Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Was looking into the chemical and processing course run by UCC through springboard, has anyone any experience if it?

Also are the clases recorded and free to watch back as time allows as evenings arent a great time for me but my weekends are usually completely free.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I think about trying Springboard ITC course - any recommendation in Dublin / Dublin South area?
    Not asking about specific course type but general if anyone was particularly happy / unhappy about it and can share opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

zom wrote: »
    I think about trying Springboard ITC course - any recommendation in Dublin / Dublin South area?
    Not asking about specific course type but general if anyone was particularly happy / unhappy about it and can share opinion?

Do you know what area of ITC you would like to study? There are courses which are generalist based but some get quite specific in to other areas of ITC. It would be worth researching the industry to ensure you are signing up to the right course.

As I said I am not asking about specific course but general opinion. People complained here already about peace of one of springboard courses in Cork (?), and I thought if someone took any ITC course in Dublin can say something good (or bad)?
    I know more or less what I want to do but if there is something similar recommended and worth to try I will do it.

zom wrote: »
    As I said I am not asking about specific course but general opinion. People complained here already about peace of one of springboard courses in Cork (?), and I thought if someone took any ITC course in Dublin can say something good (or bad)?
    I know more or less what I want to do but if there is something similar recommended and worth to try I will do it.

By ITC do you mean CIT or ICT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Was looking into the chemical and processing course run by UCC through springboard, has anyone any experience if it?

Also are the clases recorded and free to watch back as time allows as evenings arent a great time for me but my weekends are usually completely free.

You should ask but in my case all classes were recorded and available for looking back at. It was very handy for assignments to be able to flick right back to the lecture.

In fact (and I only copped on to this with a couple of weeks to go) there is very little benefit watching the lectures live. There wasn't much interaction in our class - watching them later meant you could pause to take notes, Google something, replay something or just get a cup of tea/take a break if you wanted to. We had a forum and lab sessions if you wanted to ask questions so attendance wasn't a huge deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

You should ask but in my case all classes were recorded and available for looking back at. It was very handy for assignments to be able to flick right back to the lecture.

In fact (and I only copped on to this with a couple of weeks to go) there is very little benefit watching the lectures live. There wasn't much interaction in our class - watching them later meant you could pause to take notes, Google something, replay something or just get a cup of tea/take a break if you wanted to. We had a forum and lab sessions if you wanted to ask questions so attendance wasn't a huge deal

Did you do the Chemical and Process engineering yourself?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Anyone know when the applications for 2021 will be open/released?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Proferoxa

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Anyone know when the applications for 2021 will be open/released?

I was told the beginning of June.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They've just made a couple of updates to their Facebook page - logo/cover photo and info section. Could be an indication the courses will be announced soon (may tie in with the Government's wider investment plan due today).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭go4it

HCI and Springboard+ offers for 2021 has been made available on website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Just been on springboard website, IT Sligo haven't put theirs up.

I don't see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Nothing coming up for me either

have a feeling that only HCI database was linked to the search page

I'd say they wait for the minister to make a public announcement ( hope he gets a chance to outline the ministry's achievements before any leaving-cert mishaps comes in the public attention... )

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Whats the difference between HCI and ICT courses does anyone know?

Whats the difference between HCI and ICT courses does anyone know?

"The Springboard+ upskilling initiative in higher education offers free and subsidised courses at certificate, degree and masters level leading to qualifications in areas where there are employment opportunities in the economy.

Human Capital Initiative (HCI) Pillar 1 will extend the approach currently in place for ICT under Springboard+. It will offer incentivised places for graduates to reskill in areas of skills shortage and emerging technologies e.g. ICT, High End Manufacturing, Data Analytics, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, via graduate conversion courses. The HCI Pillar 1 funding will provide funding for full-time graduate conversion courses. Courses at level 8 Higher Diploma and level 9 Postgraduate Diploma on the National Qualifications Framework will be funded under this Pillar."

Source: https://springboardcourses.ie/

go4it wrote: »
    HCI and Springboard+ offers for 2021 has been made available on website

So far I can only see Limerick Institute of Technology and Dundalk Institute of Technology added?

The course lists are up! Doesn't look like they're open for applications yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Proferoxa wrote: »
    The course lists are up! Doesn't look like they're open for applications yet though.

I'm not sure it is accurate though as the courses I'm looking at in 2 Colleges alone are last years courses. Check the closing dates. When I looked at springboard a few days ago those courses weren't there. The ones I am looking at now are closing dates of last Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Seems course lists are out today and applications open from Wednesday!

Berty wrote: »
    I'm not sure it is accurate though as the courses I'm looking at in 2 Colleges alone are last years courses. Check the closing dates. When I looked at springboard a few days ago those courses weren't there. The ones I am looking at now are closing dates of last Summer.

The Excel spreadsheets with the 2021 courses can be found here: https://springboardcourses.ie/search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I'm hoping the PDF they have up isn't the complete list, a course I wanted to do, that has been on the list for the past number of years, doesn't appear to be there this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I'm hoping the PDF they have up isn't the complete list, a course I wanted to do, that has been on the list for the past number of years, doesn't appear to be there this time

I noticed a course I’ve done in the past and some others I had looked at are missing also, I expect they’re just “refreshing” the list and not just including the same old courses…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I see UL applied for funding for 37 courses but only 15 of them made the cut.

I see UL applied for funding for 37 courses but only 15 of them made the cut.

Overall there seem to be substantially fewer courses than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 inyoup

I just finished my springboard course, got the results today but obviously won't get diploma until graduation. Can I sign up to another, higher level through springboard already ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Definately seems to be less. And what is there is a bit more...... niche than past years. I suspect they are cutting Springboard back because they will be trying to deal with more 1st year undergraduates this year again due to the "ah sure god help them and the covid when they were trying to study for the leaving cert" policy of the government.

Don't think I'll be applying for anything this year. Not much I am interested in and I'll save it until next year when hopefully they may have more options.

inyoup wrote: »
    I just finished my springboard course, got the results today but obviously won't get diploma until graduation. Can I sign up to another, higher level through springboard already ?

your school needs to mark the springboard course as completed ( since you got the results ) in order to apply to another course.
    have a look into your Springboard account/dashboard and see what's the status on the course you received the results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Choice is not great.

Subject areas have narrowed.

I might do a post Grad Cert springboard course or look into doing an online part time course

Advertisement