Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the gear, no idea

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Not a bad idea to remind yourself every now and then, to not give a hoot what other people think you look like.

When I commuted to building sites, all my gear was tat. Anything decent would’ve been stolen.
    As for my toe pointing preferences, that’s me own biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I do tend to use my toe....only when I'm in heels tho...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Not getting into this whole what is right and what is wrong as it all bollocks tbh, but there is a very good reason for having the ball of your foot on the peg and its nothing to do with being a rossi wanna be or the like.

Its actually a key point for the balance of your whole body whilst riding the bike and should be used in conjunction with the legs pressing the tank to form a strong core and free up the upper half of the body (arms and wrsits) and reduce tension.

I have been on numerous motorcycle courses and all the instructors could not emphasise this enough. Its especially important in the twistie's where minimum input on the handlebars is key....just let the bike do its thing.

Having said all that I would not judge anyone for the way they ride....we were all learners once, and everyday is a school day on a motorcycle.

Just my 2 cents.

So that's what I've been doing wrong....! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Mjolnir wrote: »
    I mean if ya want to try that let us know how it goes haha....

Well, I have tried it, more than once, and lived to tell the tale! :pac:

I don't do racing technique on roads, but I've found it gives more control, especially when the unexpected happens around a bend, e.g. one of our blond tractor friends. So it's become a habit.

I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert, but a bit of Googling indicates that it's the physics of applying the front that makes the difference. A couple of sources on this, but good ol' Wikipedia is probably the clearest...

Anyway, I'm open to correction!

In applying this technique, motorcycle riders approach turns applying front brakes to reduce speed. As they enter the turn, they slowly ease off the brakes, gradually decreasing or trailing off the brakes as motorcycle lean increases. This is done for several reasons.
    First, it gives more traction because the downward force on the front tire is increased by load transfer. Second, as the brakes are applied and the weight shifts forward, the forks are compressed.[6] The compression of the forks changes the motorcycle's steering geometry, decreasing stability in a way that makes the motorcycle more apt to lean and more quickly change direction. Third, decreasing speed decreases the motorcycle's cornering radius. Conversely, accelerating while turning increases the motorcycle's cornering radius.
    Also, this is a good rundown...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

Oh dear, I ride with my heels on the pegs, but with size 4 feet, I don't really have much choice if I need to brake or change gears quickly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    Oh dear, I ride with my heels on the pegs, but with size 4 feet, I don't really have much choice if I need to brake or change gears quickly ;)

It was you!!!! LOL

I don't have size 27 feet so I can't change gear or use the rear brake without moving my feet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Breezin wrote: »
    Thought that was front brake :eek:. Swear I'm not blond either. :P

Yeah its front brake.

https://youtu.be/gPE67XqGsV4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Peg in the middle,toe up, heel down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This is the proper way

70804415.png

Advertisement