Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diluting interior paint, first coat, both coats or don't dilute

• 21-06-2020 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, Just curious last time I had my local painter in I noticed he was adding water into the paint skuttle for both paint coats, (matt interior wall paint). Is this normal practice to dilute down paint in both first and second coat as it didnt mention it on the paint can info? I actually had the paint made up by the shop Fleetwood to a specific shade so in my thinking diluting the paint with water would slightly lighten the color. I did notice some slight patchiness in the hallway in the light but he said it was the paint (which i supplied so no comeback there)
    The house had been painted many times before and surface was fine. I did ask him what the purpose was and he said "its normal it just makes it easier to work with and most manufacturers expect the paint to be diluted between 10 to 15% on all coats, sure it would be impossible to roll it on straight from the can paint as its too thick from the bucket. Is that true? And if so then why is it not mentioned on the label and why is it sold too thick for use:confused:
    Reason I ask is I will be getting front room painted soon and dont want to be putting on watered down paint if its not needed ie: a handy way to speed the job up but your left with a bad paint job.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

find yourself a proper painter.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

find yourself a proper painter.

Emm the funny thing is he did a really neat job excellent free hand cutting along borders flawless. Patched up perfectly big tears of removed drywall where dado rail had been tec-7 down. And he had great reviews. So paint should never be watered down at all at all? (apart from a mist coat of course on new plaster)

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I've heard of diluting paint when painting on plaster, but not over years of existing paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Emm the funny thing is he did a really neat job excellent free hand cutting along borders flawless. Patched up perfectly big tears of removed drywall where dado rail had been tec-7 down. And he had great reviews. So paint should never be watered down at all at all? (apart from a mist coat of course on new plaster)

generally no. only for a mist coat or if you were spraying it.

maybe im missing something, maybe he is right. im sure a few of the pro painters here can confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Im doing my hall and landing using dulux matt, im finding it very thick and actually have to water it down for the roller, i think the temperature is a lot to do with it, warmer it is the more thicker and stickier the paint, a bit of water and the paint goes on a lot easier, im no professional but thats my own opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I'd always mix in some amount of water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi Guys, Just curious last time I had two pints in my local painter in I noticed he barman was adding water into the paint skuttle for both paint coats, (matt interior wall paint)pints.
    Is this normal practice to dilute down b.
    :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement