Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External tap

Comments

as far as i know, you just (turn off the water and) screw one off and screw the other one on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

as far as i know, you just (turn off the water and) screw one off and screw the other one on?

I’m thinking this is it too. But not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Thats really all there is to it but there are three gotchas if you've never done this before. Making the joint watertight, getting it watertight and the tap the right way up and finally tight enough so it doesn't move every time you use it.

Basically just put a decent amount of PTFE tape on the thread and wind it in and stop when it gets really stiff with the tap the right way up or chance it and do another turn? So basically don't worry if you have to fiddle around to get everything lined up, waterproof and good and tight. Take it out try again and use more or less PTFE tape.

Edit: I use several like this outside https://www.amazon.co.uk/HydroSure-Frost-Proof-Bib-Tap/dp/B079J4L2LK/ which are plastic (avaiable in Glambia and builders merchants). Sounds cheap but they are very good quality plastic and haven't split when its been below zero here which the metal quarter turn taps always do. What happens is the water in the ball part of the closed valve freezes expands and splits the tap. Looks fine and doesn't leak till you come to use it next when water pisses out the side of the tap. You've been warned :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Before applying any tape/sealer, put the tap on counting the number of turns it takes to to tighten while still ending up with the tap vertical. Then apply about 11 to 12 layers of ptfe (less if using some hemp or compound with it.) Most important thing with such fittings is not to have to turn it back a little, that breaks the seal.

I would prefer to use compound and hemp on such an installation, it gives a better seal while also ending up with a tight tap.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Thanks all. Actually in the end I just did a very basic fix and it resolved the issue (essentially a leak)

https://youtu.be/QFy0xTkyIhg

However, I may replace the tap with a lever one at some stage, so that is for the tips

• Advertisement

Another q. For the future in case of issues and to be prepared.

I think I have identified the tap to turn off the water supply, according to other neighbour, it’s underneath the sink. (Exact same house)

When I turn this off, should water to the taps just stop or does the water still flow through the taps as it’s getting it from the tank in the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

why do you want to change?

Looks like you are just missing the screw on bit for your existing tap that will allow you put a quick connect on it

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Klopp

I replaced the external tap with this Brass Tap from cpcireland - great value.

obi604 wrote: »

I think I have identified the tap to turn off the water supply, according to other neighbour, it’s underneath the sink. (Exact same house)

When I turn this off, should water to the taps just stop or does the water still flow through the taps as it’s getting it from the tank in the attic.

I am sorted now with the tap. All fixed now. Was just a leak.

Above is my new question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

The stop cock under your sink shuts off the mains water into the house. Your kitchen tap is fed off the mains and normally the outside tap is connected to this (thats why outdoor taps are usually close to where the kitchen sink is). Shutting off this valve should stop the water for your outside tap.

The best thing to do is turn on your kitchen cold tap, leave it running and close the stop cock. Then go outside and turn on your outdoor tap to make sure there is no water coming out.

• Advertisement

generally this tap turns off the supply to the kitchen sink and also to the attic cold tank
    Turning it off however means you still have a vessel of water in your tank that will supply all other taps not connected to the mains until the tank empties, the supply pipe for this generally runs from the hand valve under the sink, up the back wall of the house and into the attic around the soffit to supply the tank

During the cold winter in 2010, this pipe on me froze so I lost supply to my tank

The stop cock under your sink shuts off the mains water into the house. Your kitchen tap is fed off the mains and normally the outside tap is connected to this (thats why outdoor taps are usually close to where the kitchen sink is). Shutting off this valve should stop the water for your outside tap.

The best thing to do is turn on your kitchen cold tap, leave it running and close the stop cock. Then go outside and turn on your outdoor tap to make sure there is no water coming out.

thanks, messed around there.

I turned off the stop cock under the sink, --- and the kitchen sink tap still kept running (was testing with cold tap)

didn't get a chance to test with outside tap yet.

I turned off the stop cock under the sink, --- and the kitchen sink tap still kept running (was testing with cold tap)

thats normally not the case, turning off under the sink usually stops the cold water supply to the kitchen sink tap

Unless your kitchen sink tap is fed from the cold water supply in the attic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another possibility is that stop cocks under the sink are often very stiff (!) as they're rarely operated, as well as awkward to get to and get a good purchase on, so you may not have turned it off completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

It should stop the water fully. There is also a stop cock at the water meter at the entrance to your property too. Its a blue handle that you turn clockwise by a quarter turn to shut the water off.

Alun wrote: »
    Another possibility is that stop cocks under the sink are often very stiff (!) as they're rarely operated, as well as awkward to get to and get a good purchase on, so you may not have turned it off completely.

this was relatively easy to twist, no major force.

will try again to check

this was relatively easy to twist, no major force.

will try again to check

See some images here

https://imgur.com/a/m7rHNGw

Under the sink is a mess as it has a water filter also.

See in the pictures there is a brass handle at the bottom which is the one I was playing with earlier that didn’t seem to turn off kitchen tap. Also another little blue lever at the top, not sure what this is for (probably water filter)

Any idea which is which

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Looking at that I'd expect that pipe below the brass valve to be the rising main, particularly as it looks to be a flexible black pipe. But it looks a little bit thin or at least not as thick as I'd expect but I'm used to rural plumbing where everything like that is done with half inch heavy gauge black pipe.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Looking at that I'd expect that pipe below the brass valve to be the rising main, particularly as it looks to be a flexible black pipe. But it looks a little bit thin or at least not as thick as I'd expect but I'm used to rural plumbing where everything like that is done with half inch heavy gauge black pipe.

thanks any idea what the blue lever is for?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

thanks any idea what the blue lever is for?

Is there a dishwasher or washing machine near the sink?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Is there a dishwasher or washing machine near the sink?

yep. dishwasher right beside sink

and water filter equipment under sink also

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

yep. dishwasher right beside sink

and water filter equipment under sink also

Pipe with blue valve probably feeds the dishwasher.

Advertisement