Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbers Price Increases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

L1011 wrote: »
    The bankrupt due to his bookies business failing Ivan Yates.

Is he poor?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

NotMOL wrote: »
    Most people can bring their own mask. If you let your barber give you a mask they will probably charge you a fiver

Its the PPE the barber will be wearing, physical changes to the layout and reduced capacity that's the additional costs. You can't bring those with you.
    Is he poor?

Do you actually have a point here?

Being a bookie is not a guaranteed road to riches; they can and do fail despite your glib comment. He has other income from other careers, but he's still massively in debt and basically hasn't even got a house at this stage due to AIB deciding they want their (our) money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Clippers are cheap, if you don't want to go to a barbers, cut your own.

Damn right, easy as to do. Price increase, it's decreasing on my end. Doing it myself going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,393 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The subsidies and grants are unlikely to have covered losses; let alone leave anything over to get shared

Nonsense argument to be honest.

Some can't discuss anything without a "why don't you do it " reductive reasoning coming into pkay

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Damn right, easy as to do. Price increase, it's decreasing on my end. Doing it myself going forward.
    You could be one of many to do the same by cutting your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The subsidies and grants are unlikely to have covered losses; let alone leave anything over to get shared

A lot of people will. It many not be in the interests of barbers to raise prices now, many people (imo) just will not come back.

Its the PPE the barber will be wearing, physical changes to the layout and reduced capacity that's the additional costs. You can't bring those with you.

Do you actually have a point here?

Being a bookie is not a guaranteed road to riches; they can and do fail despite your glib comment. He has other income from other careers, but he's still massively in debt and basically hasn't even got a house at this stage due to AIB deciding they want their (our) money back.

I made my point earlier when I said barbers and hairdressers are like bookies, you never see a poor one.

What is so hard to understand about that?

You're playing the violin for barbers and hairdressers who you reckon have to increase their prices to survive, not everyone agrees with that or will be able to afford that.

Barbers and hairdressers were extremely well paid for the service they provided.

We all have a duty to ensure our personal safety, barbers and hairdressers like the rest of us will have to deal with that or will have to find a new way to make a living.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

byte wrote: »
    You could be one of many to do the same by cutting your own.

Your right, however forgot to add. I will give the barber a chance. She is nice, says nothing and gets on with the cut and does a good job, costs a 10er. If it jumps to something mental like 18/20€ then I will just do it myself.

I made my point earlier when I said barbers and hairdressers are like bookies, you never see a poor one.

What is so hard to understand about that?

Its entirely untrue, that's why.

Glib comment that made no sense.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    A lot of people will. It many not be in the interests of barbers to raise prices now, many people (imo) just will not come back.

If you're going to be providing a service at a loss; that's a risk you have no choice but to take basically.

noodler wrote: »
    Nonsense argument to be honest.

Some can't discuss anything without a "why don't you do it " reductive reasoning coming into pkay

Poor fella is losing the run of himself because people have the audacity to disagree with him.

LOL.

• Advertisement

If you're going to be providing a service at a loss; that's a risk you have no choice but to take basically.

Well respectfully the risk cuts both ways. You are running the risk also of driving away potential custom.

Let me say I do not run a business much less a barbers but I am shocked at the quality of my own partner performed cut and many of my friends are saying the same.

One notoriously mellow individual told me that the haircut his wife had given him was 'only middling' but he was sure that 'she would improve'. He was more than satisfied and I doubt he'll ever see a barber again.

It's a dangerous time to be looking for the guts of 20 quid for a haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,393 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Poor fella is losing the run of himself because people have the audacity to disagree with him.

LOL.

Disagree with me about what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Have cut my own hair at least 3 times since lockdown. All worked out well

So will be a while before I go back.....

My guy only can cut 1 person a5 a time so he can’t say he losing business .... was paying €13 fir dry cut. So he has to bring in a tub of sanitizer and a. Face shield for himself. should’nt put anything on my cost....

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

noodler wrote: »
    Disagree with me about what?
    I think he was in agreement with you when referring to another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

If the standard price of a cut jumps from 10 to 15 then the barber is at it, a 50% increase is not required to cover covid. If my barber keeps their prices the same I'll throw a couple of euro extra as a goodwill gesture but if they use covid as an excuse to have a massive price hike ill be going elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Lets face it, there are plenty of businesses that are going to have to put up prices ; they aren't going to do it because they think they can make a killing, they're going to do it to survive, I'd expect them to keep the price increases to the absolute bare minimum at the start until they see where they stand, how many customers they're going to get, what extra costs they're going to face etc, but I'd be expecting price increases within 2 or 3 months of reopening, fewer customers +increased costs = increased prices, no one can run a business at a loss.

Firblog wrote: »
    Lets face it, there are plenty of businesses that are going to have to put up prices ; they aren't going to do it because they think they can make a killing, they're going to do it to survive, I'd expect them to keep the price increases to the absolute bare minimum at the start until they see where they stand, how many customers they're going to get, what extra costs they're going to face etc, but I'd be expecting price increases within 2 or 3 months of reopening, fewer customers +increased costs = increased prices, no one can run a business at a loss.

Increased prices = fewer customers aswell though.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/peter-mark-to-charge-up-to-60-extra-to-customers-who-used-at-home-dyes-during-lockdown-1007072.html

Talk about tearing the arse out of it altogether as if they weren't ripping people off enough before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭This is it

Talk with your feet, don't go if you have an issue with prices :)

This is it wrote: »
    Talk with your feet, don't go if you have an issue with prices :)

Thanks for that sound advice Captain Obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i usually tip 2 or 3 euro , if it goes up
    no tip , simples .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭This is it

Thanks for that sound advice Captain Obvious.

I've a subscription service if you're looking for any more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

During the shutdown, I probably would have gone to the barbers twice. My hair is so thick now it won't be like a normal haircut. I don't mind paying extra for a decent cut, cover PPE and reduced capacity costs for the next 2 or 3 haircuts. If the prices are still inflated after that I'll shop around. I'm sure all businesses due to reopen will also have reduced customer capacity ie. pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc. and will have to do the same to make it worth their while opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The Barber I use was charging me €12, I use to give a €3 tip most of the time. Then the price at the start of this year just before the covid crisis was increased to €15.

I expect in a couple of weeks to be charged €20 tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I heard gyms/Personal Trainers have increased their prices so can be sure they won't be the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

All barbers will put up their prices to cover increased costs.

Those saying they wont be back. Where else will you go? Prices will be up everywhere.
    You could cut it yourself. Clippers are cheap. Enjoy the savings

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Increased prices = fewer customers aswell though.

That's probably very true, though if you increase your prices by 20% and loose less than that percentage of custom, then you're not doing so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭sugarman20

DK barbers are charging €22 now and I'm happy to pay it. Not risking the missus doing it.

My local barbers has put their prices out and its a headline €3 increase. Now, nobody the staff knew as regulars ever paid the old headline price anyway, usually 1.50 or 2 less, (unless you were getting some ridiculous multi-stage skin fade - they'd do more basic ones for normal prices) so I have no idea what I'll actually be asked to pay.

• Advertisement

So now that they've opened, has anyone actually gone an gotten their hair cut? Was the price increased by much?

Advertisement