Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the gear, no idea

Options
  • 20-06-2020 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭

When I see a rider with their heels on the pegs I just think it screams inexperience or poor riding at least. I saw 3 lads on sports bikes today with top brand leathers, boots and lids and every one of them had their heels on their pegs. I could see it a mile away, feet pointing ska ways. Is it just me or does anyone else even notice this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

zubair wrote: »
    When I see a rider with their heels on the pegs I just think it screams inexperience or poor riding at least. I saw 3 lads on sports bikes today with top brand leathers, boots and lids and every one of them had their heels on their pegs. I could see it a mile away, feet pointing ska ways. Is it just me or does anyone else even notice this?

Looks just as silly being perched on the balls of your feet when going hundreds of kilometres and having your knee out cornering at the speed of a children's tricycle

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Yep just you, people ride how they are comfortable.
    Peg under mid foot with the start of the heel at the back of the pegs, toes slightly outward is where I'm comfortable with my f#ck€d up ankles.

If they are comfortable and safe then who cares.
    Agree with the other poster too many street rossi's in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Well I agree on the knee down {or out} at snails pace or anywhere that's not the track but I really think heels on the pegs looks weird and wrong. Maybe it is me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you mean the peg is mid foot with the heel resting on the peg that's about 99% of riders, up on the balls of his/her feet is just the idiot who thinks they're on the track and they look like parrots on a little circus bike (they're usually wearing brand spanking new knee sliders which will never touch tarmac too).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Never really noticed before but feeling self conscious now lol, tend to be a bit towards the mid to ball of foot I’d guess, but put more down to my position on the bike, not the longest legs either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Constantly moving from ball to toe to foot down, knee out.....who cares....:P

Constantly moving from ball to toe to foot down, knee out.....who cares....:P

Maybe op has a foot fettish 😂🀔

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Maybe op has a foot fettish 😂🀔

Nope, just the normal fetishes, boobs.

If you mean the peg is mid foot with the heel resting on the peg that's about 99% of riders, up on the balls of his/her feet is just the idiot who thinks they're on the track and they look like parrots on a little circus bike (they're usually wearing brand spanking new knee sliders which will never touch tarmac too).

Is being on the balls of your foot really idiots who think they're on the track. Knee out on a roundabout at meh speeds I get but isn't riding in the balls of your feet just normal. Most riders I see ride like this, these lads stood out to me because of where their feet were.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Is being on the balls of your foot really idiots who think they're on the track. Knee out on a roundabout at meh speeds I get but isn't riding in the balls of your feet just normal. Most riders I see ride like this, these lads stood out to me because of where their feet were.
    Gosh! I never realised there were style judges looking for
    such outrages. Actually, I've never in all my life thought about it until I was out today, and I found quite spontaneously that I'm a mid-footer - no heel action at all. Phew!

• Advertisement

Breezin wrote: »
    such outrages. Actually, I've never in all my life thought about it until I was out today, and I found quite spontaneously that I'm a mid-footer - no heel action at all. Phew!

Its the Irish bike scene some amazing people that would do anything to help even a stranger, lot of bitching and carrying on like school girls though.
    Some of the fb groups are the saddest cringiest bunch of 40+ year olds I've ever come across

Haha! It wasnt about the style. When I saw their foot placement it just looked very odd to me. I had never thought about it either I just put my feet on the pegs and go. They looked like experienced riders with really good gear and lovely bikes but this just stood out like a sore thumb... Or toe in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Haha! It wasnt about the style. When I saw their foot placement it just looked very odd to me. I had never thought about it either I just put my feet on the pegs and go. They looked like experienced riders with really good gear and lovely bikes but this just stood out like a sore thumb... Or toe in this case.

Ah sure.

None of us are perfect.

I'll talk lap times around Mondello intl. if you are really worried about how others ride tho :rolleyes:

If they were on sports bikes and they had their heel on the pegs with their toes poining "ska ways"....they must have double jointed ankles...u sure they wernt on Harleys.....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

They're wearing good PPE and have road worthy bikes...

This is a win, simple as

In the last month I've seen a lot of the following:
    Bikes that weren't roadworthy by any standard
    Lads wearing shorts, T-shirts and in one or two cases sandles and no helmet riding.

As for the riding position, could have just been more comfortable.
    I ride with the ball of foot on the Peg, it's more comfortable for me as I can put more controllable weight on the pegs if I had to than I would be able to if I had my heel on the peg.

