Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabbing at Reading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The rule book for disgruntled dark age goat herders is about 1200 years out of date now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

jackboy wrote: »
    Thankfully such terrorist attacks are still rare in the UK. However, most of them do not come out of the blue, they generally come from someone who is ‘known’ to MI5. Rounding up lots of foreigners and locking them all up is unlikely to work though.

So is it the case there are so many 'known' that it's beyond practicability to tail them all? Now that is a worry isn't it. Maybe if there were less foreigners they could tail the 'known' ones.

Btw, this 'terrorist attacks are rare' comment doesn't sit well with me, not that I think you personally are trying to shurg them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Danzy wrote: »
    On issues like this the left are vocal and influential. In terms of Govt decision making they have never been weaker across Europe and especially weal amongst the working class.

It is their middle class activists who are a bigger driver of their position now.

There has been a conservative government in the UK for over ten years. Are you seriously saying the Tories are left wing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/huge-scale-of-terror-threat-revealed-uk-home-to-23-000-jihadists-3zvn58mhq

Intelligence officers have identified 23,000 jihadist extremists living in Britain as potential terrorist attackers, it emerged yesterday.

The scale of the challenge facing the police and security services was disclosed by Whitehall sources after criticism that multiple opportunities to stop the Manchester bomber had been missed.

About 3,000 people from the total group are judged to pose a threat and are under investigation or active monitoring in 500 operations being run by police and intelligence services. The 20,000 others have featured in previous inquiries and are categorised as posing a “residual risk”.

The two terrorists who have struck in Britain this year — Salman Abedi, the Manchester bomber, and Khalid Masood, the Westminster killer — were in the pool of “former subjects of interest”

IsErik wrote: »
    Coming from someone born in the 1st world, how brave of you to make such an assumption. You have no idea what these people have been through.

Often i'm amazed with how quick these people adapt to our country and are quick to set up a nice life for themselves (often doing better than the locals), the only people i hear complain about the "foreigners" are those who are being outperformed by them and quite frankly that's on them, if someone can arrive from Africa with little English and end up doing better than you then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Plenty of racists around these days it seems.

Is it possible to have a discussion about this without anyone bringing up racism?Is that all you have to come with?
    Do you know anyone in here?can you prove anyone is a racist,or is it just because someone have a different opinion than yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Only 45% of Africans in Ireland are in employment. I linked you to the article based on an ESRI report.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1107/1009164-esri_migrants/

I find it very hard to believe that only 45% are working. I would say a lot are working illegally and in cash so they can continue to receive benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

jackboy wrote: »
    Thankfully such terrorist attacks are still rare in the UK. However, most of them do not come out of the blue, they generally come from someone who is ‘known’ to MI5. Rounding up lots of foreigners and locking them all up is unlikely to work though.

A protocol for fast-track asylum refusal in cases where a senior police or security force officer gives evidence of involvement with radical terror groups or ideologies (similar to what we convict on in the Special Criminal Court) would be a reasonable solution.

The asylum system should exist to provide safe haven to those in genuine need, not people who hate the host country and wish to murder its inhabitants.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IsErik

NotMOL wrote: »
    I find it very hard to believe that only 45% are working. I would say a lot are working illegally and in cash so they can continue to receive benefits

It's absolute lies, the majority of them do work. But don't let that get in the way of your racist viewpoint

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/huge-scale-of-terror-threat-revealed-uk-home-to-23-000-jihadists-3zvn58mhq

Intelligence officers have identified 23,000 jihadist extremists living in Britain as potential terrorist attackers, it emerged yesterday.

The scale of the challenge facing the police and security services was disclosed by Whitehall sources after criticism that multiple opportunities to stop the Manchester bomber had been missed.

About 3,000 people from the total group are judged to pose a threat and are under investigation or active monitoring in 500 operations being run by police and intelligence services. The 20,000 others have featured in previous inquiries and are categorised as posing a “residual risk”.

The two terrorists who have struck in Britain this year — Salman Abedi, the Manchester bomber, and Khalid Masood, the Westminster killer — were in the pool of “former subjects of interest”

That article was from 3 years ago. I'm not saying it's not a problem, but if there were 23000 people capable of carrying out attacks like this, they would be a daily occurrence.

These attacks require no planning, no logistics, no funding.

It seems to me these sort of things have decreased in recent years.

That is no comfort for the victims and their families but in terms of risk from terrorism I think the UK is much safer now than when the IRA were active.

It's absolute lies, the majority of them do work. But don't let that get in the way of your racist viewpoint

Why do you have to bring race into it? Anytime the topic is about black people and if someone questions anything it is automatically racist

If a report said only 45% of white Irish work would you think it is racist if people wondered if some of those are probably working for cash in hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Intelligence officers have identified 23,000 jihadist extremists living in Britain as potential terrorist attackers, it emerged.

