Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Learner Permit expiring - what should I do?

Options
  • 20-06-2020 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I currently ride an automatic 110cc bike (no good for the test) and my learner permit is expiring for the second time. What should I do? Buy a manual 125cc? Or just book a test, get another year's permit and don't show up for the test?

Really interested in hearing what you guys think, thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Just go do your test and get it done. Don't faf about not showing up when the test isn't that hard.

You don't need to buy a different bike. Take some lessons with a good instructor on the lead up to the test date on their bikes and rent one of their bikes for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭One More Toy

My ibt is out of date too forgot to add

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I had a 125, years ago and always wanted a bigger bike. So I booked the test and then went and got 2 lessons from ISM and they loaned me the bigger bike for the test. Think I paid the equivalent of 2 lessons to borrow it. The point being, booking the test, even though in reality I wasn't ready, forced me to go through the motions. Took about 6-8 weeks if I remember correctly.

Its amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

Just do it! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I had a 125, years ago and always wanted a bigger bike. So I booked the test and then went and got 2 lessons from ISM and they loaned me the bigger bike for the test. Think I paid the equivalent of 2 lessons to borrow it. The point being, booking the test, even though in reality I wasn't ready, forced me to go through the motions. Took about 6-8 weeks if I remember correctly.

Its amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

Just do it! Good luck.

I feel so thick when riding manual back when I did my ibt. Just couldn't get my head around it. I'm thinking if I had one of my own it'd force me into learning it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Do the test. I was riding around on a few bikes for 3 or 4 years, finished up on a 650SV still riding around on my learner permit all too lazy to do the test.

Now I'm living in a different country and have to start all over again, don't mind too much as it's almost 10 years since I was on one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Per the title... your test....

Sorry had to, in all seriousness manual is easy 1 down, then x up depending on the amount of gears you have.
    Its easy forget what gear you're in but easily solved on a straight, clutch in up shift to top gear then count back.

Rent a bike why waste €85 euro every year from now on, I guarantee with the attitude that makes people contemplate putting it off, that they'll keep thinking that way and just continually put it off.

Do it twice you'd of paid for the test and bike rental
    Alternatively buy a cheap 125 for under €700 then shift it on. Unlikely to lose money at that end of the market.

Advertisement