Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Im_OnYa

Hey,

Has anyone heard back from Limerick IT and the MSc in Quantity Surveying? I got an email two weeks ago saying they were reviewing my application and I am still waiting to hear more. The course starts in 10 days :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭tritium

onrail wrote: »
    That's really helpful, thanks. While I'm not a complete beginner at coding, I'm definitely a novice - so everything is screaming to me that it would be a tough ask to balance everything.

Out of interest, how did you find employment prospects afterwards? To be honest, if I knew that a year of effort would lead to a decent start in a new industry at the end, I'd put up with it!

just on the coding, I don't know if you made the online open evening earlier in the week (I went along for more general info). the view from the course lecturer was that the level 8 course didn't require an extensive coding skills background as they'd start from the basics: emphasis was that R, Excel and some SPSS possibly would be the main tools used.

On the R side if you haven't used it before I'd suggest checking out the free online introduction on EdX. Its quite good and R itself is relatively intuitive to use.

Not sure what your current industry or qualifications are but in my current role I'd see a fair few CV's for entry level analyst roles with this or similar qualifications - there's a huge demand for analytics skills in financial services, manufacturing tech and pharma. It would be enough to get you an interview, with the caveat that there's a lot of folks doing similar upskilling. There's also a lot of grad programmes it would get you into. If you have real world work experience (even in a different sector) that's a plus also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭AngryLips

tritium wrote: »
    just on the coding, I don't know if you made the online open evening earlier in the week (I went along for more general info). the view from the course lecturer was that the level 8 course didn't require an extensive coding skills background as they'd start from the basics

This is true. My point is just that to learn it you still need plenty of time to apply yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RodFlanders

Gadge wrote: »
    Everyone else sucks! :D

Have you heard anything lately from them? Last communication to me was to take my deposit. I've emailed them a few times with regards to modules etc as I wanted to get a head start but they're useless to get back. I don't eve. Have a start date.

Hi Gadge, I'm starting this course too and I've heard nothing. I emailed back in July enquiring whether I need to buy a laptop with a certain level of specs and got no response, won't be too happy if they expect me to buy one at the last minute.

There's a thread on the TUD section of Boards (won't let me link, it's the most recent thread over there) where someone e-mailed TUD about confirmation emails and TUD said they're having IT problems. Bit annoying not hearing anything this close to starting but at least that's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Hi Gadge, I'm starting this course too and I've heard nothing. I emailed back in July enquiring whether I need to buy a laptop with a certain level of specs and got no response, won't be too happy if they expect me to buy one at the last minute.

There's a thread on the TUD section of Boards (won't let me link, it's the most recent thread over there) where someone e-mailed TUD about confirmation emails and TUD said they're having IT problems. Bit annoying not hearing anything this close to starting but at least that's something.

Thanks for the info, the only reply I ever got off them was confirmation they received the first payment. Fair frustrating actually. I'll check out that thread, thanks a mill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

bleuhh wrote: »
    Hi guys, staying on the Bargain Alerts topic - if you have your college email set up now don't forget to change your Spotify to Spotify Student - it's half price!

Don’t forget Amazon Prime for 3.99 for as long as you tell them the course is (up to 4 years!)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

oopsies wrote: »
    Anyone know much about the Digital Marketing Institute?
    I got accepted onto their Postgrad Level 9 program, but wondering if its worth it? Or maybe Id be better looking into CIM...?

I’m looking at this too! Did you find out any more about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JrdiH

Applied to the online only 2 year Hdip in CS with WIT, hopefully I get accepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TinyTot165

Has anyone heard back from AIT for the Hdip in Data Analytics, I applied just before the closing date any my application was downloaded on Thursday for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

Everyone else sucks! :D

Have you heard anything lately from them? Last communication to me was to take my deposit. I've emailed them a few times with regards to modules etc as I wanted to get a head start but they're useless to get back. I don't eve. Have a start date.

No word Gadge - I wasn't asked for payment yet. Maybe Covid has them running behind schedule.

I'm sure the'll get moving over the next week or two.

It would be nice to have a few pointers alright

Best of luck in the course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

Hi RobFlanders - you will need access to a desktop or laptop. And you usually need something with decent enough specs for programming, If you live near the college you might be able to get in to do your work on one of their PCs but COVID is going to make this a bit trickier,

Best of luck with the course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

[PHP][/PHP]
    I’m looking at this too! Did you find out any more about it?

Well I've accepted it and my job has paid for it. So its fully online, seems to cover a lot. I decided to go for it after I seen a lot of connections on LinkedIn with courses from DMI. Also UCD do a digital marketing course but it's actually done through the digital marketing institute.
    Starts on Oct 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Three weeks of coding starting in Maynooth on the HDip tomorrow. So this is gonna be something.

Best of luck everyone with what you've picked. No better time to get more education or switch careers than during an economic downturn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

To all best of luck. I finished up my exams two weeks back. I cant believe how its flown.

Hopefully results are out in two weeks and Ill have a level 7 in BEng Tech.....Onward and upward.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 achbons

DK man wrote: »
    No word Gadge - I wasn't asked for payment yet. Maybe Covid has them running behind schedule.

I'm sure the'll get moving over the next week or two.

