Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

Same as that spending a lot of time reading literature to do reviews but then struggling to get down to the writing.It being 28 years since last being in college has not helped me either .Having 4 teenagers at home home schooling is making semester 2 more difficult for me as cannot concentrate and dedicate as much time .But will stick with it and finished 21st May i think .Similarly might leave it a year before doing another course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

ballybro wrote: »
    Same as that spending a lot of time reading literature to do reviews but then struggling to get down to the writing.It being 28 years since last being in college has not helped me either .Having 4 teenagers at home home schooling is making semester 2 more difficult for me as cannot concentrate and dedicate as much time .But will stick with it and finished 21st May i think .Similarly might leave it a year before doing another course.

Yeah even without kids I find it tough, moved countries changed careers started up engineering contracting and needed to work about 45 hours a week on this project which is a big change from last job 37.5. I am going to try and get the springboard employment thing out if way early to focus on actual modules. It's not the best use of time but saving me 5,500 of the cost of my course for doing this employment and effectivity course so won't complain too much. Same as the course is more demanding then I expected! But being very busy is a good complaint in the current situation where some people are unable to work. Hopefully springboard course has meant some people on forced leave can have a sense of accomplishment and something to throe themselves into when stuck at home

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Atchoo22

Haven’t done any of these courses but got an email today from the Institute of Bankers offering springboard funded courses. Might be of interest.

I'm doing the Certificate in Fund Accounting in Dublin Business School, Its very interesting, good lecturers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I just finished doing a professional diploma in UX Design and I really loved it.

Passed both my exam and assignments with high marks so I'm thrilled with that.

Would highly recommend it to someone thinking of doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

When will the list of courses for 20/21 be available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

How are people getting on? Have those with demanding courses made it this far? I'm getting their it but a lot of time at Christmas spent with assignments. Really looking forward to finishing to be honest, but it was the year to do it with not much else going on. Will appreciate my free evenings and weekends with no assigments a lot more from May!

Tough! I thought it would be a good distraction during the pandemic, but i find it the opposite. Tied full time to the laptop all day with work, and then to try and drag myself back to the laptop in the evenings is a killer. I will be glad when its over.

As a matter of interest do any of ye get much communications from your college? I get zero, no calls, mails, nothing to see how your getting on or finding the course or if there is anything they can help with. Ive done two assignments so far, and i have not even got my marks back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

mel123 wrote: »
    Tough! I thought it would be a good distraction during the pandemic, but i find it the opposite. Tied full time to the laptop all day with work, and then to try and drag myself back to the laptop in the evenings is a killer. I will be glad when its over.

As a matter of interest do any of ye get much communications from your college? I get zero, no calls, mails, nothing to see how your getting on or finding the course or if there is anything they can help with. Ive done two assignments so far, and i have not even got my marks back yet.

I am currently doing a course and its shocking. Normally wait 3-4 months for a result after I submit something and no feedback with the result. I think the springboard courses are a cash grab by the colleges. Alot of the lecturers I am seeing are absolutely useless at teaching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭vintcerf

loving the one I am doing. lecturers are excellent but it's getting tough! same as others here - juggling a level 9 and work is a mission!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Horusire wrote: »
    Alot of the lecturers I am seeing are absolutely useless at teaching

Is it because the classes are online that the lecturers are useless or why do you say this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    When will the list of courses for 20/21 be available?

Based on the original post at the start of this thread, I'm going to guess mid or late June .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭This is it

I'd expect most courses for 2020 will be available for 2021 but applications will be during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Has anyone done the science and reg affairs level 8 in UL. Been trying to get information on it but very little on the website and no reply from the college. I'm wondering how tough the science aspect of the course is. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Horusire wrote: »
    I am currently doing a course and its shocking. Normally wait 3-4 months for a result after I submit something and no feedback with the result. I think the springboard courses are a cash grab by the colleges. Alot of the lecturers I am seeing are absolutely useless at teaching

I signed up to a level 9 in DCU. Their online setup is very mature, having been deliverying FETAC level 7/8/9 courses online for many many years at this stage. Our tutors respond on the online forums relatively quickly. I've had to email the college a few times and responses on that medium has been very quick. 1st module finished up at end of January so I'm in early stages of module 2 with first assignment due shortly. Our assignment results have been issued after 3 weeks of submission/closing date. I did an undergrad with DCU through their online platform, hence why I opted for this route again.

It is possible that whichever 3rd level insitutue you have signed up with is new to the online space. It may take them time to work through the teething issues if they are to continue deliverying courses this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭richardkeiths

are you for real.

Youre using tax payers money to study for the craic.

Youve an awful attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭go4it

got a friend in his late 30s, with only leaving cert, but willing to learn and get a better paid job - he started with L6 science (pharma) and worked his way to L7 ( as mature student )
    From his feedback : he's grateful he had a chance to study for free , since he couldn't afford 5k/year and the blended learning meant he could keep his job to feed the family while upskilling , this 3 years

Of course he had fellow students dropping after first semester or first year , but this courses have been a 2nd chance for those willing to move forward but didn't have the money for it ...

previous years the course list was available by end of may , and sign-up till end of june , before the CAO results ( last year pandemic pushed things around a bit )

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

go4it wrote: »
    got a friend in his late 30s, with only leaving cert, but willing to learn and get a better paid job - he started with L6 science (pharma) and worked his way to L7 ( as mature student )
    From his feedback : he's grateful he had a chance to study for free , since he couldn't afford 5k/year and the blended learning meant he could keep his job to feed the family while upskilling , this 3 years

Of course he had fellow students dropping after first semester or first year , but this courses have been a 2nd chance for those willing to move forward but didn't have the money for it ...

previous years the course list was available by end of may , and sign-up till end of june , before the CAO results ( last year pandemic pushed things around a bit )

To add to this, Finished the Hdip in Science in Data Analytics (NCIRL) in December with Springboard, started a new job beginning of this month. Will be 61 next birthday.