Intern them.

joe40 wrote: »
    That article was from 3 years ago. I'm not saying it's not a problem, but if there were 23000 people capable of carrying out attacks like this, they would be a daily occurrence.

That is no comfort for the victims and their families but in terms of risk from terrorism I think the UK is much safer now than when the IRA were active.

Safer now?You do realise London have one of the highest rates when it comes to knife crime and acid attacks?

You should probably have a look at how much European countries are spending on counter terrorism measures in recent times compared to before. The reason there's "less" attacks is because vast amounts of money is being spent to prevent them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/01/business/international/europe-training-financial-firepower-on-terrorism.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

A link was provided to you that showed otherwise.
    Go ahead and provide your own proof to dispute the original assertion.

It is juvenile and lacking rudimentary intelligence to shout out the "racist" accusation like that without providing corresponding evidence that the initial claim was incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

The usual filth are out spreading their trumpian fake news I see. The biggest waster in Africa is worth more than any of them.

Safer now?You do realise London have one of the highest rates when it comes to knife crime and acid attacks?

I said in terms of terrorist attacks.

You should probably have a look at how much European countries are spending on counter terrorism measures in recent times compared to before. The reason there's "less" attacks is because vast amounts of money is being spent to prevent them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/01/business/international/europe-training-financial-firepower-on-terrorism.html

That is an article from 2016.

23000 Islamic terrorist capable of attacks like this would be an attack everyday for 63 years.

I'm not diminishing the threat, I'm just trying to put it into context.
    You would be at far more risk of been the victim of mass shooting in America, than a terrorist attack in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

You’d want to get on to the racists in RTE and in the ERSI.

23000 Islamic terrorist capable of attacks like this would be an attack everyday for 63 years.

You would be at far more risk of been the victim of mass shooting in America, than a terrorist attack in the UK.

Yeah a sad angry white man is more likely to kill you than a refugee. Hard pill to swallow here.

I said in terms of terrorist attacks.

How is it safer now then in the 80s and 90s?
    IRA targeted financial institutions in the UK,islamists targets anyone thats not muslim,and thats the majority of people living in the UK?

• Advertisement

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I don't bother debating with racists I just say it how it is. Unless I hit a nerve.

I think someone must a hit your nerve if you ask me
    And i cant be a racist working on cruise ships with 60 nations,can i?
    I have never experienced any racism while working there,but since you are the expert.

How is it safer now then in the 80s and 90s?
    IRA targeted financial institutions in the UK,islamists targets anyone thats not muslim,and thats the majority of people living in the UK?

Your IRA murdered women and children. They're white nationalist murderers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭gibsmedat

I think someone must a hit your nerve if you ask me

Someone has a dog in the race.

That was almost 30 years ago...well in the past, would you say the threat in the UK now is mainly brown and black nationalist murderers who murder in the name of Allah?

NotMOL wrote: »
    That was almost 30 years ago...well in the past, the threat in the UK now is mainly brown and black nationalist murderers who murder in the name of Allah.

Yeah tell that to people who had family murdered by the filth.

I'll never understand the logic in "I broke my toe but that's OK because my arm is healed". Just because the problem isn't as bad as elsewhere does not mean that problem doesn't exist.

Ignoring terrorism entirely, the societal and cultural problems association with large scale immigration are massive problems in themselves - they've given rise to far right groups across Europe and year by year tensions are escalating.

Personally I think multiculturalism is a myth that creates parallel societies - Merkel used that exact phrase some years ago.

I am not Irish,but i do live in Ireland.
    What IRA done was horrible,i agree,but you cant compare that to religious extremists all over Europe.
    Thats two different things.

Yeah tell that to people who had family murdered by the filth.

Even if they did have their family murder how can it be okay to go and stab random people to death in a park?

Or set of a bomb in an Ariana Grande concert which is full of teenage girls

I am not Irish,but i do live in Ireland.
    What IRA done was horrible,i agree,but you cant compare that to religious extremistst all over Europe.
    Thats two different things.

You can't compare because it was and is a bigger problem. The far right are on the rise and I fear a repeat of the Holocaust or the Yugoslavian wars against Muslims and minorities. Some here are salivating at the thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

You can't compare because it was and is a bigger problem. The far right are on the rise and I fear a repeat of the Holocaust or the Yugoslavian wars against Muslims and minorities. Some here are salivating at the thought.

No many of us are looking at other countries and wondering why we're even going down that road in the first place...

Advertisement