Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbers Price Increases

Options
  • 20-06-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

With Barbers and hairdressers opening again what do people think is an appropriate price rise on charges before covid closure (if any) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mine charges 10 euro. I'll pay 15. actually I'll pay more to get a decent cut. only get a cut every 4 to 6 weeks so not a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why would there be a price increase? Like other businesses they should be only too glad to be opened again and welcoming back the very people who kept them in business in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

muffler wrote: »
    Why would there be a price increase? Like other businesses they should be only too glad to be opened again and welcoming back the very people who kept them in business in the first place.

PPE costs, its not free. Multinationals can take the hit, single operators can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

L1011 wrote: »
    PPE costs, its not free. Multinationals can take the hit, single operators can't.

Saw one today quoting €17 for what was €12 before the closure. That's a hefty increase in my opinion and even allowing for PPE I think it is pretty much price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

PPE and less people through because of having to clean between customers.

and they've still had to pay rent and rates for 3 months with no business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

15% increase at the barber I take my kids too.

They were well subsidised for the last few months not to mention the grants that they are getting now from the Council. I dont think that will be shared with the customers.

They were well subsidised for the last few months not to mention the grants that they are getting now from the Council. I dont think that will be shared with the customers.

The subsidies and grants are unlikely to have covered losses; let alone leave anything over to get shared

Clippers are cheap, if you don't want to go to a barbers, cut your own.

Clippers are cheap, if you don't want to go to a barbers, cut your own.
    Drop the attitude there mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My hair's been thinning for some time so I finally bit the bullet and did a buzzcut at home. I'll only go the barbers occasionally in future. There might be a fair few men in the same position and increased prices won't bring more punters in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I always shave my own hair then get the wife to check if I missed any, I started giving my young fella fades a few months ago after watching a Youtube tutorial and he's in two minds if he is ever again going to pay 17 euro for one, which was the old cost. If it's gone up I'd say the barber has lost a customer.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Drop the attitude there mate.

Absolutely zero attitude about it. If anything, your semi-demand for supports to be "shared" shows attitude problems to me.

Businesses have costs, which have gone up. If you don't want to pay their new prices there is a perfectly viable alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

My hair's been thinning for some time so I finally bit the bullet and did a buzzcut at home. I'll only go the barbers occasionally in future. There might be a fair few men in the same position and increased prices won't bring more punters in.

Bought clippers few months ago, 2 harcuts since, number3 all over, handy as

Absolutely zero attitude about it. If anything, your semi-demand for supports to be "shared" shows attitude problems to me.

Businesses have costs, which have gone up. If you don't want to pay their new prices there is a perfectly viable alternative.

They got the Covid payments same as ever one else, take the hit or shut up shop, should we all get wage increases to cover the months of pent up greed?

They got the Covid payments same as ever one else, take the hit or shut up shop, should we all get wage increases to cover the months of pent up greed?

If your business has an operating margin which is now gone due to increased costs, why would you continue to operate it?

They're going to offer a service at a price they feel they can both get custom and make money from. If you don't like it, it is extremely easy to avoid paying the prices.

If your business has an operating margin which is now gone due to increased costs, why would you continue to operate it?

They're going to offer a service at a price they feel they can both get custom and make money from. If you don't like it, it is extremely easy to avoid paying the prices.

The greedy basxxds will go bust, those who take a small hit for a few months won't, the days of the gougers is gone. Same will apply to other professions

The greedy basxxds will go bust, those who take a small hit for a few months won't, the days of the gougers is gone. Same will apply to other professions

These are all single operators, even the "chain" barbers are franchises. There is basically nobody who is able to take the hit (and it isn't small) for a prolonged period.

Some are going to have lower costs to begin with and may have the margins to absorb extra costs. But don't expect to find many that haven't put prices up, simply because there won't be many that can afford not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Shop around, find a cheaper barber. Your money, your choice.

If you don't want to pay their new prices there is a perfectly viable alternative.
    If you don't like it, it is extremely easy to avoid paying the prices.
    No need for the aggressive and dismissive style of posting. People are entitled to their opinion and just because you dont like those opinions doesnt give you the right to dismiss them. The topic appears to be a wee bit close to your heart..or is that your pocket

No need for the aggressive and dismissive style of posting

Telling someone that they can easily avoid paying for something is not dismissive.
    The topic appears to be a wee bit close to your heart..or is that your pocket

Considering I'm a broadcast engineer, no.

Have done 4 (2x2) home haircuts here already. Will probably go back to the barber as its easier.

• Advertisement

These are all single operators, even the "chain" barbers are franchises. There is basically nobody who is able to take the hit (and it isn't small) for a prolonged period.

Some are going to have lower costs to begin with and may have the margins to absorb extra costs. But don't expect to find many that haven't put prices up, simply because there won't be many that can afford not to.

Barbers and hairdressers are like bookies, you never see a poor one.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Telling someone that they can easily avoid paying for something is not dismissive.

Considering I'm a broadcast engineer, no.

Have done 4 (2x2) home haircuts here already. Will probably go back to the barber as its easier.

I let a 13 year old do mine,

I'm sure they would get away with a (reasonable) increase in pricing. PPE is a reasonable reason for it, too, in my opinion. It's all well and good saying PPE isn't that expensive, but it can be, especially if everyone is buying the same stuff at the same time. Masks, plastic screens (silly in a barbers, but nonetheless, they're still required and i believe perspex has gotten mentally expensive lately), extra gloves, hand sanitiser, disinfectant, less customers, possibly having to operate an appointment system which takes extra time, etc.

I wouldn't begrudge a barber looking for a few extra Euro at all. I'd fully expect it. Albeit, I reckon there'll be a 'race to the bottom' on pricing when the covid measures eventually get lifted and barbers start undercutting each other and up back where they are now.

I'm sure they would get away with a (reasonable) increase in pricing. PPE is a reasonable reason for it, too, in my opinion. It's all well and good saying PPE isn't that expensive, but it can be, especially if everyone is buying the same stuff at the same time. Masks, plastic screens (silly in a barbers, but nonetheless, they're still required and i believe perspex has gotten mentally expensive lately), extra gloves, hand sanitiser, disinfectant, less customers, possibly having to operate an appointment system which takes extra time, etc.

I wouldn't begrudge a barber looking for a few extra Euro at all. I'd fully expect it. Albeit, I reckon there'll be a 'race to the bottom' on pricing when the covid measures eventually get lifted and barbers start undercutting each other and up back where they are now.

Crazy times we are living in.

Barbers and hairdressers are like bookies, you never see a poor one.

Ivan Yates...

Ivan Yates...

Pension of 1 and a half grand a week on top of 2 grand a week from Newstalk, that Ivan Yates?

https://www.independent.ie/life/yates-reveals-how-he-lays-huge-bets-to-pay-for-40000-cars-37847210.html

Pension of 1 and a half grand a week on top of 2 grand a week from Newstalk, that Ivan Yates?

https://www.independent.ie/life/yates-reveals-how-he-lays-huge-bets-to-pay-for-40000-cars-37847210.html

The bankrupt due to his bookies business failing Ivan Yates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Have barbers reopened?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Most people can bring their own mask. If you let your barber give you a mask they will probably charge you a fiver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

PPE and less people through because of having to clean between customers.

and they've still had to pay rent and rates for 3 months with no business

If every business decides to do this we are ****ed because our wages have not increases so how can we afford to pay extra for everything.

It is just pure greed and short sighted. Any business who increases prices in a time of need will lose customers forever.

Advertisement