Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 damodai

ShevY wrote: »
    Does anyone have any feedback on the MSc in Software Design with Cloud Native Computing from Athlone IT?

Just doing the third semester , anything in particular you'd like to know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Proferoxa

Berty wrote: »
    I was accepted by UL onto an L7 on Monday so that's 3.5 days so that was quick. Whereas AIT have a deadline of the 19th July and won't tell me until after that date.

Even with the two step application process? It took them 5 days to send me a link to apply via the UL website after I had applied on the Springboard site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Proferoxa wrote: »
    Even with the two step application process? It took them 5 days to send me a link to apply via the UL website after I had applied on the Springboard site.

What I did was perform it in unison. I applied on Springboard+ and also on the GPS site on UL which meant that there was a box that I had to populate with the reference number from Springboard+ website after I had applied.

However, it wasn't clear I had to do both or called for, I just happened to notice it when applying directly to UL. The only reason I did this was from experience with AIT who I knew(from 2020) would only ask me to do that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

damodai wrote: »
    Just doing the third semester , anything in particular you'd like to know ?

How was the quality of the module content and teaching? Does the course seem well organized?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 damodai

ShevY wrote: »
    How was the quality of the module content and teaching? Does the course seem well organized?

Semester 1
    Object Oriented Programming I - covered topics very thoroughly ,also prepares for oracle certification in Java .Loads of samples,examples,videos, to get you ready for assesments

Research Methods & Professional Practice - academic research , mostly essays , not as hands on as other subjects but does have a project that took a bit of time

Applied Scripting Languages - Python , well structured , lots of examples , samples showing what is expected in assesments

Container Design and Deployment - well structured , very useful project. Lots of tutorials examples samples.

Semester 2
    Object Oriented Programming II - continued from sem 1 , lots of stuff to learn from

Continuous Build and Delivery - covers a lot of topics , very useful project , tutorials to follow ,examples

Microservices Architecture - Good Content Spring boot/Java , very useful project . Tutorials examples to follow

Engineering Team Project - supervised research project , Decide a topic create a research paper , lots of work

semester 3
    work placement or reseach paper . Work placement your current position or find a local internship or the college will place you in their SRI . Research paper supervisor from college

There is an expectation that you put the necessary time in youself. The lecturers are very approachable ,there is flexibility on Module assesments /project deadlines , if there were clashes lecturers will reschdule as needed .

Its been hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

There's a Level 9 course at UCD called "Graduate Diploma in Design Thinking for Sustainability". I know what Design Thinking is but I'm wondering if anyone knows anyone who has done the course, or anything about it. It's big commitment (full time) - I work part time now, but L9 will look good on my CV... or will it?? I'm into sustainability but do employers care about it? Thanks for any advice or thoughts!! 🀣

Caryatnid wrote: »
    There's a Level 9 course at UCD called "Graduate Diploma in Design Thinking for Sustainability". I know what Design Thinking is but I'm wondering if anyone knows anyone who has done the course, or anything about it. It's big commitment (full time) - I work part time now, but L9 will look good on my CV... or will it?? I'm into sustainability but do employers care about it? Thanks for any advice or thoughts!! ��

if you know anything about design thinking then you'd have to question how you'd stretch that out to be a full course tbh

must be a lot of brainstorming and testing with survey type stuff as the theory is pretty light - ok if you're into that I suppose

https://www.innovators.ie/design-thinking-sustainability/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Any chance of psychology courses being added to springboard?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dogtanian07

Does anyone have any feedback on CCT college? . They have a level 9 MSc in data analytics. I'm considering this versus the level 8 HDip in NCIL. I know the workload will be higher. More interested now in the quality of the course or college. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Any chance of psychology courses being added to springboard?

Not with a September start date anyway.

Additional funding was provided last year to fund a bunch of courses that started in January 2021. Alot of them were repeats of the original courses from September 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

I was accepted by UL onto an L7 on Monday so that's 3.5 days so that was quick. Whereas AIT have a deadline of the 19th July and won't tell me until after that date.

I got accepted by AIT last Thursday, may be course related.

Steven81 wrote: »

I'm waiting on a response from AIT, do you mind me asking what course you got

Steven81 wrote: »

For me I'm waiting on the Bachelors of Business, then again they replied late Friday saying my CV wasn't sufficient as they wanted it in their own format which frankly is marginally different to what I submitted. Anyway, I sent it back to them so waiting on a decision. I have a few days to get a reply as otherwise I risk losing an undergraduate Diploma in UL.

Bachelors is obviously a better 12 month outcome than an UG Diploma in UL but the challenge is whether I am to weigh up the optics of having something from UL over AIT(even when they become a University).

For me I'm waiting on the Bachelors of Business, then again they replied late Friday saying my CV wasn't sufficient as they wanted it in their own format which frankly is marginally different to what I submitted. Anyway, I sent it back to them so waiting on a decision. I have a few days to get a reply as otherwise I risk losing an undergraduate Diploma in UL.

