Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post modern progressiveness

Options
  • 20-06-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭

Post modern progressiveness.
    From my perspective I see the world the way it is now and can not agree with the direction it is going.

News,TV/film and social media companies all seem to be afflicted by what I would describe as an extreme ideology, and the worrying part is these are all the establishments of public influence.

'Current day Progressivism' is fueled by Identitarianism and the ladder of oppression which are a horrible way to view the world and not reflective of reality at all, Many have been indoctrinated into this way of thinking in University and are now in positions of influence and power where they can spread their way of thinking. If you have heard words like white privilege, cis, reverse racism or even unconscious bias then they all come from this ideology. People getting fired for having an opinion is almost hard to believe if we have not become so numb to it as it has happened so many times recently.

I see this as a cult very like the Sparrows on Game of thrones and so many are signing up to it thinking they are following the virtuous path. I have not heard outlets use words like racist/Nazi/****phobe in my entire life as i have heard over the last 4 years. I still believe normal people are still mostly unaware of all this but little by little it will effect them and they will not even see it coming until they somehow sin against this new doctrine. Things are only going to get worse as some of these ideas are becoming the norm. There are so many other fascists to it I would be writing pages to cover it all so I will leave my interpretation there. What is your take for or against.

Do you agree with Post modern Progressivism 83 votes

Yes - it is great and the only way
    63% 53 votes
    No - I dont agree with it
    0% 0 votes
    Somethings I agree with something I do not
    25% 21 votes
    I dont know what this is about and dont care
    10% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

It is absolutely a Cult, there's no other way to describe it.
    A cult with all the hallmarks and the fervour of a type of extreme religious puritanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Essentially young people with little purpose have been radicalized as a consequence of new communication platforms we don't yet fully understand...stirred up by ideologues in US colleges who no one ever took seriously.

It has given us a putrid culture...you know, mass movements are never easy to define, but this one will wreck culture and will give nothing back....there is nothing that is being created today or the last number of years that will be appreciated in the decades to come.

They destroy culture because they know deep down they can't create anything better....it is a consequence of a somewhat depressed state.

I feel sorry for the people who have gotten sucked into it, who "identify" themselves by their shallow beliefs that invariably consist of a version of a deluded oppression fantasy.

The backlash is going to be very hard on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If I didn't come on to boards and hear people bitching about it over and over I wouldn't even know what you are on about

If I didn't come on to boards and hear people bitching about it over and over I wouldn't even know what you are on about

I somehow doubt that...they are tearing down statues at the moment in large cities in the US and UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

There are so many other fascists to it I would be writing pages to cover it all
    Weird how you were complaining about people being called fascists and then you started ranting about people being fascists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I somehow doubt that...they are tearing down statues at the moment in large cities in the US and UK.

A statue of a slave trader getting pulled down doesn't need much ideology behind it

A statue of a slave trader getting pulled down doesn't need much ideology behind it

I believe the statue was of a man who donated a huge amount of money to charity, money he made from the then legal slave trade....but let's not pretend that was the only statue pulled down or damaged.

Essentially young people with little purpose have been radicalized as a consequence of new communication platforms we don't yet fully understand...stirred up by ideologues in US colleges who no one ever took seriously.

You've completely contradicted yourself within one sentence there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

I assume you'll be in favour of the Guardian newspaper's building being destroyed aswell?

I believe the statue was of a man who donated a huge amount of money to charity, money he made from the then legal slave trade....but let's not pretend that was the only statue pulled down or damaged.
    Were you outraged when the statues of Stalin and Lenin were torn down in 1989 or the statue of Saddam Hussein was torn down in 2003?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Post-modern progressives reject the ideas of the enightenment. Everything is subjective, nothing is objective and it's all about power.

They have a lot to do with many of the problems we're seeing today.
    I see they are now trying to cancel STEM.

The very thing designed to remove our biases from things in the first place. They have a horrible way of uninventing things.

Were you outraged when the statues of Stalin and Lenin were torn down in 1989 or the statue of Saddam Hussein was torn down in 2003?

I'm no historian but I can see the appreciate the difference between two men who's toxic ideology and policies led to the murder and starvation of tens of millions of people and someone like Winston Churchill.

I can also appreciate the difference between Saddam Hussein and George Washington

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Don't be scared. You'll be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Post modern progressiveness.
    From my perspective I see the world the way it is now and can not agree with the direction it is going.

News,TV/film and social media companies all seem to be afflicted by what I would describe as an extreme ideology, and the worrying part is these are all the establishments of public influence.

'Current day Progressivism' is fueled by Identitarianism and the ladder of the oppression which are a horrible way to view the world and not reflective of reality at all, Many have been indoctrinated into this way of thinking in University and are now in positions of influence and power where they can spread their way of thinking. If you have heard words like white privilege, cis, reverse racism or even unconscious bias then they all come from this ideology. People getting fired for having an opinion is almost hard to believe if we have not become so numb to it as it has happened so many times recently.

