Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post modern progressiveness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

2u2me wrote: »
    I see they are now trying to cancel STEM.
    Now that is dangerous...it's one thing filling hollywood movies with this religious zealotry and pulling down statues it's another to completely attack the one part of Academia we actually depend on!

Except of course the #ShutDownSTEM thing was for a single day for a specific reason, and was a call for voluntary participation, not a boycott of any kind:
    On June 10 2020, take a day away from these activities, and make a plan for how you will act to eliminate anti-Black racism.

Not an attack on the entire concept of Science and Technology.

But don't let the truth get in the way of your misplaced outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

KiKi III wrote: »
    The other day I had a thoughtful conversation with a taxi driver about mental health during Covid.

During it, I politely explained that these days a lot of people try not to use the phrase “committed suicide” because it harks back to the day when suicide was a crime and is stigmatising. Then I gave him some alternative phrases he could consider using.

We kept chatting and wished each other all the best. It was a pleasant conversation. Maybe he’ll forget what I said immediately, maybe he’ll use a different phrase in future.

Either way, it didn’t seem like I was trying to indoctrinate him into a cult by using more sensitive language.

More sensitive language? I spit my tea out when I read that sorry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Progressive.

Liban Sheikh in Finland wants a statue of Finland's national hero Carl Gustaf Mannerheim removed (for now they say "relocated").

Kitimbwa Sabuni in Sweden wants the statue of Swedish King Carl III removed.

Thank you both for choosing to go to Scandinavia. Where would they be without you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Except of course the #ShutDownSTEM thing was for a single day for a specific reason, and was a call for voluntary participation, not a boycott of any kind:
    Not an attack on the entire concept of Science and Technology.

But don't let the truth get in the way of your misplaced outrage.

What article did you come accross that told you that? Best post it up so I can critique it.

You're woefully disingenuous answer completely ignores why they want to shutdown stem. They say it is racist because there aren't enough black peer reviewed papers, there aren't enough black professors and not enough black people serving on editorial boards. This is about equity not equality.

#Strike4BlackLives is essentially just repackaging the revolutionary slogans.
    You would have to be deluded to believe it ends here.

Other hashtags that were going viral such as :
    #ShutDownSTEM,
    #ShutDownAcademia
    #VanguardSTEM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

2u2me wrote: »
    What article did you come accross that told you that? Best post it up so I can critique it.

Lol, I came across it in the link you posted: https://www.shutdownstem.com/

Specifically this page:

https://www.shutdownstem.com/who

Specifically this quote on that page:
    On June 10 2020, take a day away from these activities, and make a plan for how you will act to eliminate anti-Black racism.

Emphasis is mine, so you don't miss it.

Critique outrage away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭nofiller69

All I see here are scared old men in a changing world. The language used here reeks of impotence. This goes on and on and on and on since the dawn of time.

These young people are their fangled ideas of how to run their lives!

Just admit its not your world anymore. Lay down and die or learn to co exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

nofiller69 wrote: »
    All I see here are scared old men in a changing world. The language used here reeks of impotence. This goes on and on and on and on since the dawn of time.

These young people are their fangled ideas of how to run their lives!

Just admit its not your world anymore. Lay down and die or learn to co exist.

Yes Mein Fuhrer

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

69% when I also voted no.

I thought Boards was fairly Left of Centre and before I voted, I reckoned Yes would be in the majority, but only slightly. Has this forum now been taking over by a bunch of middle aged and older social conservatives or are even younger ones not as 'progressive' as the media would have us think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Cal4567 wrote: »
    69% when I also voted no.

I thought Boards was fairly Left of Centre and before I voted, I reckoned Yes would be in the majority, but only slightly. Has this forum now been taking over by a bunch of middle aged and older social conservatives or are even younger ones not as 'progressive' as the media would have us think?

I think everyone is sick of this illiberal, suffocating victim culture that is humourless, devoid of creativity, narcissistic and has been tolerated for far too long....the socially liberal society that we have all enjoyed over the last few decades is being undermined by morons with twitter handles and a media industry that has taken so many wrong turns it is up in flames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I've never turned up to a match with a Palestinian flag, but what's wrong with doing so?

I thoroughly applaud anybody who does so, the Palestinians have suffered from seven decades of actual oppression, as opposed to the fake kind you imagine you suffer from.

Why does such a flag annoy you so much anyway?

You really are the kind of person that spends your life imagining that people who are campaigning for human rights are oppressing you, aren't you?

There's a general feeling out there now, particularly in the British political scene but elsewhere as well, that the support of Palestinian is anti semitic in that it concentrates on the world's only Jewish state. This kind of thing shows that the definition of oppression and bias are not always so clear cut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

This letter has been signed what looks like hundreds of times(I have no interest in counting!) by professors and faculty at different universities.

https://twitter.com/BretWeinstein/status/1281630625946931200

This is one of many demands sought of Princeton in the above letter;
    “Constitute a committee composed entirely of faculty that would oversee the investigation and discipline of racist behaviors, incidents, research, and publication on the part of faculty… Guidelines on what counts as racist behavior, incidents, research, and publication will be authored by a faculty committee for incorporation into the [usual] set of rules and procedures.”

