Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post modern progressiveness

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This is nothing new, but instead an Iconoclastic mob mentality that periodically surfaces - the breaking of statues, the torching of buildings, the ever-changing standards of ideology purity that are needed for being amongst the elect. These occured during the Dissolution of the Monostries, the French Revolution, The Commune and of course the Great Cultural Revolution. Doublely ironic for this modern rational, post-X secular Ireland is the way this has become the new mores and morals : replacing the old faith and family bonds.

A good primer for this current insanity: The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity by Douglas Murray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

BobCobb wrote: »
    I presume he meant facets

It's so easy to get fascists and facets mixed up.

Especially for a facet, as the OP is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

KiKi III wrote: »
    So, you were enjoying a film but now recommend people don’t watch it because they cast a woman in the lead?

Good reading comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

2u2me wrote: »
    Post-modern progressives reject the ideas of the enightenment. Everything is subjective, nothing is objective and it's all about power.

They have a lot to do with many of the problems we're seeing today.
    I see they are now trying to cancel STEM.

The very thing designed to remove our biases from things in the first place. They have a horrible way of uninventing things.

Now that is dangerous...it's one thing filling hollywood movies with this religious zealotry and pulling down statues it's another to completely attack the one part of Academia we actually depend on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

The other day I had a thoughtful conversation with a taxi driver[...]
    I politely explained [...]
    I gave him some alternative phrases [...]
    It was a pleasant conversation.

It doesn't sound very pleasant for him. Did he have a chance to leave while you were politely explaining and giving him alternative phrases?

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    This is nothing new, but instead an Iconoclastic mob mentality that periodically surfaces - the breaking of statues, the torching of buildings, the ever-changing standards of ideology purity that are needed for being amongst the elect. These occured during the Dissolution of the Monostries, the French Revolution, The Commune and of course the Great Cultural Revolution. Doublely ironic for this modern rational, post-X secular Ireland is the way this has become the new mores and morals : replacing the old faith and family bonds.

A good primer for this current insanity: The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity by Douglas Murray
    What's "insane" about removing statues of slaveholders?

I love the way threads like these are full of hurt feelings from posters at being labelled, and then, wait for it, we get a load of posters who agree with the OP throwing around the exact sort of labels they were complaining about in the first place.

Almost like they're complaining about themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Good reading comprehension.

Fair enough, seems a little OTT to allow a casting choice to ruin a film you were enjoying though.

By the way, while the Titanic was a real ship, the romance between a lovable steerage class rogue and a high class lady was all made up. Hope that doesn’t spoil the film for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Fair enough, seems a little OTT to allow a casting choice to ruin a film you were enjoying though.

By the way, while the Titanic was a real ship, the romance between a lovable steerage class rogue and a high class lady was all made up. Hope that doesn’t spoil the film for ya.

I don't think you understand....it'd be like replacing Erin Brockovich with an Eddie Brockovich...it's just plain dishonest.

The far right wants to ban fictional stories - except in political ads.

I don't think you understand....it'd be like replacing Erin Brockovich with an Eddie Brockovich...it's just plain dishonest.

I don’t think you understand... based on a true story almost always means “very very loosely based on a true story”.

I had a similar experience recently with Unorthodox on Netflix. I really enjoyed it and then I found out there are quite a few differences to the real story it’s based on.

But it’s an interesting, well made show so I’d still happily recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Did you swallow the complete works of Jordan Peterson Op?

Meth Brain wrote: »
    Sure wasn't Michael Collins actually a black lesbian transsexual?

No, that was Dev.

Now that is dangerous...it's one thing filling hollywood movies with this religious zealotry and pulling down statues it's another to completely attack the one part of Academia we actually depend on!

STEM murders black people; so it needs to be abolished.
    Academia and STEM are global endeavors that sustain a racist system, where Black people are murdered. No matter where you physically live, you impact and are impacted by this moment in history. This is not exclusive to the United States. We must all work against anti-Black racism.

https://twitter.com/EstOdek/status/1273576414365843458

It doesn't sound very pleasant for him. Did he have a chance to leave while you were politely explaining and giving him alternative phrases?

It was very much a two-way conversation, and an
    enjoyable one. He had lost two friends to suicide during Covid and I was on my way home from a funeral, which is why the conversation went in that direction.

I was deliberately gentle in how I put it to him, and it took about 30 seconds of a 15 minute conversation.

It was a very human conversation, each of us expressing empathy for the other’s loss; discussing the differences with deaths during Covid; sharing thoughts on the future.

Then we wished each other the best and went on our own ways.