I see this as a cult very like the Sparrows on Game of thrones and so many are signing up to it thinking they are following the virtuous path. I have not heard outlets use words like racist/Nazi/****phobe in my entire life as i have heard over the last 4 years. I still believe normal people are still mostly unaware of all this but little by little it will effect them and they will not even see it coming until they somehow sin against this new doctrine. Things are only going to get worse as some of these ideas are becoming the norm. There are so many other fascists to it I would be writing pages to cover it all so I will leave my interprtation there. What is your take for or against.

So "normal people are unaware of this"

Why are you not a normal person?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Weird how you were complaining about people being called fascists and then you started ranting about people being fascists.

I presume he meant facets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

The other day I had a thoughtful conversation with a taxi driver about mental health during Covid.

During it, I politely explained that these days a lot of people try not to use the phrase “committed suicide” because it harks back to the day when suicide was a crime and is stigmatising. Then I gave him some alternative phrases he could consider using.

We kept chatting and wished each other all the best. It was a pleasant conversation. Maybe he’ll forget what I said immediately, maybe he’ll use a different phrase in future.

Either way, it didn’t seem like I was trying to indoctrinate him into a cult by using more sensitive language.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

My serious answer is no, I'm not particularly worried the way society is headed. Overall the western world is a lot more just and fair than it was even 20 years ago.

Could you imagine something like marriage equality even been discussed in Ireland in the 1990s.

We barely passed the divorce referendum. We have come a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Us straight white males gotta stick together in the face of identity politics.

Before we are extinct.

I'm no historian but I can see the appreciate the difference between two men who's toxic ideology and policies led to the murder and starvation of tens of millions of people and someone like Winston Churchill.

I can also appreciate the difference between Saddam Hussein and George Washington

Winston Churchill's ideology led to the murder and starvation of millions of people.

Were you outraged when the statues of Stalin, Lenin and Saddam Hussein fell?

Why not answer the question?

osarusan wrote: »
    Us straight white males gotta stick together in the face of identity politics.

Absolutely. You are truly oppressed.

• Advertisement

Winston Churchill's ideology led to the murder and starvation of millions of people.

Because I was a child at the time....

KiKi III wrote: »
    The other day I had a thoughtful conversation with a taxi driver about mental health during Covid.

During it, I politely explained that these days a lot of people try not to use the phrase “committed suicide” because it harks back to the day when suicide was a crime and is stigmatising. Then I gave him some alternative phrases he could consider using.

We kept chatting and wished each other all the best. It was a pleasant conversation. Maybe he’ll forget what I said immediately, maybe he’ll use a different phrase in future.

Either way, it didn’t seem like I was trying to indoctrinate him into a cult by using more sensitive language.

There'll be lads here who think you're trying to oppress them.

You can tell a lot about a person by what annoys them.

2u2me wrote: »
    Post-modern progressives reject the ideas of the enightenment. Everything is subjective, nothing is objective and it's all about power.

Trump is a "post-modern progressive"?

This is getting really confusing.

Because I was a child at the time....

You were a child when I asked the question six minutes ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

osarusan wrote: »
    Us straight white males gotta stick together

I'm well up for it..

...but I'll have to run it by the missus first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Just saw a film "based on a true story" where they replaced a male with a fictional female and made her the heroic superwoman saviour.

I was enjoying the film and decided to look up the real story. Not even surprised to see the female was a fabrication. Par for the course.

Don't bother watching The Aeronauts.

Just saw a film "based on a true story" where they replaced a male with a fictional female and made her the heroic superwoman saviour.

I was enjoying the film and decided to look up the real story. Not even surprised to see the female was a fabrication. Par for the course.

Were you outraged?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Were you outraged?

Do I sound outraged?

So, you were enjoying a film but now recommend people don’t watch it because they cast a woman in the lead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

I used to be very open minded and what could be termed 'progressive' I guess. Then when my life started going to ****, I guess I became more intolerant to a degree and perhaps finding myself drawn to a traditional identity - perhaps if one feels weak or impotent (not like that ;)), one tends to seek shelter in their 'tribe'. For me, these more right-wing type feelings are mostly borne out of anger...

With that being said, I am a little concerned about the seeming rise of certain topics being off-limits for discussion, in favour of promoting a certain view of what's right as fact. Not sure if I'm making sense here, but I am reminded of the lyrics of the Radiohead song Fitter Happier, and worry that being a 'right-thinking' citizen is going to become more and more obligatory in the not too distant future.

But maybe it was always so, and certainly, you can talk a lot more bizarre **** nowadays than you probably could ever in history without getting a clip around the ear at best!
    Maybe, the problem is just being drowned in so much media ****e from all angles now, especially via the internet.
    Or maybe I just should go to bed :)

Advertisement