Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get topsoil in smaller quantities?

• 20-06-2020 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

Anyone on here know anywhere that you can get topsoil in maybe few coal bags or something? Around Limerick Clare area?
    Everything delivered seems to be tonne bags which is fair enough as it has to be worth their while.
    But is there somewhere to go and take a bit away anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Not sure what you need it for but I got a few bags of compost to fill a raised bed out in Mungret Recycling centre.

I had recycling the same day so paid the €5 to get in but there was no charge to take the compost away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Would the compost be the same as soil I wonder? I saw that once so thanks. Might be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Would the compost be the same as soil I wonder? I saw that once so thanks. Might be an idea.

It suited my veg patch anyway. I’ve gotten three years out of it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Fairly sure you can buy bags of top soil in home base, woodies or the likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Yeah I went out there today. Just under 6e for small bags 25l. I thought it would be like that. To fill in pots and area I have would be about 10 of them bags hence I thought there's be a cheaper option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Why not pull in at the side of a country road and fill your own? Not sure how legal it is from an EPA pov but if you skim along the bank then I'm not sure you'll be doing much harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Tesco coonagh had small bags too I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

It suited my veg patch anyway. I’ve gotten three years out of it so far.

Not contradicting anyone here but compost and topsoil are not the same thing.

Compost is rotted down garden cuttings, grass, leaves etc. Its mainly used under hedges and around shrubs and trees etc where it continues to rot down and provide nutrients to the plants. Its also holds in moisture better and has some insulation value again frost or whatever.

A proper brown topsoil has to be dug out of somewhere and sold/given to you, even the stuff sold in large plastic bags in B&Q etc are (in my experience) rubbish, I suspect they're some mix of peat compost and clay or something, possibly even dyed to look like topsoil. Best avoided.

OP have you tried asking your neighbours if they'd be interested in going halves!?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Anyone on here know anywhere that you can get topsoil in maybe few coal bags or something? Around Limerick Clare area?
    Everything delivered seems to be tonne bags which is fair enough as it has to be worth their while.
    But is there somewhere to go and take a bit away anyone know?

Try contacting the places that deliver large bulk amounts and ask if you show up on site will they fill what you want.

Topsoil is cheap, it's the transport that you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I bought a number of bags in the Co-op in Raheen today. It was enriched top soil so even better if you are using for a shrubbery or flower bed. They sell it in 35L bags at 5.95 each.

• Advertisement
Advertisement