Feel free to continue assuming the worst about me anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

joe40 wrote: »
    My serious answer is no, I'm not particularly worried the way society is headed. Overall the western world is a lot more just and fair than it was even 20 years ago.

Could you imagine something like marriage equality even been discussed in Ireland in the 1990s.

We barely passed the divorce referendum. We have come a long way.

Is society really better now than it was 20 years ago, I'm not so sure. People were friendlier and more easily going back then, there was a greater since of community and togetherness, of course for the LGBT community things are better now, but, that's just one sector of society, for overall society in general I think things are no better and probably worse. With social media young people's lives in particular are under constant scrutiny, mistakes they make can't be forgotten about as it's already online, leading to increased mental health issues. People no longer know their neighbours and lead increasingly shallow and materialistic lives. We have all given up more of our privacy(online personal data)than we realise.
    Debating issues in a civilised manner is much more difficult now, no room for compromise, you're either 100% with us or against us, this goes for both sides.

Remember that the catholic church had already lost or was losing most of it influence and power 20 years ago. In the intervening years they have been replaced by so called progressive ideology who preach tolerance, with the exception of those who dare to disagree with them. We have safe spaces and the constantly offended, people seem to be less resilient. Society is alot more shallow and less genuine than at any point in history, optics and style is now given more priority than substance.

Honest question, why did you feel the need to lecture this man about his choice of language?

I didn’t lecture him. That’s a narrative you’re trying to push that doesn’t fit with the reality of what happened because of an idea you’ve made up about who I am in your head based on a few posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Sure wasn't Michael Collins actually a black lesbian transsexual?

RTE will most likely portray him as such the next time they do a documentary on him [BBC is already stuff like that so its only a matter of time before RTE follows suit]

STEM murders black people; so it needs to be abolished.

https://twitter.com/EstOdek/status/1273576414365843458

That's a whole lot of nonsense just to say "This course is a lot of work and we don't want to do it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Manach wrote: »

A lot of it is northern European as well (including France), with the exception of China which also has periodic generation insanity.

You also missed out Salem witches ( and what are TERFS but modern day witches).

So while Columbus statues are falling the US, they remaining standing proud in Southern and Central America, Spain and Italy. Eastern Europe is largely immune too.

It seems you felt the need to correct his language and 'improve' him. I find interesting that women do this.

I find it interesting that you see this as a female characteristic. I find men on Boards awfully defensive at this time of evening.

• Advertisement

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Remember that the catholic church had already lost or was losing most of it influence and power 20 years ago.

Twenty years ago we were between two authoritarianisms. The Catholic church was in massive decline and the US driven identitarian politics was not yet fully established as its replacement.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    That's a whole lot of nonsense just to say "This course is a lot of work and we don't want to do it."

It's scarier than that; what were students of yesteryear are now bonified scientists, the list in the about page of the shutdownstem website has at least one lady who has a ted talk.

5 years ago she was talking about intersectionality in science, now it seems she wants to cancel STEM altogether.

All these people are just 'Useful idiots'..

It seems you felt the need to correct his language and 'improve' him. I find interesting that women do this.
    Women don't find anything interesting about you though.

Mod

Banned.

RTE will most likely portray him as such the next time they do a documentary on him [BBC is already stuff like that so its only a matter of time before RTE follows suit]

I think you're probably wrong there and suffering from entirely imagined white oppression derangement syndrome.

Don't worry, a lot of posters on this thread seem to have it too.

I think you're probably wrong there and suffering from entirely imagined white oppression derangement syndrome.

Since most of us are not Americans or Anglos, none of us really have whiteness.

Tim Lizzy wrote: »
    Actually quite a few young women have found my cock very interesting. Being 6'2, white and having a strong jawline does have it's advantages.

As does a good imagination, no doubt.

Thanks for taking a break from all the young women you’re riding to come hang out on Boards.

BBC is already doing it. You'd have to be a fool or in denial to think RTE won't do the same. Look at the virtue signalling they've done in the last few weeks. You'd swear that the George Floyd was killed here by the way RTE and the Irish media are carrying on.

Tim Lizzy wrote: »
    Actually quite a few young women have found my cock very interesting. Being 6'2, white and having a strong jawline does have it's advantages.

Do you keep chickens as well?

• Advertisement

BBC is already doing it. You'd have to be a fool or in denial to think RTE won't do the same. Look at the virtue signalling they've done in the last few weeks. You'd swear that the George Floyd was killed here by the way RTE and the Irish media are carrying on.
    BBC have portrayed Michael Collins as a black lesbian transsexual?

Really?

Advertisement