Bachelors is obviously a better 12 month outcome than an UG Diploma in UL but the challenge is whether I am to weigh up the optics of having something from UL over AIT(even when they become a University).

AIT are gaining University status at the beginning of the upcoming academic year

AIT are gaining University status at the beginning of the upcoming academic year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've qualifications from a number of different institutions, from RTC to ITs to UL to NUI and I have to say that in my experience outside of an academic setting the awarding body isn't as important as the content of the course especially when factored into the person's work experience. Anytime I have discussed any of the courses the conversation has always been about the content.

I know that there is a huge difference in qualify of different institutions and to say that there isn't is wrong but I'm just saying in my experience for Springboard type courses which are designed to be part time that the institution isn't as large a factor as it would be. In my opinion people should look at what they would like to achieve (Batchelors, Masters, level 9, anything), then look at the topic they would like to study then go for it.

I also have to say that personally I find post grads a lot easier to do than undergrads so don't use the level of the course as a barometer of the difficulty.

Clareman wrote: »
    I also have to say that personally I find post grads a lot easier to do than undergrads so don't use the level of the course as a barometer of the difficulty.

To another extent the number of credits you achieve can usually define how much work is involved. My L6 was 60 credits and some on the course said it was similar/more work than an L8 they've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

To another extent the number of credits you achieve can usually define how much work is involved. My L6 was 60 credits and some on the course said it was similar/more work than an L8 they've done.
    what course?

Was it 2 years?

FFVII wrote: »
    what course?

Was it 2 years?

1 year. Cert in quality operations and lean.

1 year. Cert in quality operations and lean.

Full time course then surely?

• Advertisement

Full time course then surely?

Nope. Part time, never once attended the grounds of the college due to Covid.

I'll say this though, it was hard going, so much detail and exams in semester 1 and 2 weren't easy either.

Passed, thankfully.

Nope. Part time, never once attended the grounds of the college due to Covid.

I'll say this though, it was hard going, so much detail and exams in semester 1 and 2 weren't easy either.

Passed, thankfully.
    Working aswell?

If you say working and kids then deserve a virtual ðŸ…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Polymer materials level 9

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Working aswell?

If you say working and kids then deserve a virtual ðŸ…

I found working and having small children made Springboard courses most enjoyable, it's not as if you're going to be going out or having a life and you'll probably be up at strange times with nothing to do, my first course happened because I was home alone with a smallie in the house a few evenings a week and because she was such a light sleeper I couldn't have the TV on and I couldn't have headphones on loud in case I missed her so my routine was smallie to bed around 8 and then 4 hours study, bed by midnight, 2 nights a week that was 8 hours that would have been just wasted. Add in half an hour at lunch every day that's just over 10 hours handy.

It's all about managing your time, cut your ties to all distractions, especially online, if you find yourself scrolling through Facebook for an hour in the evening, replace that with college work. If you find yourself watching 2 hours of TV/netflix of an evening, replace that with college work. After that it's about managing the workload, don't let it get on top of you, if you have 2 weeks for an assignment, do it straight away don't wait until the end. Once you get organised you'll be surprised how easy it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dogtanian07

I have accepted the level 8 HDIP in data analytics with NCIRL. Two years blended online. Thanks to all in the thread for info etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone could clarify something for me.
    I’m looking at a higher diploma course with Letterkenny, entry requirements are Honors Degree in business or Finance, min of second class honors, min 30 credits.

I hold 2 professional diplomas, one is level 8, with 2nd class Honors. I have 60 credits (30 from each diploma)

Do I qualify here? I’m not sure, I have the honors and credits, but technically I have a diploma but not a degree? I’ve googled it and tried calling but not getting an answer, any help, greatly appreciated. I really love to do the course..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

gogo wrote: »
    I’m looking at a higher diploma course with Letterkenny, entry requirements are Honors Degree in business or Finance, min of second class honors, min 30 credits.

I hold 2 professional diplomas, one is level 8, with 2nd class Honors. I have 60 credits (30 from each diploma)

Do I qualify here? I’m not sure, I have the honors and credits, but technically I have a diploma but not a degree? I’ve googled it and tried calling but not getting an answer, any help, greatly appreciated. I really love to do the course..

Drop them an email. Fair chance people are still working from home. Only they'll be able to tell you whether you qualify or not.

You technically do not have the qualifications for that course however all colleges have an alternative entry where they take a wider look at things regarding all your qualifications and work experience so it's not a case of you cannot apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

You technically do not have the qualifications for that course however all colleges have an alternative entry where they take a wider look at things regarding all your qualifications and work experience so it's not a case of you cannot apply

Thanks for that, thinking I didn’t but the level 8 bit was throwing me, I’ll send in an application anyway, might get lucky!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, thinking I didn’t but the level 8 bit was throwing me, I’ll send in an application anyway, might get lucky!

They sometimes refer to "Experential" experience as well by having similar modules in other courses and work experience so you never know.

Advertisement