It would be nice to have a few pointers alright

Best of luck in the course

Hi DK man, Gadge, RodFlanders,

I emailed the course coordinator last week and heard back from her. She explained that usually once students are registered (in a normal year this would happen around middle of September), they go to the campus to collect their student cards. With Covid, though, it's not certain that this will happen before the induction day on Saturday 26th September, so we might get our student cards on the day.

I's going to be a full day onsite (9am-4pm) with a chance to meet her, the lecturers, and get set up for the semester. We'll need student cards/numbers to log on to the campus PCs anyway, so I expect everything will get sorted out in the next two weeks. She also confirmed that the other onsite dates (which I think were mentioned on the Springboard website too) will most likely be 19 October, 21 November and 12 December. The rest of the course will be fully online via Moodle. That's all I know so far.

Will let you know if I hear anything else. I haven't been asked to pay any fee (yet) either.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

achbons wrote: »
    Hi DK man, Gadge, RodFlanders,

I emailed the course coordinator last week and heard back from her. She explained that usually once students are registered (in a normal year this would happen around middle of September), they go to the campus to collect their student cards. With Covid, though, it's not certain that this will happen before the induction day on Saturday 26th September, so we might get our student cards on the day.

I's going to be a full day onsite (9am-4pm) with a chance to meet her, the lecturers, and get set up for the semester. We'll need student cards/numbers to log on to the campus PCs anyway, so I expect everything will get sorted out in the next two weeks. She also confirmed that the other onsite dates (which I think were mentioned on the Springboard website too) will most likely be 19 October, 21 November and 12 December. The rest of the course will be fully online via Moodle. That's all I know so far.

Will let you know if I hear anything else. I haven't been asked to pay any fee (yet) either.

Thanks for that, I emailed John Durkin over the weekend about start dates and registration/induction and this was busy reply:

Hello Garret

Apologies for the delay, this is due to Covid you will be starting the week of the 28th September, All going well I will be sending out the emails on Friday

Regards

John

• Registered Users Posts: 32 achbons

Thanks for that, I emailed John Durkin over the weekend about start dates and registration/induction and this was busy reply:

Hello Garret

Apologies for the delay, this is due to Covid you will be starting the week of the 28th September, All going well I will be sending out the emails on Friday

Regards

John

Good to hear, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anybody else having trouble with Sligo IT emails? I go an email last week to say it shoudl be active today but am unable to log in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Haven't heard anything from Sligo since mid August, dropped them a mail earlier so will wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

I got a large email from Letterkenny IT today about the Postgrad Dip in Cybersecurity.

Lectures online on Monday and Tuesday evenings for the first 10 weeks approx, starting next Monday 14th.

Registration details etc were mentioned as being posted out to arrive today, but when I rang the admissions office, they said that this info would instead be emailed today/tomorrow.

Good luck to all...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I know resources are stretched and so on.

But did anyone else find the response time from colleges to be absolutely shocking or else non existent ?

I’d say out of about 7 course i emailed to find out about the timetable, two got back. I’ve followed up with the ones that didn’t and still got nothing back. I even tracked down the course contacts email as the springboard addresses seem to just be a black hole where no response ever comes out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭This is it

CBear1993 wrote: »

But did anyone else find the response time from colleges to be absolutely shocking or else non existent ?

I’d say out of about 7 course i emailed to find out about the timetable, two got back. I’ve followed up with the ones that didn’t and still got nothing back. I even tracked down the course contacts email as the springboard addresses seem to just be a black hole where no response ever comes out

No issue myself. Got replies within about 2 working days from.two different colleges. I'd say they're all over the play trying to sort out the colleges and get everything online for the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

CBear1993 wrote: »

I dealt with Letterkenny IT and UL. Had no issues with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

I dealt with Letterkenny IT and UL. Had no issues with either.

I also death with letterkenny and found them very responsive. I think they had prior experience with online teaching so they probably struggled less with organisation then other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

DCU have been good with responses. Most colleges are in unchartered territory with delivering courses online so I'd say they're hesitant to provide details they don't yet have.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Anybody else having trouble with Sligo IT emails? I go an email last week to say it shoudl be active today but am unable to log in

Same as this. I emailed them last night, will probably hear back today, will let you know.

EDIT:

They doing upgrade work on Wednesday so will be available some time on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evster

Has anyone else been accepted onto the Athlone AIT masters in Software Design with Cybersecurity? If so any progress so far

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mrm

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything from Sligo since mid August, dropped them a mail earlier so will wait and see

I received my acceptance email mid august, no course related correspondence received since but my springboard application has update from 'accepted' to 'enrolled' in the last few days. It is moving along but slowly and without any direct correspondence from the college. I guess I'll expect an email about the enrollment shortly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Anyone doing supply chain management at IT Carlow? I’ve emailed them 2 times in the last 10 days asking if we will have to attend IT Carlow as I live in Dublin.
    It’s evening classes and says blended. With Covid however this could mean its all online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

mrm wrote: »
    I received my acceptance email mid august, no course related correspondence received since but my springboard application has update from 'accepted' to 'enrolled' in the last few days. It is moving along but slowly and without any direct correspondence from the college. I guess I'll expect an email about the enrollment shortly.

Mine shows as enrolled on the Springboard website too, not sure when that changed. I'd assume they're flat out and likely working from home, reckon we'll hear something soon

Advertisement