They're wearing good PPE and have road worthy bikes...

This is a win, simple as

In the last month I've seen a lot of the following:
    Bikes that weren't roadworthy by any standard
    Lads wearing shorts, T-shirts and in one or two cases sandles and no helmet riding.

As for the riding position, could have just been more comfortable.
    I ride with the ball of foot on the Peg, it's more comfortable for me as I can put more controllable weight on the pegs if I had to than I would be able to if I had my heel on the peg.

just got told of a story today young Arabic fella wearing only shorts and tshirt, slow speed slide but got a fair amount of road rash by all accounts.

Well I remember meeting up with a few boardies back when the Sunday spins were more frequent and had higher numbers, we met with a group we didn't really know. 1 lad showed up in sandals and shorts.... we promptly left.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Heel on the rearset and foot pointing out is actually proven to help with body weight and weight transfer when cornering on the race track. Left heel out when cornering right,and right heel out when cornering left.
    Alot of racers are now using this technique.

Heel on the reset and foot pointing out is actually proven to help with body weight and weight transfer when cornering on the race track. Left heel out when cornering right,and right heel out when cornering left.
    Alot of racers are now using this technique.

And what about when you're going in a straight line on a road ;-}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

There is a slight difference between track days and road riding.

Personally when I rode I could only afford one set of leathers and one set of cold weather gear and I would mix and match based on conditions.

I am rather ashamed to admit I took the piss on occasion and went far too fast and tried far too hard to get my knee down on public roads; it should absolutely be left for the track.

Thankfully enough my only accidents were not on those occasions I was behaving like an idiot on public roads and my expensive gear did the job.

Also to suggest you should be riding on the road without full control of your vehicle (i.e. both feet close to both pedals for emergency use) seems a little silly; and on a sports bike if your toes are on the pegs and you don't have a thumb brake even more-so. Not sure what the current thinking is in terms of emergency braking and using the rear brake but I always found it useful especially on slippery roads. I'd much rather lose the back than the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Who cares what way a person rides their bike on the road.
    I dont.
    More important things to be worried about than how somebody places their foot or heel on their bike.

Theres few of us as it is without the PC Gestapo amongst us telling people what to wear,what bike we should have,how to ride ...we're adults ffs (debatable:P) ,we need to stop all these judgemental opinions...live and let live, and just enjoy your bike........:)

I don't think i was being gestapo like to be honest, I was wondering if anyone else ever notices it. I always seem to spot it for some reason, it just stands out a lot. I'm not suggesting they can't have fun and i wouldn't give anyone advice unless they asked for it.

Anyway, you're all cursed with noticing it from now on, you're welcome!

Actually do people who have the balls of there feet on the pegs never trail brake, round my way with all the blond farmers ya have to.

Actually do people who have the balls of there feet on the pegs never trail brake, round my way with all the blond farmers ya have to.

So trailing with the rear brake I presume?

So trailing with the rear brake I presume?

Preloaded the rear brake going into a turn/bend while maintaining speed so if you need to put on the rears you don't throw off your geometry like you would if you hit brakes mid apex.
    Control rear brake on and off while maintenance throttle position

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Thought that was front brake :eek:. Swear I'm not blond either. :P

Thought that was front brake :eek:. Swear I'm not blond either. :P

I mean if ya want to try that let us know how it goes haha....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I don't think i was being gestapo like to be honest, I was wondering if anyone else ever notices it. I always seem to spot it for some reason, it just stands out a lot. I'm not suggesting they can't have fun and i wouldn't give anyone advice unless they asked for it.

Anyway, you're all cursed with noticing it from now on, you're welcome!

I took it that you were being a condescending git, on reflection I really don't think you meant it as such but you have now made me paranoid while driving so thanks. git... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Not getting into this whole what is right and what is wrong as it all bollocks tbh, but there is a very good reason for having the ball of your foot on the peg and its nothing to do with being a rossi wanna be or the like.

Its actually a key point for the balance of your whole body whilst riding the bike and should be used in conjunction with the legs pressing the tank to form a strong core and free up the upper half of the body (arms and wrsits) and reduce tension.

I have been on numerous motorcycle courses and all the instructors could not emphasise this enough. Its especially important in the twistie's where minimum input on the handlebars is key....just let the bike do its thing.

Having said all that I would not judge anyone for the way they ride....we were all learners once, and everyday is a school day on a motorcycle.

Just my 2 cents.

Advertisement