Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Blizzard wrote: »
    Update: I received an email from UL advising there is "high demand for the course and that I MUST submit an application to the University of Limerick online system, however, the link is not yet available and that they will email the link to apply as soon as it’s available."

We'll see what happens, I'm happy to have heard something at least. :)

What course did you apply for out of interest because I got the exact same email a few days ago so wondering is it just a generic line to get people replying on time.

The link for UL was live for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

What course did you apply for out of interest because I got the exact same email a few days ago so wondering is it just a generic line to get people replying on time.

The link for UL was live for me though.

It was for Marketing Management; what did you apply for?

It was for Marketing Management; what did you apply for?

The Certificate in Management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Accepted to HDip in Computing Conversion in LYIT - now to choose between that & Higher Diploma in Science in Computing - Software Development in DBS. Anyone any insight to either? LYIT is online and DBS is evenings in the college. Have read a few things online about LYIT that aren't great

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Just got offered Lean and BIM Construction Management Level 9 Cert in Sligo. I've a deadline till next Thursday to accept. Is it possible for then to extend the deadline at all? Would like to see would I be offered a place in some of the other courses I applied to first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Just got offered Lean and BIM Construction Management Level 9 Cert in Sligo. I've a deadline till next Thursday to accept. Is it possible for then to extend the deadline at all? Would like to see would I be offered a place in some of the other courses I applied to first.

Ask

Someone had theirs extended earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I asked them to extend it and they didn’t. So I let it go. From talking to a few people IT Sligo is very good but TU are the best for construction related courses

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Accepted to HDip in Computing Conversion in LYIT - now to choose between that & Higher Diploma in Science in Computing - Software Development in DBS. Anyone any insight to either? LYIT is online and DBS is evenings in the college. Have read a few things online about LYIT that aren't great

i just chose the TU HDIP in computing over the DBS course you are referring to.
    Tallaght is closer to me than dbs and i wanted a more general computer course over a specific software development course. Though i would prefer eventually to go into programming. I am new to a computer course and would like a greater understanding before i focus on a particular area.im hoping the UDEMY can provide me with more software training when i get a job in computing.

i read on this thread that the TU computing course in Blanchardstown wasnt the best organised, and i have heard DBS is very good as its private and thus people expect more. also id prefer to attend the college than do it online as humans are social animals and nice to talk to other students face to face to see what they think.

Tallaght is closer to me than dbs and i wanted a more general computer course over a specific software development course. Though i would prefer eventually to go into programming. I am new to a computer course and would like a greater understanding before i focus on a particular area.im hoping the UDEMY can provide me with more software training when i get a job in computing.

i read on this thread that the TU computing course in Blanchardstown wasnt the best organised, and i have heard DBS is very good as its private and thus people expect more. also id prefer to attend the college than do it online as humans are social animals and nice to talk to other students face to face to see what they think.
    I'm somewhat opposite - want a course tailored to Software Development. Had a look around and can't see much on what's covered in the LYIT course, and DBS is close to work so it'll likely be the one I go for.

I'm somewhat opposite - want a course tailored to Software Development. Had a look around and can't see much on what's covered in the LYIT course, and DBS is close to work so it'll likely be the one I go for.

Well then it sounds like a no-brainer. its a nice place DBS and being close to your work, so much easier with commute etc. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

Update: I received an email from UL advising there is "high demand for the course and that I MUST submit an application to the University of Limerick online system, however, the link is not yet available and that they will email the link to apply as soon as it’s available."

We'll see what happens, I'm happy to have heard something at least. :)

I only applied 2 days ago and closing date was yesterday I think. So nothing here yet.

Do you need to send them copies of past education certs.? Someone here mentioned transcrips of courses were needed, I dont know what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

I too will be doing that course 2lazy. Looking forward to it, but I'm actually hoping they do as much of it online as possible!

And I'm regards to DBS, I just completed a H.Dip there this June, it was in a different field to Computing though.

Admin of DBS is grand, but the course was being thrown together as we were doing it. To the extent that two of our modules started with a different lecturer to what they finished with.

One of those modules had two lecturers who were giving us assignments without talking to one another. In the end we just stopped doing them and told the lecturers to sort it out between them, that it was getting ridiculous.

Haven't heard anything from.the Computing section though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I only applied 2 days ago and closing date was yesterday I think. So nothing here yet.

Do you need to send them copies of past education certs.? Someone here mentioned transcrips of courses were needed, I dont know what they are.

I applied to UL yesterday for 3 course received replies on 2 asking me to fill in their online system.

If you previously studied at UL just provide your student number if not contact your previous college/uni and ask for your transcript which is a listing of your results.

Seems different departments are reviewing at a different pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    Still nothing back from post grad DCU course.

Provisional offer for AIT on one course I applied to, pending documentation being in order. Nothing from the other course there.

TUD has decided to not offer me the course I applied to.