There's always room for learning and moving up.

An old manager once told me, "In every job / role there are two types of people, movers and messers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭Soarer

go4it wrote: »

Roughly in the same boat.

45 this summer. Currently employed but looking to progress.
    Started the L6 BioPharma in January just gone.
    Have every intention of progressing to the L7.

Is your buddy's L7 through Springboard too?
    The €5k a year is a bit rich for my blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

are you for real.

Youve an awful attitude

Who said anything about studying for the craic? The course I’m doing is made up of chemistry and biology and is far from any craic. I’m upskilling, far from wasting any tax payers money. The poster asked how were people finding it, where do you find a problem with my answer? Is it because I thought it would be a welcome distraction during a global pandemic seeing as we are in lockdown more often than we are not? Or is it because my feedback about the course is not good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

Who said anything about studying for the craic? The course I’m doing is made up of chemistry and biology and is far from any craic. I’m upskilling, far from wasting any tax payers money. The poster asked how were people finding it, where do you find a problem with my answer? Is it because I thought it would be a welcome distraction during a global pandemic seeing as we are in lockdown more often than we are not? Or is it because my feedback about the course is not good?

Don't waste your time replying to them. What a stupid comment about using taxpayers' money. Some people love to groan.

It's perfectly normal to find a course difficult, especially when coupled with working at the same time. Best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭kala85

vintcerf wrote: »
    loving the one I am doing. lecturers are excellent but it's getting tough! same as others here - juggling a level 9 and work is a mission!

What course are you doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I get a fair bit of communication I email lecturers with questions. I have continuous assessment, got 76% overall in the first semester so hoping to get over 63 this time to get a first. The in term exams are ok as open book etc, and get results in a day or two. Got all the first term final assignment results last week.
    Yeah I'm the same is quite a chore but between this and bring busy with work I count myself lucky.... Or that's what I tell myself anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

I recently finished my springboard course. Was doing the Higher Diploma in Biopharmaceutical & Medical Device Manufacturing.

Plenty of times i thought to myself i wish i hadnt started it.
    That i was too busy and id never be able to get assignments done in time, but i never thought of quitting and now i graduate next week with a first class honours.

Its tough but anything worth doing usually is.

Springboard offers fantastic chance to upskill and id recommend anyone to look through the courses they offer. There will be something for everyone.

For backround, i failed my leaving cert, hated school, went and did an apprenticeship and later went back to school by night to get my degree. And then on to this H.Dip

Dont feel just because you did bad in secondary or you're not an academic that you cant do this. You can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I recently finished my springboard course. Was doing the Higher Diploma in Biopharmaceutical & Medical Device Manufacturing.

That i was too busy and id never be able to get assignments done in time, but i never thought of quitting and now i graduate next week with a first class honours.

Springboard offers fantastic chance to upskill and id recommend anyone to look through the courses they offer. There will be something for everyone.

For backround, i failed my leaving cert, hated school, went and did an apprenticeship and later went back to school by night to get my degree. And then on to this H.Dip

Dont feel just because you did bad in secondary or you're not an academic that you cant do this. You can

Having a bad week doing something similar... this is what I needed to read :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

are you for real.

Youve an awful attitude

:pac::pac: clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I want to echo this sentiment. I started a Springboard course, it was harder than I expected, in the first semester I was so close to quitting, then I procrastinated so long on it that I was well into the second semester when I thought to myself "actually this second semester isn't so bad and, well I'm halfway through, why would I give up now". And finally towards the end I realised I was within striking distance of a graduating with a first so I sweated to get there and I graduated with first. Then last week I found myself doing something in work that I learned from the course and it's raised my profile in the company a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm a big fan of courses and I think that Springboard is 1 of the best initiatives going, I recommend it to everyone, I especially recommend it to people who struggled the first time around with education, you'd be amazed how "easy" things can become when you're an adult doing this stuff, then again a lot of other parts can be next to impossible :)

My advise to anyone who is thinking of signing up is go for it. My advice for anyone thinking of dropping out is to give it another week, speak to your lecturers, take a step back, remember if it was easy everyone would have the qualification you are going for so keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Loubox

Have to say I echo all the positive Springboard comments above.
    I'm 6 weeks away from finishing my course in AIT and I'm so glad I did it. The college have been nothing but supportive with extensions etc and very understanding in the sense that most people on the course are working full-time and may have families at home. All the lectures have been interesting and engaging, same for all the lecturers.
    Can't fault my experience and am giving serious consideration to continuing on once finished this year

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Totally agree with the positive comments.

I only found out about Springboard last summer and applied just before end of July. Luckily I got accepted to more than one of my choices and went for a Level 8 diploma course at NUIG. Overall I've found the course, lecturers and system online very good. At times it was tough but you definitely get out of it what you put into it. As I'm on the last six weeks or so, I think it was definitely worth the time and effort and consider it a great opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

You can search the courses by delivery method. I think non contact courses have a delivery method of 'online'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I’m studying a Higher Diploma in Science at Dublin Business School.

It has been really hard work not only because I haven’t studied in years but because of the research and projects we have to do.

At times I wanted to give it up but I have only three modules left (they are all really research heavy) and the end is in sight.

The vast amount of lecturers at DBS have been great but one or two seem to be plodding along.

Updates from the College are numerous and emails are answered very quickly.

All in all I have learned a lot and it has now prepared me for the possible next step to a Masters.

I wouldn’t be doing the course without Springboard and to be honest it has kept me busy very busy during Covid.

I applaud anyone who has been doing one of these courses who are working and have kids - absolute legends.

Advertisement