Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post modern progressiveness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

BBC have portrayed Michael Collins as a black lesbian transsexual?

Really?

And (s)he’s FABULOUS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Tim Lizzy wrote: »
    Hey, I get laid. It ain't no big deal.

You're an egg?

A bad one at that.

KiKi III wrote: »
    And (s)he’s FABULOUS.

Sounds class, way better than Liam Neeson anyway.

FVP3 wrote: »
    Since most of us are Americans or Anglos, none of us really have whiteness.

This is an Irish forum.

I'm not sure where you're getting the impression that "most of us are Americans or "Anglos"".

We're all Africans really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

This is an Irish forum.

Yes, although given your posting history and your use of language you don't seem to fully realise that.
    I'm not sure where you're getting the impression that "most of us are Americans or "Anglos"".

Should have been are not, of course.

• Advertisement

FVP3 wrote: »
    Yes, although given your posting history and your use of language you don't seem to fully realise that.
    Wha?

You think me, who played Gaelic football and hurling and went to a scoil lán Gaelach (Coláiste Mhuire, Cearnóg Parnell) and has followed the Dubs from Hill 16 for the last 30 years, needs lessons in how Irish people talk from a load of right-wing culture warrior redneck US wannabes?

Don't think so, a chara.

They sure don't talk like youse, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Postmodern progressivism as it is right now only applies to the US and the application of much of it outside the US is complete rubbish. Instead the ideas need to be adapted to Irish concerns, and especially the American concepts of black and white need to replaced with something else entirely, perhaps Irish and British/Ulster Unionists, especially with reunification potentially on the horizon and the Ulster Unionists becoming part of Ireland proper. Ulster Unionist privilege and prejudice against ethnic Irish is still a major thing in Northern Ireland especially with their general negative attitudes towards ethnic Irish and Catholics and their fleg burnings and their bonfires on the 12th of July and their support for the reactionary DUP and Unionist paramilitaries against the Irish, both in the face of Irish demonstrations for civil rights 50 years ago, as well as more recently with the DUP causing the collapse of Stormont for almost 4 years due to their attitude of superiority and refusing to compromise with Sinn Fein, as Ulster Unionists are realising they are losing their majority chokehold on political, social, and cultural power.

Tim Lizzy wrote: »
    Ugh. You're the kind of twat that shows up to a match with a Palestinian flag, aren't you?
    I've never turned up to a match with a Palestinian flag, but what's wrong with doing so?

I thoroughly applaud anybody who does so, the Palestinians have suffered from seven decades of actual oppression, as opposed to the fake kind you imagine you suffer from.

Why does such a flag annoy you so much anyway?

You really are the kind of person that spends your life imagining that people who are campaigning for human rights are oppressing you, aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

"Nation will rise against nation {and internally, ethnos against ethnos}, kingdom against kingdom."

US heading for civil war, EU vs anti-EU, Korea vs Korea, India vs Pak, India vs China, black vs white, left vs right, rich vs poor.
    On the streets of Eng earlier today we even had an Libyan based/sourced 'ideology', exterminate many (unknown to him) innocent white folks.

Hilarious to see people bring up the problems in the US, the EU, India.

Insane far right ideology is the problem, it's always the problem.

Far right ideologists warning about the problems their own ideology causes is a special level of stupid.

• Advertisement

Perfect example illustrated above^, it's always the 'other side', their 'own side or ethnos' bears zero responsibility, accountability for any actions, and thus natural reactions of such actions.

Perfect example illustrated above^, it's always the 'other side', their own side bears zero responsibility for actions, and thus reactions of such actions.

"Black people need to take responsibility for being black"

Hilarious to see people bring up the problems in the US, the EU, India.

Far right ideologists warning about the problems their own ideology causes is a special level of stupid.

Yep and those people are in charge of the DUP and Northern Ireland had no government for over 3 years thanks to the DUP Ulster Unionist extremists. Some of them have even threatened terrorism if Ireland ever gets reunited.

