Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS delivery service

Options
  • 20-06-2020 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

More of a rant then a complaint, but anybody else find UPS to be so difficult to deal with?

They do not use eir codes, they don't understand that DR might be for Drive, RD for Road. I always have to check the tracking because 3 out of 4 packages - my address gets marked as '' Incomplete address, we are trying to update the information''.

They have my email, they have my phone - yet it always have to be me chasing them and asking them to try to deliver.

I was going to to ask to send one of the parcel back to the sender and it was just left on the front door porch with clear sign on it SIGNATURE REQUIRED. I should probably report it as not delivered and ask them to show me the signature they have for it (which they don't).

I find An Post, DPP, parcelforce quiet nice to deal with. If only I could avoid UPS but it's quiet difficult to know what courier will be used to deliver. Luckily Amazon do not use UPS at all in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

inyourp wrote: »
    Luckily Amazon do not use UPS at all in Ireland.

They do in NI by the looks of it. I ordered a pair of wiper blades from Amazon UK in May, to be delivered to Parcel Motel in Newtownabbey, NI with the expectation that Nightline would then drop it to my PM collection point in Dublin.

Amazon UK gave it to UPS who appear to have sent it around the country over the space of two days, from Sheffield to Preston to Tamworth. In Preston, it was flagged as 'Possible delay in delivery due to arrival at incorrect carrier facility'.

It eventually arrived at a UPS depot in Newtownabbey on the evening of Friday May 29th. They sat on it for the weekend and Monday June 1st (a normal working day in the UK) and on Tuesday June 2nd at 6 a.m., UPS flagged it as 'out for delivery'. And that was the last anyone heard of it.

Amazon simply said 'your package may be lost', asked me if I wanted the item shipped again, I said yes and got it a few days later. Delivery the second time was 'by Amazon' via Carrickfergus, not UPS.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

None of the big couriers, including An Post, use Eircodes. They told the government this during the initial consultation phase and were ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They do not use eir codes, they don't understand that DR might be for Drive, RD for Road.

Are you using the abbreviations for the address when ordering?

Luckily Amazon do not use UPS at all in Ireland.

This doesn't help you, but Amazon do use UPS in ROI for certain deliveries. usually its larger size, or higher priced items but not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

whiterebel wrote: »
    None of the big couriers, including An Post, use Eircodes. They told the government this during the initial consultation phase and were ignored.

Dpd use eircodes as do TNT

An post now ask for them to be included.

But the eircode was never designed purely as a delivery service device.

I'm rural - very rural. I needed an ambulance at the house last year. The eircode was absolutely essential as I was relatively new to the area.

But the anti eircode lobby just never understood this use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This is untrue. I've had senders leave the eircode off a package for reasons best known to themselves and then a courier in his van phoning and asking me for it. Multiple times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Don't think any couriers are requiring delivery sigs currently due to covid distancing requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

I was going to to ask to send one of the parcel back to the sender and it was just left on the front door porch with clear sign on it SIGNATURE REQUIRED. I should probably report it as not delivered and ask them to show me the signature they have for it (which they don't).

This is as a result of Covid-19. Any of the couriers that have called to us have just left them on the doorstep, signature required or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

JohnC. wrote: »
    This is untrue. I've had senders leave the eircode off a package for reasons best known to themselves and then a courier in his van phoning and asking me for it. Multiple times.

It is true. If drivers ring looking for it, it’s because they are using their phone with Google maps. It was all over the papers before Eircode was rolled out that courier companies couldn’t/wouldn’t intergrate it into their system. Apparently An Posts own sorting system doesn’t use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It is true. If drivers ring looking for it, it’s because they are using their phone with Google maps.

So, as I said, they're using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

An Post were against it because they didn't need it and felt it would make life easier for the other delivery companies.

I'm in Dublin, with a properly numbered house, but before Eircodes I regularly had delivery drivers ring me telling me they couldn't find the house - because of the way a junction splits a few houses from the main run.
    Since Eircode they find me every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I worked as a courier for a small business. Eircode has been an absolute godsend. We did a lot of deliveries in rural clare and kerry. Up around connemara also. No more trying to find a house down a small boreen. Just eircode into Google maps and I'm there. Saves so much time and bolloxing about.

JohnC. wrote: »
    So, as I said, they're using it.

The couriers do not have it integrated into their system, as i said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The couriers do not have it integrated into their system, as i said.

That isn't the case any more, an post and some (not all) couriers have since started using it. Individual drivers have been using it since it was launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Slightly OT but I recently checked for quotes for the renewal of my house insurance and virtually every one of them asked for the eircode of my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

coylemj wrote: »
    Slightly OT but I recently checked for quotes for the renewal of my house insurance and virtually every one of them asked for the eircode of my house.

Insurers and utilities completely rely on it to know exactly where a property is - something the alternative systems either simply can't do or do badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I've had UPS and DHL deliveries past two weeks. They always use the Eircode to find my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

coylemj wrote: »
    They do in NI by the looks of it. I ordered a pair of wiper blades from Amazon UK in May, to be delivered to Parcel Motel in Newtownabbey, NI with the expectation that Nightline would then drop it to my PM collection point in Dublin.

Amazon UK gave it to UPS who appear to have sent it around the country over the space of two days, from Sheffield to Preston to Tamworth. In Preston, it was flagged as 'Possible delay in delivery due to arrival at incorrect carrier facility'.

I thought Nightline were owned by UPS now anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I've had exactly the same issues with UPS. No issues with DPD/An post.

I'm also very rural and think Eircodes are excellent. Especially since Google maps started using them.

(I too can confirm that the Ambulance Service use them.)

Advertisement