Truly scary stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Brian Hartman

Wonder how many of those academics signed out of fear from being cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I think everyone is sick of this illiberal, suffocating victim culture that is humourless, devoid of creativity, narcissistic and has been tolerated for far too long....the socially liberal society that we have all enjoyed over the last few decades is being undermined by morons with twitter handles and a media industry that has taken so many wrong turns it is up in flames.

Humourless, narcissistic and devoid of creativity? Don't spend too long calling us black now, pot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Brian Hartman

Humourless, narcissistic and devoid of creativity? Don't spend too long calling us black now, pot.

That's racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

One joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The fact is that (Western) Marxist academics have dominated almost every discipline and every department of Western Universities for at least 4 decades now.

Oh FFS. What a ridiculous, unsubstantiated, nonsensical statement. I don't know what the political or philosophical positions of any of my lecturers were.

One tends not to when one is studying a proper scientific subject. From which I exclude hobbyist courses like psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Oh FFS. What a ridiculous, unsubstantiated, nonsensical statement. I don't know what the political or philosophical positions of any of my lecturers were.

One tends not to when one is studying a proper scientific subject. From which I exclude hobbyist courses like psychology.

I had a law lecturer who told us he was a Communist straight after he told us his name. I'm not sure why he felt the need to, but he did.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The other day I had a thoughtful conversation with a taxi driver about mental health during Covid.

During it, I politely explained that these days a lot of people try not to use the phrase “committed suicide” because it harks back to the day when suicide was a crime and is stigmatising. Then I gave him some alternative phrases he could consider using.

We kept chatting and wished each other all the best. It was a pleasant conversation. Maybe he’ll forget what I said immediately, maybe he’ll use a different phrase in future.

Either way, it didn’t seem like I was trying to indoctrinate him into a cult by using more sensitive language.

How very thoughtful of you .Just out of curiosity what other phrases do you recommend. Ive been to at least 8 funerals of people who committed suicide and knew a few more lads that done it . I've never heard of committing suicide being a bad phrase . There was stigma years ago cause the church wouldn't bury you if you done it. It sounds a lot better that Joe blogs killed himself .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Great. Another thread lamenting the fact that the world is moving towards being more inclusive for all people in it. Just what is needed.
    After the 'wokeism of the day' thread, all the anti-multiculturalism ones, anti-BLM and anti-Greta ones, the one denouncing intent to better legislate against hate speech, the one about gender identities, amongst many more, you have to wonder just what it is about these things which p*ss some people off so much?

Why is it that people advocating for change with respect to these items so as to help or assist a group or demographic who have been negatively impacted within the current or historic practices are seen as the problem more so than the issues themselves?

I'm not suggesting that everything of a 'liberal or progressive' nature is a definitively righteous cause which must be agreed with but for those who have issues with all of the above, I think it is way past time to look at the common denominator.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

How very thoughtful of you .Just out of curiosity what other phrases do you recommend. Ive been to at least 8 funerals of people who committed suicide and knew a few more lads that done it . I've never heard of committing suicide being a bad phrase . There was stigma years ago cause the church wouldn't bury you if you done it. It sounds a lot better that Joe blogs killed himself .

Decided to leave this world is the new way to say it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I had a law lecturer who told us he was a Communist straight after he told us his name. I'm not sure why he felt the need to, but he did.

A law lecturer?

OK so that's one. What about all your other lecturers? And did this one unashamed communist give you the impression that his was the "dominant" ideology in his faculty? And if so, what evidence is that per se that his philosophy dominates "every department" of your university let alone "every university in the Western world"?

Exaggeration methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The most disruptive revolutionary force in people's lives in the West is not 'post modernism' or 'cultural Marxism' or whatever other nonsense scare-terms-for-nervous-reactionaries are bandied about, but capitalism and individualism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Great. Another thread lamenting the fact that the world is moving towards being more inclusive for all people in it. Just what is needed.
    After the 'wokeism of the day' thread, all the anti-multiculturalism ones, anti-BLM and anti-Greta ones, the one denouncing intent to better legislate against hate speech, the one about gender identities, amongst many more, you have to wonder just what it is about these things which p*ss some people off so much?

I think that's all great. It's all so inclusive of diverse opinions. Thought you'd be pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The most disruptive revolutionary force in people's lives in the West is not 'post modernism' or 'cultural Marxism' or whatever other nonsense scare-terms-for-nervous-reactionaries are bandied about, but capitalism and individualism.

if thats true , how come WOKE progressives are ( in the main ) quite comfortable with capitalism ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Capitalism? The reason we all live such comfortable lives (in relative terms) is because if capitalism.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    if thats true , how come WOKE progressives are ( in the main ) quite comfortable with capitalism ?

You wonder why they never put their money where their mouth is and move to China or north korea if the love communism so much

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Decided to leave this world is the new way to say it

Never heard of it, not bad in fairness

Capitalism? The reason we all live such comfortable lives (in relative terms) is because if capitalism.

Even if we pretend that both points are entirely true, how does either refute what I wrote?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Even if we pretend that both points are entirely true, how does either refute what I wrote?

you lay out pretty clearly which side are the good guys and which arent

im saying the cuddily cultural marxists are doing the bidding of Google or at the very least not bothered by them

consistency breach

• Advertisement

cuddily cultural marxists are doing the bidding of Google or at the very least not bothered by them

What insane conspiracy theory is this now?

Advertisement