DCU got back a short time ago and offered me a place on the course. They gave me 7 days to accept, took me less than 7 minutes :pac: It was my first choice so zero hesitation. Excited now to start in early October. Thanks to OP who posted this thread, it has expedited my further education by a number of years and for that I'm very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭chillinpenguin

I have applied to that course and heard nothing back yet. So i hope you get more offers :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I have applied to that course and heard nothing back yet. So i hope you get more offers :D:D

You'll probably hear from them yet. It seems like they go through applications 1 by 1.

I've also applied for a HDip in Science in Computing in Sligo - received an email 10 days ago to upload documents to their website which I have and heard nothing since. The Springboard sire shows they've downloaded the application almost daily though

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sabinaspb

DCU got back a short time ago and offered me a place on the course. They gave me 7 days to accept, took me less than 7 minutes :pac: It was my first choice so zero hesitation. Excited now to start in early October. Thanks to OP who posted this thread, it has expedited my further education by a number of years and for that I'm very grateful.

Still waiting to hear back on my DCU postgrad application... Ah the suspense!

I've also applied for a HDip in Science in Computing in Sligo - received an email 10 days ago to upload documents to their website which I have and heard nothing since. The Springboard sire shows they've downloaded the application almost daily though

Would it be a bit risky picking one in sligo. they might say its online but they might decide to run a few workshops or classes. not an easy place to get to.

Can i ask what course did you applied for? my first preference was DCU but my second choice offer in tallaght was about to expire and i wasnt going to take the risk losing my second choice and hoping to get my first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

sabinaspb wrote: »
    Still waiting to hear back on my DCU postgrad application... Ah the suspense!

Just got the congratulations email so you might hear soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Can i ask what course did you applied for? my first preference was DCU but my second choice offer in tallaght was about to expire and i wasnt going to take the risk losing my second choice and hoping to get my first choice.

Management of Internet enterprise systems

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

For UL, when they contact you via email, they will send you a link to complete an application online (on their site) and advise:

YOU MUST UPLOAD ALL DOCUMENTS BELOW IN ORDER TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION:

- Photo or Scanned original copy of your transcripts for all years of study. (Graduates of UL need only provide us with their Student ID number.)
    - Photo or Scanned copy of passport to verify ID and full legal name.
    - Digital quality head and shoulders photograph.
    - A copy of your most recent CV, please note that by providing this document you are agreeing that we may send it to members of industry if you require assistance when searching for an Industry Learning Placement (ILE) or project work (applies to some courses only).
    - Relevant proof of your status depending on what you filled on the Springboard+ application form (please see attached document title Springboard+ Proof of Status)
    - Applicants who do not have English as their first language may satisfy English Language requirements.

The application online is about six pages - general info about you, your education, info on two jobs and a statement (and the uploaded documents above).

I also applied for courses at IT Carlow and AIT and got emails from both today that my applications are pending. Fingers crossed one of the courses is 'confirmed' soon; I'm leaning towards NUIG though. Has anyone heard if their online/blended part time courses are any good - particularly the management or marketing management courses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭This is it

Transcripts from every year of study seems a bit OTT no?

The bar seems to be set quite high by some and quite low by others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

For UL, when they contact you via email, they will send you a link to complete an application online (on their site) and advise:

YOU MUST UPLOAD ALL DOCUMENTS BELOW IN ORDER TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION:

- Photo or Scanned original copy of your transcripts for all years of study. (Graduates of UL need only provide us with their Student ID number.)
    - Photo or Scanned copy of passport to verify ID and full legal name.
    - Digital quality head and shoulders photograph.
    - A copy of your most recent CV, please note that by providing this document you are agreeing that we may send it to members of industry if you require assistance when searching for an Industry Learning Placement (ILE) or project work (applies to some courses only).
    - Relevant proof of your status depending on what you filled on the Springboard+ application form (please see attached document title Springboard+ Proof of Status)
    - Applicants who do not have English as their first language may satisfy English Language requirements.

The application online is about six pages - general info about you, your education, info on two jobs and a statement (and the uploaded documents above).

I also applied for courses at IT Carlow and AIT and got emails from both today that my applications are pending. Fingers crossed one of the courses is 'confirmed' soon; I'm leaning towards NUIG though. Has anyone heard if their online/blended part time courses are any good - particularly the management or marketing management courses?

Its over 20yrs since I did my Diploma. I dont even remember getting results each yr!! I tended to scrape through if Im honest!! Feck I better contact DIT.
    I presume they will know what Im looking for.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Would it be a bit risky picking one in sligo. they might say its online but they might decide to run a few workshops or classes. not an easy place to get to.
    Well when it says it’s online. And zero mentions of having to be onsite. Compared to some of the others who have said its online but when you look it’s only temporary.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Well when it says it’s online. And zero mentions of having to be onsite. Compared to some of the others who have said its online but when you look it’s only temporary.

That is really annoying especially when they have the option of selecting blended learning so you know there would be some classroom work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Look like i got accepted to CIT, had to upload passport and proof of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lan Di

I did this course in 2016. I had travel to Sligo twice in the year for exams/assessments (Jan and May) - staying overnight as they were over two days each time.

Obviously with COVID-19 it may be different this year.

• Advertisement

Lan Di wrote: »
    I did this course in 2016.

How did you find the course? Were you working in IT before or did you move to it after?

Advertisement