Yep and those people are in charge of the DUP and Northern Ireland had no government for over 3 years thanks to the DUP Ulster Unionist extremists. Some of them have even threatened terrorism if Ireland ever gets reunited.
    The DUP, Brexiteers, Trumpists, Israeli extremists, the Saudi regime, the wannabe Nazis of Modi's India, pro-Apartheid South Africans, those who whine about "post modern progressives" (does anybody know what they are supposed to be?).

All are kindred spirits. Sorry, kindred ghouls.

Very strange comment.

Very strange comment.

Some going to fit two counts of missed irony into a three word post.

Has there been a worse time than this, when so many rise against each other?
    Not just nation states, but actual sub-communities, nations/ideologies with cities, peer groups, gangs, persuasions, even the previous projected perfect type families.

Maybe it's the pestilance of COVID: divorces are rising, domestic voilence is up, even such royal kingdoms are at war within themselves.
    e.g Me-gain wan has a new book out, blaming Will for brother trouble, which in turn will lead to counter acusations, and so on.

Everyone has to take responsibilty for themselves, no?

Also, is it only Obarma that can say:
    "brothers should pull up their pants"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Quite interesting to see the option of a polar opinion rather than a nuanced one is the leading answer in the poll. I really do dispair for humanity.

Has there been a worse time than this, when so many rise against each other?
    Not just nation states, but actual sub-communities, nations/ideologies with cities, peer groups, gangs, persuasions, even the previous projected perfect type families.

Maybe it's the pestilance of COVID: divorces are rising, domestic voilence is up, even such royal kingdoms are at war within themselves.
    e.g Me-gain wan has a new book out, blaming Will for brother trouble, which in turn will lead to counter acusations, and so on.

Yes, open a history book, a school one will do

I don't think the Royal family is at war with each other, though it's interesting how you singled out Megan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Very strange comment.

Best to omit extremes from either end of the spectrum, and that poster is case in point. All that serves to do (imho) is push moderates further away from his/her extremist views and attempts to quash freedom of speech

Yes, open a history book, a school one will do
    WW2 was significant, however it was larger scale nation states, not communities, groups, ethnic groups refusing to integrate with other types of groups, neighbours not talking to neighbours, even in small towns: nations within cities etc.
    I don't think the Royal family is at war with each other, though it's interesting how you singled out Megan
    The two lads certainly do seem to be. Also Meg does have a new book out this week, spilling more beans and flingin' the mud. Interesing you ignore this small matter.

Was close friends with this guy for years and years and he was a fairly typical American who had crass enough views on the world. I don't mean that is typical of an American; I mean he was just very American.

Bit by bit with this new group of people him and his girlfriend got into, they turned into the cliche we all know. They were suddenly so extreme left wing, I got shifted from a lifetime of having very left social views to being rightwing in their eyes because you're with us or against us.

On numerous occasions while I was having meals with their friends, I was just taken aback at the sheer and utter fakeness of the front they were all displaying. I know this guy. I know his views long held. He cannot have switched all of them legimately to miraculously conform to what this group all "believed" so quickly and definitively.

He seems to have fallen back to more reasonable views lately and we've met a couple of times. When he does give his opinion on something, it comes across as his own again.

Was close friends with this guy for years and years and he was a fairly typical American who had crass enough views on the world. I don't mean that is typical of an American; I mean he was just very American.

Bit by bit with this new group of people him and his girlfriend got into, they turned into the cliche we all know. They were suddenly so extreme left wing, I got shifted from a lifetime of having very left social views to being rightwing in their eyes because you're with us or against us.

On numerous occasions while I was having meals with their friends, I was just taken aback at the sheer and utter fakeness of the front they were all displaying. I know this guy. I know his views long held. He cannot have switched all of them legimately to miraculously conform to what this group all "believed" so quickly and definitively.

He seems to have fallen back to more reasonable views lately and we've met a couple of times. When he does give his opinion on something, it comes across as his own again.

Politics has become identity and identity has become politics in the US thanks to Donald Trump's election.

Much like it is in Northern Ireland between Ulster Unionists and Irish.

no.8 wrote: »
    Best to omit extremes from either end of the spectrum, and that poster is case in point. All that serves to do (imho) is push moderates further away from his/her extremist views and attempts to quash freedom of speech

In the real world, my views as stated here are the very definition of moderation - nuanced, sensible, reasonable. I'm in alignment with the vast majority of Irish people.

