networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks all.

Got the MPRN - it requires giving last 4 digits of serial number and an RM number off the meter and the address and ESB networks then give you the MPRN.

I presume if we don't want the night meter (as you have to sign up to a different type of package?) it can operate as a day meter in any event?

I will contact Electric Ireland - my concern is whether we can get the electricity going again or whether this extra meter is going to mess things up!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

The extra meter is purely a budgeting measure. The issue is if there are arrears. To have the meter removed, they need to send someone out and they tried to charge an uninstallation fee.

I ran them as it was installed without permission. See how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭delboythedub

Helping a relation move into a secondhand home.

At point of just getting MPRN at moment (haven't got it so heard I have to get some serial off the meter and ring ESB).

As well as the normal meter (outside) there is a Liberty 100, stamped with Electric Ireland) on the wall inside (I think, but not sure, that previous owner had pay as you go electricity).

The electricity is currently disconnected too.

Anyone know whether I have to get someone to remove this extra meter before getting things going - even if it can stay there dumb I don't really want an unnecessary box up on the wall with flashing lights.

Thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=517124&stc=1&d=1592647155
    Get rid of it if you can as likely the company will not engage with you as you are not the listed name on electricity invoice. Had one here in the apartments and and Tennant in hospital the alarm which goes off if credit is low and annoying our other residents and meter company refused to engage with me even when I told them that our policy was that our residents are instructed not to interfere with electricity in any way. Meter is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

If you plan buying an electric car in the future it might be worth keeping the night meter.

Advertisement