The views of the OP and several other posters on this thread are wacko insanity and worthy of nothing other than ridicule and dismissal, because they are the product of a zero real life experience other than toiling behind a keyboard all day, which unsurprisingly leads to paranoid fantasies of fake oppression.

There is no acceptable middle ground between a society which does not discriminate against people based on their ethnicity or gender or sexuality, and far right insanity as voiced by the OP and other bigoted posters - that would be just halfway insane, which is still insane.

I wonder whether back in the 1980s were we afflicted with people calling for a "sensible halfway house" between freedom and apartheid in South Africa, "an acceptable level of apartheid" in other words.

Well, if the internet had existed, we sure would have been. A quick read of this thread tells which posters would have been in the vanguard - because they're right there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

In the real world, my views as stated here are the very definition of moderation - nuanced, sensible, reasonable. I'm in alignment with the vast majority of Irish people.

The views of the OP and several other posters on this thread are wacko insanity and worthy of nothing other than ridicule and dismissal, because they are the product of a zero real life experience other than toiling behind a keyboard all day, which unsurprisingly leads to paranoid fantasies of fake oppression.

There is no acceptable middle ground between a society which does not discriminate against people based on their ethnicity or gender or sexuality, and far right insanity as voiced by the OP and other bigoted posters - that would be just halfway insane, which is still insane.

I wonder whether back in the 1980s were we afflicted with people calling for a "sensible halfway house" between freedom and apartheid in South Africa, "an acceptable level of apartheid" in other words.

Well, if the internet had existed, we sure would have been. A quick read of this thread tells which posters would have been in the vanguard - because they're right there now.

I do not think you know what my attitudes are, you seem to be posting very emotionally up above, how about a dialog instead or even what I was hoping for: how about telling us why Post modernism is a good idea? That is the point of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Quite interesting to see the option of a polar opinion rather than a nuanced one is the leading answer in the poll. I really do dispair for humanity.

If we put an option "should we end STEM" we'd have a pretty polarized result also.

Does it not depend on the subject being discussed?

What do you see as the positive aspects of post-modern progressiveness and how has it helped the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I think it has helped give people a voice and has opened up people's view of what can constitute a human being/man/woman etc, it also helped question a lot of long held beliefs. However, It should not be applied to everything and you should not swallow it hook line and sinker. I study it at university in literature and there are some things that I can take or leave. I suppose the problem is that some people don't have this filter or apply it to things where it shouldn't be e.g the sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Talk about having a high opinion of yourself :pac:

Funny how people who constantly spout I'm right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong/bigot/far right loony have such high opinions of themselves.

They even manage to see bigotry etc. where there is none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

Post modern progressiveness.

'Current day Progressivism' is fueled by Identitarianism ...
    no it isn't. Broadly speaking, 'Progressivism' is fueled by social inequality/inequity and the need to correct it. Inequality itself can be informed by 'Identitarianism' but it isn't the fuel of progressivism. To claim otherwise is absurd and makes me think you don't know what that word actually means (or that you do know what it means and you're pushing an agenda)

Many have been indoctrinated into this way of thinking in University and are now in positions of influence and power where they can spread their way of thinking.
    this is just concern-trolling anti-intellectual populist nonsense. Maybe, just maybe, educated people know what they are talking about. It is a crazy thought, i know, but try it out for a while

If you have heard words like white privilege, cis, reverse racism or even unconscious bias then they all come from this ideology.
    unconscious bias is a fact, in so far as any notion in psychology can be 'proven'. If you have research that can explain the reams of evidence that supports unconscious bias, then you should publish a paper and expect a well paid job in return for debunking a widely accepted notion in the fields of psychology, behavioural science, cognitive science and cognitive linguistics

People getting fired for having an opinion is almost hard to believe if we have not become so numb to it as it has happened so many times recently.
    of course people should be fired for having extremist opinions. Do you think it should be acceptable for people to fly Nazi flags at work?? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

This is nonsense, mostly. But what it does do is prove to me that this forum, regardless of its original purpose, is aimed at airing extremist views in an Irish context

Advertisement